Reference II with Yamaha Receiver?

border411

So here is the picture of my room layout regarding the placement of rears I should use in my setup (if someone can chime in on their opinion I would appreciate it). I went and listened to the RB51's for the mains again and in some types of music I liked them more than other speakers, in some I liked them less (or the same). For HT use they rocked. My room is heavily damped regarding echos with the floors being carpet and a huge sectional. 152364The guys at the store suggested RS42's in the upper rear corners, pulled forward a little. Anyways, does anyone see any issues with using the Reference II's with a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver, or would it be "too bright"?

Why Yamaha ?, that's fine if there is a reason but listening would be best.

I believe this is completely how your ears are. I have a base line 366 running an icon series and it sounds good. Now obviously icon isn't reference but for my HT setup it sounds good and solid from high/mid/low. I will say it does lack some midrange but I blame the settings for this. I would own another but I'm ready for change

does anyone see any issues with using the Reference II's with a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver, or would it be "too bright"?

I am a huge die hard Yamaha fan, love everything about the company. I have a Yamaha Rhino that is bored, stroked, ported and very fast. Before that I had two Yamaha drag quads that were YFZ 450s. IMHO they dominate and are the innovators in almost everything they do. They have been the ones pushing the envelope in the motorsports world always bringing the first cutting edge products to market for everything from the best jet ski to the best crotch rocket to the best quads. They invented the side x sides, their keyboards are the best around IMO, their studio monitors are some of the best bang for the buck you can get, their acoustic guitars are in the same league as their monitors for bang for the buck, the list keeps going. They are just an amazing company.

Now given all of that, for some reason their AVRs were so bright and such a bad match for the RF-7s when I heard them together over ten years ago that I have never been able to forget it. It was the classic tale of going into the Home Theater Store, the sales rep putting in Shrek and cranking it to ear bleeding levels and then walking out of the room. It was loud and so bright. My next audition was at a mom and pop store that had the RF-7s and Paradigm Studio 100's matched to a Harman Kardon AVR. Needless to say I ended up with RF-7s and Harman Kardon.

I'm sure that Yamaha has made some changes to their AVRs in the last ten years but I doubt they have changed their sound signature. If it's being matched with a warmer sounding Klipsch it may be OK but IMO it's not the best match with reference speakers.