HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Wait is that a man cave or a bat cave.

I just looked up the details on that "Bat cave"....$2 Million. Wow.

That is not "a man cave" the Bat Cave is "THE man cave."

And it's only useful for a single movie series. I'll bet you he buys the next Bat Man movie on bluray whether it's good or not!

The waiting game is almost over. When I return I will finally have the system of my dreams.

Youth has been saying for years he would help me find a system like this I could buy. Youthman.....You ROCK!

I am ridiculously excited.....

RF7ii's - Fronts

RC-7 - Center

RS-35's - Sides

RS-35's - Rears

Mackie SRS1500 Sub

• Like 1

Man wake I hate to be the bearer of

Bad news but I just looked up that sub and it's only rated to 38hz. That is by far the weakest link in your setup. You seem pretty handy you should build a pair of what I have but finish them in like stone or something and put them next to your new entertainment center. That would be badass and one of a kind for sure

Man wake I hate to be the bearer of

Bad news but I just looked up that sub and it's only rated to 38hz. That is by far the weakest link in your setup. You seem pretty handy you should build a pair of what I have but finish them in like stone or something and put them next to your new entertainment center. That would be badass and one of a kind for sure

I have looked over the build of your 18's before and must say it is tempting. You did a good job on them. Good looking solid build.

Maybe one day...

I built a few custom sub boxes in the car audio world that faired well in competitions. Yes...I guess you could say I'm "pretty handy." ;-)Building it is easy, that's not the issue, but one step at a time. As with most of us on here, cash determines schedules.

That Mackie is a commercial sub designed for auditoriums. I bought it when I ran sound for a small Christian rock band. It has served me very well as an HT sub once that gig played out. It puts out more than you might think. That thing is huge. It has good bass, but going to an RSW-15 like Youth has would be an upgrade. Not sure it has much more bass, but I remember it being tighter and a little cleaner than mine and I am sure will hit lower frequencies. Wish I could have heard them both in the same room. My room is about 18x35 and Youth's is 13x19, so it wasn't apples to apples.

A custom build with a pair of 18's would be insane...and tempting.

I doubt I would put the subs up front visible just to maintain the look I want. I left room where I built in my sub that I could stack 3 15" or a pair of 18" if I ever decide to.

I don't think my old pair of RF-3ii's could keep up with a pair of 18's so that upgrade is just now even feasible.

There are a few of us that use the RS 35's for side or rear surrounds and they are great in that role. Right now I have a pair as FH that match up with the RF 7's very well. That is on one bad momma jama!

Good to hear! I was wondering how well the sound would match up.

I like the look of the RS-35's and already have one wall mounted and built a custom slot over the fireplace for the other side.

RS-62's wouldn't fit.

The rear sound is ceiling mounted and angled down.

Ceilings are 8'2" and the 62's would hang low enough people could reach up and mess with it.

You didn't even know the S1's were on the ceiling until you heard them and the RS-35s will fit that spot well.

Edited by WakeJunkie

Oh I have no doubt it's loud. Looks like a pro sub and they play loud just not low at all. Lots of stuff below 38 hz in movies. That's where all rumbling happens. I've been told that same brand 15 and 18 that the 18 will move twice as much air so it would take double the 15's to equal an 18. You have a monster room. I'd want at least the 4 I have to get reference levels. I'd prolly do 6 or 8 in that size of room. And as far as anything keeping up? Subs just get turned down, headroom is SOOO nice to have. That's what my 4 18's gave me over my dual Svs ultras.

• Like 1

I am also a fan of big subs for that big of a room. My subs are in a 13-1,400 sq ft open concept basement entertaiment room. An 18 in can work with RF 3 speakers, it is just a matter of calibration. The also don't use much power as smaller subs. I have two 18.1 Chase subs stacked and a Chase 18.2 and the bass is crazy loud in movies with good low extension, more tha I care for sometime, lol. They are tight and fast for your music taste. I am 85% music and BR movies 15%. Sealed 18 in subs help with space issues.

Edited by derrickdj1

• Moderators

How did I miss the last 5 posts? The new forum isn't notifying me of every reply in this thread even though I've subscribed or am "following" it.

I would say Wake is probably in bed getting some rest as he will be heading this way around 4am in the morning but if he was like me the night before picking up the RF-7ii's system, I couldn't sleep at all! LOL

Wake, while you are down here, remind me to get out my Test CD. I haven't tried to see what the RSW-15 sounds like with low frequencies. We can see how low the RSW-15 will go and how loud it will play at those frequencies. I honestly don't know what 20hz sounds like vs 40hz. The RSW-15 is rated at 19Hz and your Mackie is at 40Hz. I've heard it and there is no doubt it has plenty of output. The Ghosts 'n' Stuff from Art of Flight sounded fantastic on your HT. Not sure how low that song goes. The Mackie wasn't designed for HT so it's not surprising that it doesn't dip extremely low. It was designed for huge output in large venues. Your room is very large and it does a very good job at providing slam in your HT.

