K-402/Faital pro 200 on top of Khorn bass bin

The Dude

I might have the chance to purchase a pair of K402 horns(if I can convince my wife). But I all ready have the Faital pro 200 16 ohm version, I was going to mate it with Dave's Eliptrac 400, but if I can work this deal out I would like to see if this would work all right. I know there are a few threads that compare certain drivers with certain horns but I have not found one that compares the K402/Faital pro 200 on top of the Khorn bass bin.

Thanks

The Eliptrac 400/Faital HF200 will definately work on top of a Khorn. Problem with using the K-402/Faital HF200 is that I am not sure the combination goes low enough. My traces of the K-402/Faital HF200 do not look like you could use that combination low enough to meet up with the output of the Khorn bass bin at 400 hz. But, it might. Just depends on how it looks with a crossover.

Yes

Geeked get the ElipTrac kit & just alittle elbow grease saves a wad , I did 9 of them Party!!!

I'm thinking this is the way I will go as I want a all diy home theater(or as much as I can diy) I am even building my amps, and building my own horns would just add to that.

Dee, that is what I read about the Eliptrac 400 with the Faital pro 200. If you go to Dave or Al's sites I think there are links there for the forum thread showing the testing. As far as the Diy home theater goes, that is why I built Daves Drift and haven't really listened to them, I built them and hung them on the walls and haven't gotten around to hooking them up to anything. My goal is build Dave's Eliptracs diy versoins, and I am currently building my own power amps,(just waiting on parts availability). There will be some stuff that I just can't build on my own, plus I would rather leave it to the pros to build some.

...ok, am i understanding that the Faital Pro HF200 is tried and proven with Dave's elliptrac horn at 400hz?

Yes, but I think we still need a nice crossover for it. My understanding is that Bob had been mostly busy making sure the parts work together. I've got something hacked out on paper, but it's not optimized - I've got way too many other things going on right now to mess with it. If the combination gains traction I'll give it more attention. By that time, Bob and Al will have something for it too I'm sure.

The Eliptrac 400/Faital HF200 will definately work on top of a Khorn. Problem with using the K-402/Faital HF200 is that I am not sure the combination goes low enough. My traces of the K-402/Faital HF200 do not look like you could use that combination low enough to meet up with the output of the Khorn bass bin at 400 hz. But, it might. Just depends on how it looks with a crossover.

Not sure I understand this one. If the Faital goes low enough with the Eliptrac it goes low enough with the 402. I would not pass up a chance to get a good deal on a pair of 402s as they don't come up too often. The KPT-305-MB uses the 402 as low as 150.

...ok, am i understanding that the Faital Pro HF200 is tried and proven with Dave's elliptrac horn at 400hz?

Yes, but I think we still need a nice crossover for it. My understanding is that Bob had been mostly busy making sure the parts work together. I've got something hacked out on paper, but it's not optimized - I've got way too many other things going on right now to mess with it. If the combination gains traction I'll give it more attention. By that time, Bob and Al will have something for it too I'm sure.

You mean some nice passive crossoovers, That would do the trick.

Not sure I understand this one. If the Faital goes low enough with the Eliptrac it goes low enough with the 402. I would not pass up a chance to get a good deal on a pair of 402s as they don't come up too often. The KPT-305-MB uses the 402 as low as 150.

OK, I was in a hurry so did not post proof. But someone will always want proof so here you go.

This is the HF200 on the K402. The red trace is raw (no crossover) green trace is with a passive crossover.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819831400962_thumb.jpg

Nice job. Hmmm. On Dave's horn It "turns on" almost right at 400Hz. Low order filters are out I think.

Actually that HF200 is pretty tough. I crossed one on the Eliptrac 1st order and went to 100 watts into the speaker and left it running for at least an hour. Never got any indication of any problem with the Fatal running like that.

That is the test I was doing. Seeing if the Faital HF200/Eliptrac could be used on a Khorn at 400 hz and live through the test. I did not want to recommend it for use on the Khorn unless it could survive that.

Nice job. Hmmm. On Dave's horn It "turns on" almost right at 400Hz. Low order filters are out I think.

Actually that HF200 is pretty tough. I crossed one on the Eliptrac 1st order and went to 100 watts into the speaker and left it running for at least an hour. Never got any indication of any problem with the Fatal running like that.

That is the test I was doing. Seeing if the Faital HF200/Eliptrac could be used on a Khorn at 400 hz and live through the test. I did not want to recommend it for use on the Khorn unless it could survive that.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it sounded good, lol.

Hey Bob were these curves with the Faital on the K402 and Eliptrac performed at the same time with the same input signal and drive voltage..?

The K402 should have higher output on axis than the Eliptrac at the lower frequencies due to the Eliptrac losing polar control at lower frequencies in both the vertical and horizontal angles much sooner than the K402 would.

miketn

Mike, those were not done at the same time and I was not making any attempt to calibrate for SPL to be right. They are just FR curves on axis.

Bob

Man I've been looking at these till I'm about cross-eyed[:D]

Thanks Bob....I thought that was the case. These are not a good representation of the low frequency loading of the horns and shouldn't be used as a comparison of that.

The K402 is fully capable of loading a driver low enough for the Khorn if the driver is capable and the crossover is done properly.

miketn