HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Just a note about the APC Smart UPS 3000.

We had storms tonight and lost power 3 times for while using the HT.

System never missed a beat. Short outages but I was pleased to finally not be damaging the bulb.

It will handle everything except the Mackie Sub.

At well over 100lb each I had to find a way to cut the pieces for the hearth. This is what I came up with.

Took apart my mechanic's creeper and built a wooden T-Square frame on it.

Disassembled the tile saw from its original sled.

I mounted the tile saw on the side of the table and used the 2x4 as a guide rail.

I used a continuous spray from a water hose in addition to the water pump for additional cooling.

For a harbor freight tile saw I was asking a lot, but it did the job.

I was lucky enough to have a couple great friends help manhandle those big rocks.

sled.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

That's some real ingenuity there. I like it.. Was installing that stone like tile real hard to put up. I want to use something like that on a bar I want to build out side.

I'm with you. I love the stone veneer look, but it takes forever to put that puzzle together. I have spent many hours putting that stuff up. Getting the morter right helps, but you still have alot of trying pieces and cutting.

Help me out....

I would like some input from you guys about how to do this speaker grill.

Above the fireplace stone, below the mantel is a shelf for the RS-35ii for the right side channel.

Right now black linen or spandex cloth is what I have in mind, but don't think it will look that great.

Dark Red/Maroon is another other option as the pool table felt would match.

I will be adding acoustic panels in the room also that would probably make sense to match.

Speaker will be behind the black rectangle.

fireplace10_1.JPG

Columns will match those surrounding the screen.

I was considering ordering something like this to go on the grill cloth so it doesn't look so much like a speaker opening.

I realize I am putting something in front of my speaker, but I don't think it would inhibit sound enough to matter on the surround speaker.

fireplace_wood.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

• Moderators

If it were me, I would not put anything in front of the speaker. If it's pretty cheap, you could buy it and try it before permanently mounting it to see how much it interferes with the sound. I just can't see how putting wood in front of a woofer would not hinder it's performance. But I have no real world experience to support my thoughts. I guess it would also depend on how large this decorative piece is.

To me, black would be subtle and the red would stand out.

If it were me, I would not put anything in front of the speaker. If it's pretty cheap, you could buy it and try it before permanently mounting it to see how much it interferes with the sound. I just can't see how putting wood in front of a woofer would not hinder it's performance. But I have no real world experience to support my thoughts. I guess it would also depend on how large this decorative piece is.

To me, black would be subtle and the red would stand out.

$34 so not to bad, but enough I don't want to do it and not keep it. With so many holes in it on a wide dispersion speaker I just wasn't sure.
The black by itself may look just fine. I think I will do raised panels on each side of it to match what the cabinet doors will be.

Well, since you guys all ready decided on black I won't try to persuade you to go with red. I know it stands out but that's what I like. Wait I might use red, I don't want you to use the same color I have. Wait I might use black as well, crap I hope this doesn't make you choice hard to make. But if it does just remember your wife must like it over all.

• Moderators

That is one KILLER looking room Shaun. Who would ever know that on the other side of the walls is the rest of your basement and your workshop. Absolutely incredible from where you started just a few years ago. I'm really glad you busted out the Canon because the iPhone pic you sent me yesterday doesn't do the room justice. I know the bricks were a tedious but the work really paid off.

You not only have a very usable, functional room but it's drop dead gorgeous.

BTW, I love the panorama shot.

Take a break this weekend bro....then finish the trim on your cabinet. [:D]

Not to bad for a DIY project.

BEFORE: (actually during, earliest pic I could find)

Build%20(2).JPG

AFTER:

HT_Panorama_small1.JPG

Beautiful room and a most impressive DIY project. I just looked at your initial post with the "vision" diagram and it's amazing how close that is to the end results. Lot's of things can change between theory and application,so kudos for a job well planned!!! [Y]

post-53536-13819858495098_thumb.jpg

Edited by Youthman