HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

I tested the Masking system last night and it worked flawless.

See it in action:http://www.soleproductions.com/Shaun/AVS/DIY_Screen_Mask.MOV

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

I used mason line and duck tape for the test run. I will be using paracord for the final install to reduce streaching.

The top rail will be held by the velvet and won't require string.

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

• Moderators

That is a super sweet DIY Masking system! People sometimes spend thousands on an electric masking system (main reason why I didn't bother with one). It will be sweet to see it in action in a few weeks. Cmon bro, time is running out. You have tomorow off. Bust it out! [:D]

I built the masking guide system yesterday.

10' aluminum top and bottom. I got lucky and found these at a discount warehouse for $10 each.

I removed all but the back flat bar so it would slide between 1/8" steel flatbar and a sanded 2x4.

I put glued a strip of wood i the channel to give me something to staple the fabric to. I wrapped the fabric a full rotation so it wrapped all the way around.

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

the side masking will have a 5/8" 45deg routed edge covered in velvet that will fit in the groove. This will provide overlap.

IMG_2227.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

IMG_2231.jpg

2" rigid fiberglass accoustic insulation behind the center speaker.

IMG_2230.jpg

The top masking is attached and complete.

I need to figure out what is broken on the sewing machine to sew a weight pocket for the bottom one before I can put it on.

At least that is the easy of the two.IMG_2232.jpg

Silver spandex over White. Can't wait to try the projector.

IMG_6452.jpgIMG_6452.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1

The room look freaking amazing Wake. Im in the process of obtaining parts to build a masking system as well and ordered an automated curtain system. Will be builing a frame around my fixed screen to install masking system. I looked at many of your picks for ideas and found some great DIY videos on YouTube. I am going to purchase a automatic blind for a 48 window to get the tubing with built in motor and spring. Then Ill grab some Para cord to make the work in conjunction with each other. Should be fun/complicated but nice when done. Again your setup is looking fantastic.

The room look freaking amazing Wake. I’m in the process of obtaining parts to build a masking system as well and ordered an automated curtain system. Will be builing a frame around my fixed screen to install masking system. I looked at many of your picks for ideas and found some great DIY videos on YouTube. I am going to purchase a automatic blind for a 48” window to get the tubing with built in motor and spring. Then I’ll grab some Para cord to make the work in conjunction with each other. Should be fun/complicated but nice when done. Again your setup is looking fantastic.

Thanks MichaelandKlipsch. I appreciate the complements. They really motivate me to keep posting. It is boring to post in a thread that nobody replies to.

If you have any questions about this masking setup let me know. I will help where I can. Do you have a 2.35:1 masking to a 16:9?

That 130" screen looks enormous! That should really enhance the HT experience

It actually is bigger than I realized. Even with projecting the image and trying it you don't get the same effect. I love the way it looks in the room.

I really like the look of the silver spandex. It isn't so "in your face" bright white spot on the wall when not in use. Aesthetically it looks great.

I just put it up last night and am anxious to find out how I like it with the projector. I honestly am nervous about it being to dark....We shall see.

Yes I use a 115 2:35:1 scopes screen. I ordered an automated curtain system which is at the touch of a remote but I want to install the masking underneath it sometime this summer. Ill be sure to message you when im ready. Looking at some parts etc already for it. keep up the good work it will be worth it. it too me almost 4 months to do my room with the full THX setup + screen + recessed alcove for my JVC projector. If you havent seen my rooms alterations my thread is Mikeys Home Theater Construction Mode

Yes I use a 115” 2:35:1 scopes screen. I ordered an automated curtain system which is at the touch of a remote but I want to install the masking underneath it sometime this summer. I’ll be sure to message you when im ready. Looking at some parts etc already for it. keep up the good work it will be worth it. it too me almost 4 months to do my room with the full THX setup + screen + recessed alcove for my JVC projector. If you haven’t seen my rooms alterations my thread is Mikey’s Home Theater Construction Mode

I have browsed your page on several occasions. Mostly if I ever want to feel inadequate about my Sub. ha-ha.
I love the attention to detail with the decorations. Very nice. The Amp rack is still my favorite visual aspect of the room.

My masking system is also IR remote controlled. Components from the Da-lite remote controlled screen. The codes should be easy to program if I ever get my Harmony remote.

Then I share you comment in feeling equally appreciative. Both of us have put in a lot of work and turned out beautiful. The wow factor on your room will have peoples mouths on the floor with the masking system being automated etc on a 130 screen. May be difficult to get people to leave your house. Be careful ;)

For now Im done working on the theater room Until mid-summer when the curtains and masking system will go up. I finally started my other passionate hobby that I have wanting to do for 4 years but had to wait due to moving and having the house built etc. My Saltwater Reef Tank. Just established 120lbs of live rock in a 80 gallon euro reef bow front tank with a 30 gallon sump. Never resting always working on something lol

post-54550-13819853979984_thumb.jpg

For now I’m done working on the theater room Until mid-summer when the curtains and masking system will go up. I finally started my other passionate hobby that I have wanting to do for 4 years but had to wait due to moving and having the house built etc. My Saltwater Reef Tank. Just established 120lbs of live rock in a 80 gallon euro reef bow front tank with a 30 gallon sump. Never resting always working on something lol

We share that. If you catch me spending a day just relaxing...I am sick or seriously injured.
My 11 year old daughter suggested I put a huge aquarium behind the theater seats separating the pool table from the HT end of the room. "A big one, that goes to the ceiling." Cool idea, but I will get ill if I can't see the football game while shooting pool.

Check out my bathroom remodel if you haven't already. :
"Clothing Optional Media Room"
I have been browsing the forums for years, Youth is my best friend and finally talked me into creating the account and posting the build. I finally can comment on post. Maybe when I finish this leg of the project I can have time to enjoy others work and more.

• Moderators

Less typing, more working. LOL Hope we can watch a movie when we are visiting in two weeks. [:D]

I'm officially jealous of your room. [;)] I still can envision one day down the road, you upgrading to the RF-7 / RC-7 or RF-83 / RC-64. You know I'm looking out for another sweet deal on a set for you.