HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

I'm not interested in hearing it, I want to FEEL it.

I'll never forget the time one of my sons friends came over for a listen. He kept looking behind and under the couch to try and figure out where the vibrations were coming from. He kept saying, "you've got to have a sub hidden in here somewhere".

In all honesty I’m tired on construction on the theater for a while the 4 THX ultra 2 subs are beyond enough for my theater and they match my system/set. But IB subs are extremely nice in design and performance. I just upgraded my pre amp to the Anthem D2v as we discussed no more up there for a while lol. I do need to take some finished photos of the room though since its completion.

It is just IMHO if your are getting good 16-20 Hz response, that is sufficient. I know some people like more which is ok. The thing is most movies are filtered around 30 Hz. This make the 16-80 Hz band performance a key consideration.in determining HT subwooferage. :)

• 1 month later...

ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED!

FI IB318 - Qty 2

Behringer EPX4000

Looks like it might be about two weeks before the Subs ship.

That's so funny as just last week I was thinking about this thread and wondering where you were with it. Great news! Cue Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part"!

Finally had some time after work to get things started. Double checking measurements and started cutting the holes.

Using 5 layers of 5/16 Poplar Plywood then adding 1/2" cabinet grade Birch that matches the walls.

Once glued up the finished thickness will be 2"

If you are wondering why in the world I would do it this way....Well I happen to have about 300 1/4 sheets of poplar plywood already in the shop.

I cut the first with the jig saw and then used it as a template for the rest.

Plunge cut with the jig saw and did a 10 second rough cut to take out most of the material.

Used router with flush trim bit to make all of them exactly the same.

sub2_1.jpg

Spacing is 1.5" between outer edge of subs and sidewalls.

1.5" between subs and same to the front edge of the opening.

I wanted to make the manifold as shallow as possible.

These will be used for both the top and bottom of the manifold.

I will only be using the two holes closest to the room and partitioning off the back.

Sketchup drawings on Page 17.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143424-ht-upgrade-wet-bar-at-screen-fireplace/page-17#entry1681629

sub1_1.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

You're awfully brave (or good more likely) to cut holes without the drivers in hand. I know you can get cut out dimensions but I can't help checking the drivers myself before I make saw dust. Can't wait to see the build as it progresses. Thanks for posting pics.

Honestly it is lack of patience....

I don't want the subs to arrive and have to wait on me to build an enclosure. Cutout specs are posted on the site, and with all the reading about people building with them I have not seen anyone comment on them being wrong.

FI takes forever to ship. Apparently each sub is built when ordered. Seems crazy, but if you are actually building my sub by hand then by all means....take your time!

Apparently each sub is built when ordered.

That's correct. They do all R&D, machining, and assembling in house. They can pretty much custom build whatever you want. They're definitely not a cookie cutter store. I've never been anything other than thrilled with anything I've ever purchased from them.