Tubed CD player with Kilpsch

DrPyro

I'm in the process of buying a CDP (<$1000) instead of using the Denon DVD-1000. On the short list of players are the following:

Njoe Tjoeb 4000

Arcam DiVA CD72T

Rotel RCD-1070

Rega Planet 2000

I listen to mostly classical and i'm very picky about background noise. It drives me up the walls when i'm listening to a CD and during the quiet movements i hear noise. I know the Denon 3801 does not have the quietest amps or pre/pro (seriously thinking about going to separates and that Stage One just looks SWEET. However, until that time....i don't want to add to the noise i hear now! I will probably mix both Digital and analog connections styles depending on what i'm listening too. (Most critical/classical listening will probably be done via analog)

Right now, the leader is the Njoe Tjoeb 4000, since i can roll the tubes and easily change the DACs to customize the sound to the flavor i like. However, with the tubes am i going to hear an appreciable increase in noise? I can go listen to the other three (but not with Klipsch speakers cwm45.gif) so i'm very concerned about the revealing nature of the klipsch with the tube output of the Raga & Ah!.

Thanks

Dave

PS: If there are any other CDPs i should consider, name them....

------------------

Home Theater

I can't imagine ANY CD or DVD player being responsible for ANY noise.

The Arcam unit seems to be a 'hot' favorite right now.

But so is my player of choice, the Sony DVP-S9000ES. I believe you can still get these at www.JRmusicworld.com for less than $950 shipped.

Do a search on this site for my review on this unit and also at www.audioasylum.com

I consider both the 222ES and 9000ES to be killer units on Redbook, and you get SACD to boot.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-22-2002 at 03:29 PM

DrPyro,

I have the "REGA Planet 2000" and it sound fantastic! Befor this, i had a "WADIA 6" and a "SONY CDPX A7es" but my rega is really better!...The sound is more rich, more vivid, more big and more in your face (but not to much!).

My speakers are the "RF3" like you, and it's just pefect...Maybe with the "Njoe Tjoeb 4000" you will have a little bit more analog sound because of the tube...But one thing is sure, the "REGA Planet 2000" is not harsh.

Best regard,

Freud,

I have used the AH! Tjoeb '99, the AH! Tjoeb 4000 and the original Rega Planet. Each of these players performed quite well for me. I prefered the AH! Tjoebs with NOS Bugle Boy tubes to the Rega, but barely. Maybe it was the idea of having a tricked out CD player.

I also have a McIntosh MCD-7007 which I prefer over the others. My most recent purchase CDP-wise was a Sony DVP-S9000ES. I mainly bought the Sony for progressive scan DVD's but the redbook and SACD performance is excellent. I rarely listen to the McIntosh any more. The 9000ES is a discontinued model now and the price has fallen to the ~$800 range.

The Tjoeb's and the Regas can be had for nearly half the price of the Sony but if you are looking for a DVD player also I highly recommend the Sony.

Good luck!

The consensus at the Hi-Rez Highway Forum members at the Asylum is that many of these players emasculate the highs to get the players to sound warmer like analog. I didn't realize my Anthem was doing it until I started doing comparisons with my Marantz and Sony.

These 'warmer' players may be a better choice with Heritage -- but I found the 9000ES much more engaging with the RF7's.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-23-2002 at 01:44 PM

If they are not listening with super-efficent horns, I discount their opinions to the clearance rack.

I would run, not walk, to hear the $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB (pronounced "new tube") 4000 CD Player. In the equipment archives at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/, ex-Stereophile Dick Olsher says:

"All considered, the Njoe Tjoeb represents a fantastic bargain - a clear 100 on our value for the money scale. Outfitted with the Amperex Bugle Boys , the Njoe Tjoeb remains my reference in the under $1,500 price category. If you're a music lover on a budget, look no further, and treat yourself to this Dutch Bonbon. The old Tjoeb is dead. Long live the Njoe Tjoeb!"

He has since reviewed other, tube modified CD players. See the Heart CD 6000, also a Marantz modified player, at: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/heartcd6000.htm.

"Resolution of low-level detail also competitive with any player I've heard to date priced under $3,000. The sound was integrated from top to bottom; no one octave vied for my attention. The grain and grit I have come to expect from inexpensive players were completely absent."

Everyone calls it a modified Marantz, but the Marantz really begins as a Phillips.

Myself? I would also look for one that is a combination DVD/A and CD player. I use a politely British single disc player, the Rotel 951, which has the famous Burr-Brown chips. It was recommended to me by Ralph Karsten of Atma-sphere OTL amps and I am quite pleased with its performance, build quality and handling. I have not compared other more expensive units since I bought this one. If it has deficiencies, I will admit that I have no way of identifying them. I use a vibration isolation platform made of tennis balls and a 30 pound garden paving tile, which I wrote about for the Enjoy the Music.com web site (see http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/), and this seems to help enough to be worth the twenty dollars invested.

A good remote is essential. The more audio components that have one the better. (I can't think of a earthly reason why speaker cables would ever need a remote control, but if someone made cables with a remote, I am sure it would be handy to have!) This CD unit has one, which is especially nice on single disc units (so you can repeat the disc). The play and stop buttons are black, like the unit, so you can't see them in the dark. The shuffle button, which is the one I use all the time anyway, is in the far right hand corner, so this makes night operation easy.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 06-23-2002 at 03:14 PM

If they are not listening with super-efficient horns, I discount their opinions to the clearance rack.f>s>

cwm13.gif

So what is ole Dickie Olsher using in the way of speakers theses days? Guess we can discount his opinions to the clearence rack too?

My Anthem CD-1 used the Burr-Brown chips, excellent parts quality throughout, and a tubed output. Pricey unit too.

The 9000ES ran circles around it.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-23-2002 at 06:40 PM

deang-

I have read noghting but positive comments about the 9000ES. However, i'm not too intrested in SACD or DVD-A yet (minimial classical releases at this time) and i have the Denon DVD-1000 that works fine with my crummy TV.

Colin-

The Rotel unit is #2 on my list, primarily due to the fact it can decode HDCDs and it has the Brown-Burr DACs. I'm curious since you have posted several glowing reports of the Ah Njoe Tjoeb, Do you have one or have you auditioned it extensively? And why do you prefer the Rotel over the Ah?

Thanks

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

I went shopping for a cheap CD player for my "second system" (breakfast room) back in '98 and came across the Ah! website and ordered one of the hot-rod tubed cheap-o Marantz players. I think is was about $400 including shipping from Europe. It's been in this system (with a Fisher SA-100 amp, T-100 preamp/tuner and a pair of Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds in factory cabinets). It's a fine player for the money and has been trouble-free.

In my main system I have a BAT VK-D5, a tube player that is FAR more expensive (I think it retails for $5000 now). Last year the transport crapped out and I sent it to BAT for repair and had to use the Ah! Tjoeb while it was gone. It sounded TERRIBLE in the main system (where I do all of my "critical" listening) when compared with the BAT--lifeless, thin, shrill. But this is a really unfair comparison--the BAT cost more than TEN TIMES as much! All I know is that the Ah! Tjoeb pretty much sucked in my main system, but is just find for non-critical music to read the newspaper by.

But then again, I really hate CDs for the most part--I listen to vinyl about 85-90% of the time in my main system, so you'll have to take my comments with more than just a wee bit of salt.

Dean-

There are a few titles, but a bad preformance in SACD is still a bad preformance. I typically look for very specific preformances. And as far as i know they are not on SACD. (have not hunted too much for them on SACD)

Colin-

Reguardless of already owning the Rotel, what sound differences do you notice between the Rotel & Njoe Tjoeb? Also, have you heard the tweeked version with either the Brown-Burr OpAmps or the Dan Wright Mods? Does it greatly increase the sonic characterestics?

Thanks for the help.....

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

I prefer the original Rega Planet to the Tjoeb. I find it more analog-like then any other CD player in this price range.

For those really interested in this comparison, an audio cohort is going to bring his fully tweaked Tjoeb with Amperex tube upgrade and all the mods.

We are going to have a Rega vs Tjoeb shootout in the Moondog/Cornwall system with passive and active tube preamplification.

Although I have preferred the Rega in the past, I would like to hear both in my system again for a back to back comparison over a few days.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

"We are going to have a Rega vs Tjoeb shootout in the Moondog/Cornwall system with passive and active tube preamplification."

I'll be curious to hear the results. I've always been curious about those two models. I don't have a tube amp/preamp, but the tube CD has me interested - since I now have a preamp that will reveal more of a tube CD player's good qualities.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-24-2002 at 05:35 PM

I have the Rega Planet and the Ah Tjoeb 99 with Amperex tubes upgrade, a few other goodies, and the battle waged on for months. At present I have settled on the Rega Planet for use with my main 2 channel system. Why? After a few months of doing A B type comparisons of the same CDs the Rega seemed to be the closest to the sound of Vinyl(analog) which comprises the great majority of my source material. It boiled down to some very fine points of preference. The Tjoeb is probably better in terms of upper frequency detail, but the Rega (to me), overall has a very balanced, rich, smooth sound, more low frequency. This was not my impression intitially. The Rega did not shine until several interconnect upgrades down the road. Mobiles friend I believe has done additional tweaks so I cannot speculate on the outcome of that shootout. Your system and personal preferences will be large factors.

Good luck. BTW, I bought both players used, but in excellent condition.

Klipsch out.

2 Channel System

1974 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa PP-1 Phono preamplifier,modified

Rega 3 turntable, RB300 tonearm; Grado

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

Jazman pretty much said what I have felt to be true in my experience in the past. First, the Rega needs a good breakin and also needs to be LEFT ON all the time. It takes quite a while for it to sound its best. And interconnects are very important with this player. IT really comes in to its own with good wire. Avoid MIT and more mellow wire. I have found it does great with the DIYCable Superlative and Edmond his new Silver Audio wire purchase. Cables do make a diff with this player.

Ultimately, I felt the Rega sounded more like vinyl than any player I have had in my system anywhere near the price. IT has a certain richness and ease that is really akin to good vinyl. It's about the only CD player under $1k that I have felt this way about.

Still, I am looking forward to hearing them both again.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>