Wake, if you hang out around here long enough, these guys will talk you into all sorts of upgrades that you don't "need". LOL Ah but that's why I keep coming back. There's always something to tweek.

Art of flight music won't have much real low stuff. To me no home theater is complete without some REAL LFE. Sorry youth, but if your subs can't keep up with your mains then to me you are missing a very large chunk of the experience. Not saying his sub doesn't have the output cause I'm sure it has as much as a pair of mine above 40 hz but the stuff below that is where the magic happens in movies. Watch war of the worlds at your place tomorrow then again at your house and I assure you that scene will be completely different. And that's assuming that the rsw-15 can handle it. My Svs ultra pair had a hard time playing that scene at reference so I'm not so sure the rsw-15 will play it. But either way. Play some test times from 40 hz. Then play em on down to 20 maybe even try something like 16 hz. It's incredible what will shake in your house at 16hz.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_9041.JPG

The RF-7ii's are HOME!

I had a great vacation hanging out with Youthman and his wonderful family.

Returned home with a truck overloaded with lots of great new toys.

RF-7ii's, RC-7, RS-35's to go with the RS-35's I already had.

This system is simply fantastic! The soundstage on the 7ii's is almost unbelievable.

In 2 channel mode I still swear I can hear the center channel... So much that I had to get up and check...nope....the 7ii's sound that good.

I was also impressed with the RC-7. Watching football Saturday night I notices a SIGNIFICANT improvement in center channel performance over the RC-3ii.

The soundstage on the RC-7 is wide enough that it sounds like the sound is coming from the mouth of the person no matter where on the screen they are.

The RC-3 always sounded like it was coming from the center of the screen. I thought that was great. I had no idea it would sound that much better.

I also added a media PC in the HT this weekend that emulates Airplay. It has a digital audio out, and so far I have been pleased with the result.

• Moderators

Yes, it never really ends....we were just talking this morning about sometime down the road upgrading his sub since it plays down to 40Hz. I gave wake a Test Tone CD and he said that he could clearly see how he is missing bass content between 20 Hz and 40 Hz.

With his woodworking skills, I can easily forsee Wake designing an IB sub with one or maybe even two 18" drivers. Now that would be sweet!!!

IMG_9041.jpg

The RF-7ii's are HOME!

I had a great vacation hanging out with Youthman and his wonderful family.

Returned home with a truck overloaded with lots of great new toys.

RF-7ii's, RC-7, RS-35's to go with the RS-35's I already had.

This system is simply fantastic! The soundstage on the 7ii's is almost unbelievable.

In 2 channel mode I still swear I can hear the center channel... So much that I had to get up and check...nope....the 7ii's sound that good.

I was also impressed with the RC-7. Watching football Saturday night I notices a SIGNIFICANT improvement in center channel performance over the RC-3ii.

The soundstage on the RC-7 is wide enough that it sounds like the sound is coming from the mouth of the person no matter where on the screen they are.

The RC-3 always sounded like it was coming from the center of the screen. I thought that was great. I had no idea it would sound that much better.

I also added a media PC in the HT this weekend that emulates Airplay. It has a digital audio out, and so far I have been pleased with the result.

Looks awesome Wake. I had always envisioned cherry 7's but after seeing the black, I must say they really tie everything together. The black screen frame and woodwork blend great with the copper and black.

Welcome to the RF7II club :emotion-46:

Edited by Youthman

Yes, it never really ends....we were just talking this morning about sometime down the road upgrading his sub since it plays down to 40Hz. I gave wake a Test Tone CD and he said that he could clearly see how he is missing bass content between 20 Hz and 40 Hz.

With his woodworking skills, I can easily forsee Wake designing an IB sub with one or maybe even two 18" drivers. Now that would be sweet!!!

missing stuff below 40 is a very big deal in the home theater world also. That was why I was saying that was by far the weakest link in his system. Edited by Scrappydue

Looks awesome Wake. I had always envisioned cherry 7's but after seeing the black, I must say they really tie everything together. The black screen frame and woodwork blend great with the copper and black.

Welcome to the RF7II club :emotion-46:

Thanks, I had a chance at original RF-7's in Cherry, but they would be a different color than the wood already in the room.

I (and my wife) both like the black better.

Took a pic with my real camera tonight.

RF-7ii_Panorama.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie