HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Man I LOVE that last pic! Willland recently mentioned how he has never been a fan of black speakers (me either) but the contrast between the copper cones and satin black finish is beautiful.

Same here, but when I saw these babies I fell in love.

I always wanted the cherry wood, but honestly I couldn't be happier.

I have some rigid acoustic insulation that I plan to build my panels out of and stacked several in the corner opposite the sub last night to see what a bass trap there would do. 6" thick 4' wide and floor to ceiling on the part of the wall that sticks out into the room near the foosball table. Back left corner where Sub is front right.

It killed my bass. Not completely gone, but at lease a 30% decrease.

Apparently I am living on positive reinforcement and that is why my sub seems to put out so much.

Not what I was hoping for...

• Like 1

It killed my bass. Not completely gone, but at lease a 30% decrease.

I'd guess it cleaned the bass up that's left though. You basically removed some of the reflected bass that was bouncing back into the room, you really don't want it anyways.

Think of a speaker in an untreated room. You get reflections off all the walls, ceilings and floors. It sounds like crap. Remove the reflections (treat the room), the sound cleans up and is less harsh. You hear the sound from the speaker and not the reflections milliseconds later that muddy up the sound.

Your next foray to take your room to the next level is to get a sub designed for HT, or in your case, possibly build one.

Edited by CECAA850

• Moderators

With his skills he'd be crazy not to build it... :ph34r:

I too see some form of custom IB sub in Wake's room. This is the same guy that remodeled his bathroom and installed a 37" LED TV behind tempered glass and a added a Polk Audio Subwoofer in the ceiling. You can check out his "Clothing Optional Media Room" Build Thread.

7ea46522_IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpg

I don't currently plan to add a ceiling. I actually really like the look of the black joist with all the wiring in conduit. It also gives the basement a taller feel. It is 9' floor to top of joist so the basement does not feel like a basement at all. I am afraid adding a ceiling would make it feel smaller.

As far as the sub goes I got to thinking about it and the positive reinforcement really explains a lot. My sub is turned WAY down. It is a pro audio sub so there is a level converter between the receiver and the sub. Before I moved the sub into the cubbie It was straight up at 0, and the sub was just over half and the calibration software was able to get within its +- 12dB. After the move Youthman was at the house the first time I really got to fire it up with "Art of flight" and it was crazy LOUD and overwhelming. I manually turned it down. I later calibrated and audacity had set the sub to -12dB, lowest possible setting.

I had to turn the converter down below 1/4 and the sub all the way down and audacity finally calibrated within range at around -8dB.

My theory is that I need to put the bass trap back in the corner and zero out everything and recalibrate. This should bring the sub levels back up where I expected them and clean up the bass. This should be a major improvement at least until I get my pair of 24" IB subs built. ;-)

Awwe come on cecca. Why not? Look at them bad boys. Who wouldn't wanna say, "hey look at them woofers over there" and then reveal them badboys. I almost wanna try a pair in my home theater in sealed boxes just to show off lol. Think they have to be in 10cu.ft. Boxes. AWESOME!