Klipsch Rf-3 as a Surround

ryder

I use an RC 62 with my RF 7's and it sound great. Depending on the avr's EQ'ing/ room correction system, timber matching may or may not be a problem. If you already have the RF 3, try it and see how it sounds.

use or used? Cause it looks like you use a 64?

should sound great. try it. an all RF 5.1 system

experts recommend mounting surrounds high up on the side walls. i'm not mounting cornwalls high up on my side walls.

i will try and mount heresys high up when i get some k-horns back into my theater room

• Moderators

I agree, RF-3's as rear surrounds will be fine with RF-7's up front. Surrounds do not have to be voice matched to your front sound stage.

With that said, do you listen to more music or is this primarily for HT? If HT, I would still recommend wide dispersion speakers as they will provide a much more enveloping sound than a direct firing floorstanding speaker.

I have used my RF3s as rear surrounds mostly for multi channel music. They sounded good. The issue I had was the were too low and were getting blocked by high back of my chair. Right now I have some rb61s sitting on top of those while I look for high enough speaker stands. So if u have a clear path to your listening position u should be fine. Or get some RF52s or 62s for your surrounds and use your RF3s for rear backs if u can do 7.1.

• Moderators

I personally have never used floorstanding for surrounds or surround back speakers but many here have and have really enjoyed it for multi-channel music. For HT, most agree wide dispersion on the sides, slightly behind and slightly above your listening position works best.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the RF-3 isn't near the quality as the RF-7. It would be best if you could get an RF-7, RC-7 or maybe an RF-5.

Not so sure I agree with this. I've heard the RF-7's a few times, and while they do sound the best in the Reference series, the difference really is not as big as some make it out to be. (I do own the RF-3 towers, matching center and surrounds)

• Moderators

It's all good. We all have different ears and have heard various setups with different room acoustics and configurations. I've owned RF-3's and still have RF-7's. My friend has an RC-3 which I've heard and I've owned 2 RC-7's. I'll stick to my assessment that the RC-7 / RF-7 is a big upgrade from the RC-3 / RF-3 system. YMMV.

The OP is asking about using these as surround speakers, not rear. I don't think that is a good ideal since they will be below ear level. They would make great surround back speakers or front wide.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say since he asked about surround speakers, and gave us the description of his front three that he meant for a 5.1 setup. and i'm not sure what kind of seats you have but i can't imagine towers speaker tweeters being much below the listening position. to each their own for wanting the WDST design or not but i think rf-3's will work just fine in your room with the right placement.