Transporting K-Horns

Hi,

I'm going to pick up a pair of Klipschorns. I was wondering if anyone knows if they will fit inside a Nissan Pathfinder? My other option is to rent a trailer and attach it to my hitch. The trailer doesn't have the best shocks so I would have to bubble wrap the hell out of the K-horns and hope for the best. Once I get these babies setup I will A/B them with my Cornwalls and give a review. Thanks

trader, naked Klipschorns weigh about 165 lbs apiece and have a base that will fit into a 32" x 29" space standing up... they are about 52" tall. Since the back are "open" special care is required.

If you tie them securely face-to-face (with bubble wrap or an old quilt in-between) they make a very stable footprint... cover them with a tarp securely wrapped around them... you should be able to make the trip with ease... or at least I did with mine.

You can also transport them laying face down on thick padding (a couple of U-Haul blankets for example) as long as you have a surface area that is wide enough to allow two Klipschorns laying face down on their 32" x 52" fronts. Cover with a tarp... and this way has the advantage of less wind resistance.

Good luck and welcome to the PWK Heritage experience. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-24-2002 at 02:44 PM

Trader,

I also drove a pathfinder for 5 years.

I brought home a 45 inch big screen tv home in mine. It was a very tight fit.

The only way would be to lay them on there sides. I would bring the trailer if I were you. Stop at a U-Haul and get a couple of moving blankets (the good ones).

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Danny

I've got a Suburban-no way Khorns are going in a Pathfinder. If you could squeeze them in there you'd trash them in the process. Trust me, they are very unwieldy. Your best bet is go with the trailer or rent a truck w/ air suspension from Ryder or Uhaul. Use sleeping bags or 4" hospital bed foam from a medical supply store to protect the fronts and corners.

If these are in good shape you want to go to extraordinary lengths to keep them that way during transportation. If you gash the veneer or crush a corner you will be suicidal.

I know they will fit in a regular Ford Explorer, so we are getting closer in size to the pathfinder. They had about 4 inches to spare whan layed down on the sides and supported and wrapped up. I would still say the Pathfinder is too narrow.

Mike

------------------

1977 K-Horns

Wright Sound 2A3 Monoblocks

AMC CVT 1030 PreAmp

Jolida 602A CD

Thorens TD-165

Silverline Speaker Cables

Various Monster Interconnects.

I sure would hate to drive so far and not get them in my truck so for 20.00 and a light kit (who knows what they will charge for that). I will take the trailer as insurance. I guess I'll bring lots of bubble wrap, blankets and whatever I can find that is padded. Oh. I better not forget a tarp in case it rains. Not that would be a bummer. It costs several hunderd to rent a u-hual truck so that is out. The wife gave no objections to taking a ride to get these speakers. I told her it was a dream of mine to own a pair. I'm still trying to find a place for my Cornwalls but I don't really have the space. I bought the Cornies new and while I have upgraded CD players, VHS/Beta, DVD players, amp, recievers, preamps, turntables, etc. the Cornies have always stayed. I have pictures of them so where in this forum. I'll see if I can find a link. It would be nice to sell them here to a member instead of Ebay. However, they would have to be close to NYC since there is not way that I would ship these beauties. http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/trader/single.jpg

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/trader/cornwalls.jpg

This message has been edited by trader on 06-24-2002 at 10:39 PM

Trader,

You may consider a small ENCLOSED trailer. Uhaul has them reasonably priced. A tarp over the speakers will possibly be a problem at highway speeds.

They have small trailers, maybe 8 or 10 ft. Lay the speakers on blankets, face down. Or stand upright, secured tightly to the tiedown points of the trailer. Secure against shifting. Pads or moving blankets to protect from rubbing. Several tiedown straps would be a good thing to bring (or rent). Balance the weight in the trailer.

Good luck!

Fred

This message has been edited by k2dx on 06-25-2002 at 12:15 AM

Go with the enclosed u-haul trailer...for sure!! put speakers face down. Use u-haul blankets under them...BUT, since u-haul blankets sometimes have some debris embedded in em, use a nice soft blanket from HOME to put between speaker face and u-haul blankets...be sure tops are protected with some padding in same way...put em face down side by side if at all possible...and you should be ok!! Do everything possible to prevent them sliding around or rubbing against each other or other surfaces...good luck!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Am I missing something??? Rent a van, take out the seats...Use lots of covers...and you should be fine.

Looked at another way, would 100 or even 200 dollars matter in the long run if you get home and they are damaged.???? No think again.

Looking forward to your review!!

JC,

The speakers I have are one owner speakers and are in a non-smoking home. They have been treated well and are in excellent condition. The finish is Birch and I had a custom stain applied by a professional/friend of mine. I've gotte many comliments on the finish. The grills are cane with no tears, rips or soil with original emblems. The drivers and cossovers are all original and sound wonderful. There may be a few scratches on the bottoms but the sides and tops are in pristine condition. They are Cornwall II's which I purchased in or around 85 (whish I had a better memory). The backs aren't removable. I'm asking 800.00 and may even have the manual some place. However, I need to have my K-horns in place before I part with my babies. I should have them in the next two weeks or before. Thanks for asking.

I have used a Pathfinder (1992) to transport Khorns in the past. Fold the rear seats down and you can fit exactly one (1) Khorn in the back. It is a tight fit, but a single Khorn will fit in the back. There is no way to fit two Khorns in a Pathfinder (unless it's a convertible)! Rent the covered trailer and bring plenty of old blankets with you.