SVS PCI 25-31

derrickdj1

I see it is rated to 25 Hz which is a pretty true measurement for SVS subs compared to some other subs. I hate to replace the Epik Legend or Premiere Acoustic PA-150. They are both great for music but the PA 150 wins in the HT department. It will mostly be paired with the PA 150 since it is a high output monster. So, $ 200 is a good price for one in mint condition!

A welcome addition and integrated with the two other subs! Level matched all three, and placement of the smallest one close to the listening position. I used Gedde's method for 3 subs all placed asymetrically. I was surprised the the SVS is very musical.

A welcome addition and integrated with the two other subs! Level matched all three, and placement of the smallest one close to the listening position. I used Gedde's method for 3 subs all placed asymetrically. I was surprised the the SVS is very musical.

BackRow-Stools.jpg

And it can do double duty as a high top cocktail table.[:)]

Bill

The cocktail table pic, I found on the internet. I state, I did not do that in my room! Integrating the 3 subs did not take long and there are benefits to using non-identical subs. I like the blended bass from the subs and the SVS gives me more infra- sonic where as, the Epik Legend and PA 150 give me better perfromance above 60 Hz. The nice thing is I can do reference level with none of the subs working hard in a room around 7000 cubic ft. The bad thing is I owe my wife another vase after testing the bass.

Infrasonics is everything below 20Hz. That's not what this sub is built for.

Very true: I should have correctly said sub-bass. None of my subs are rated below 20 Hz, but I am getting some very usable stuff down to around 16 Hz which is plenty for me. The subs can rattle things in the room and the pictures on the wall which my wife is not crazy about.

Interestingly, I calibrated each sub to roughly 75 db. All 3 together measures around 82 db. I loose spl if the nearfield sub is not set 180 degress out of phase.

Also, on running test tones, I get sound down to roughly 16 Hz and then practically nothing. The spl is down 5-7db at 16 Hz compared to 25 Hz. The proted sub, SVS and PA 150 are rated to 25 Hz and the Epik (sealed) down to 20 Hz. But, I don't think the Epik is as strong as the other 2 subs under 25 Hz.

Interestingly, I calibrated each sub to roughly 75 db. All 3 together measures around 82 db. I loose spl if the nearfield sub is not set 180 degress out of phase.

Sounds like you have them set up correctly.

Also, on running test tones, I get sound down to roughly 16 Hz and then practically nothing. The spl is down 5-7db at 16 Hz compared to 25 Hz. The proted sub, SVS and PA 150 are rated to 25 Hz and the Epik (sealed) down to 20 Hz. But, I don't think the Epik is as strong as the other 2 subs under 25 Hz.

Room gain will allow you to have readings below the normal usable range of the subs.

The sealed sub may surprise you as far as output in the lower Hz goes. The ported subs have more output down to their tuning frequency then fall off fast. Sealed subs fall off more gradually. Regardless, the sub amps most likely have a filter to protect them from damaging themselves during the really low stuff. That's why your readings disappear around 16Hz.

Room gain will allow you to have readings below the normal usable range of the subs.

The sealed sub may surprise you as far as output in the lower Hz goes. The ported subs have more output down to their tuning frequency then fall off fast. Sealed subs fall off more gradually. Regardless, the sub amps most likely have a filter to protect them from damaging themselves during the really low stuff. That's why your readings disappear around 16Hz.

Thank you for your explanation CECAA850. Iam very pleased with the results.

Thanks reference_head. How do you like runnig 3 subs? I never had an SVS sub and always wonder how a 50 lb. sub is as good as a 90 lb. sub. Now I am an SVS fanboy. I did find it interesting that the Premiere Acoustic has the highest spl reading of the three subs. But, the SVS has a quieter character for music and really sound great with music if only using one sub. All three subs have some positive qualities to bring to the system. I am surprised my wife let me put 3 subs in the family room, lol. She is a sweet heart.

I used to run 3 different subs at one time and also had good results (def tech super cube1, empire, and a pb12plus was my last combo of 3 different). Its fun to play with different subs and see what they can do compared to each other. Before that i had two klipsch subs and a dbx sub. I have found now that if you can get a good placement with one monster sub (pb13) its plenty if you only have one main lp like i do. Its harder if you have more than one lp to get even bass though. I tried to sell my two pb12+s with no luck so i guess i will just keep them. I like 3 subs but i have read its not a good number for some reason not sure why its always worked good for me. If you can get one sub placed like this its money imo.(will pound your heart out lol)

post-50231-1381983204917_thumb.jpg

That is nice looking and powerful sub. I have to cover sweet spots, so a better overall room response is what I need. I live with all women and they are not has big on the LFE stuff as I am, even though I don't consider myself a bass head since I listen to a lot of jazz music.

Infrasonics is everything below 20Hz. That's not what this sub is built for.

Very true: I should have correctly said sub-bass. None of my subs are rated below 20 Hz, but I am getting some very usable stuff down to around 16 Hz which is plenty for me. The subs can rattle things in the room and the pictures on the wall which my wife is not crazy about.

according to user JOSHJP the empires are -30db at 20 hz because of some filter that epik out in there. That is why he is selling his. And going with psa. So that is why the legend would not seem as strong down low I'm sure.