HT Upgrade: Wet Bar, AT Screen, Fireplace.

WakeJunkie

Distortion is extremely low on an IB as well. I doubt you could hear the difference. I like the sound of my IB better than the many horns I've built. You also get a lot more infrasonics with an IB. The being said, a THT may be better in your application if you could somehow fit it into the space you have to work with. Possibly build a long version and fire it into the opening in your room. You'll have more output than a 2 driver IB and your cost will be less.

Distortion is extremely low on an IB as well. I doubt you could hear the difference. I like the sound of my IB better than the many horns I've built. You also get a lot more infrasonics with an IB. The being said, a THT may be better in your application if you could somehow fit it into the space you have to work with. Possibly build a long version and fire it into the opening in your room. You'll have more output than a 2 driver IB and your cost will be less.

So it appears I have more options than I had ever realized when it comes to Subs.

THT is new to me. I have a concrete floor so house shaking bass is a little harder to come by.

I want to get into the single digit responses for HT while having good musical response and hard hitting mid-bass.

From what I read I doubt I would be disappointed in either, but how would a THT save money?

THT is new to me. I have a concrete floor so house shaking bass is a little harder to come by. I want to get into the single digit responses for HT while having good musical response and hard hitting mid-bass. From what I read I doubt I would be disappointed in either, but how would a THT save money?

A THT has one 15" driver (horn loaded) as opposed to the two 18's in the IB so you'll be paying roughly 175 for a single 15 instead of 500 for two 18's. It can also be driven using less wattage. You'd buy a subwoofer plate amp as opposed to a pro-style amp. The THT (long version pictured) will be louder than the IB but won't go as low. It'll go MUCH lower than what you have now though.

IB's will easily get into the single digits, THT's not so. With room gain (as close to the corner as you'll have it) the THT will have usable output below 20Hz though I'd imagine.

This is what I had in mind. FI IB318's.

This manifold would sit in the location my current sub does and fire through the existing opening in the wall.

This would pretty much fill up the space I have available in that corner.

sub1.jpg

Edited by WakeJunkie

That would shake itself apart in no time. The drivers need to be opposed.

If structural stresses are the only concern then I'm not worried. I can build to suit any structural needs.

I am an Engineer, overbuilding is standard practice.

If there are other concerns then I may need to address them separately.

I would love to hear from someone with Dual FI318's in a IB setup.

If I can hit 100db to below 10Hz I don't think I will be to upset.

One thing my current sub has going for it is it is Pro-Audio. 120db is obtainable.

It is just is basically useless below 40Hz. I have it turned down to about half. It is hard to imagine a pair of 18's not keeping up.

That would shake itself apart in no time. The drivers need to be opposed.

If structural stresses are the only concern then I'm not worried. I can build to suit any structural needs.

I am an Engineer, overbuilding is standard practice.

If there are other concerns then I may need to address them separately.

No need to overbuild if the drivers are cancelling each other's vibrations out. I can see no good reason to build as pictured. You'll be making twice the work for yourself and setting yourself up for issues in the future. Acoustically, one drivers would be slightly behind the other but it's probably not measurable.

The minimum displacement for an IB is 12 liters. 2 of the Ficaraudios will displace about 14 liters. You're just in the game. If you're the type that likes to overengineer, figure out a way to get 4 in there.

It will take some more modification of the Sub location, but I should be able to get 4 18's in there.

I can shift the opening up in the wall so I can put the subs apposing.

No chance I am getting 4 now, but hope to build the manifold for 4 and add as I can.

I notice you have 4 - 18's running on a 2500W amp.

You recommended the 4k amp. Just curious your thoughts on that.

The amp I have is the Behringer EP-2500. It's the same amp that was re-badged as the EP-4000. They used RMS on one label and peak on the other. Marketing crap. If you put the amp in the same room as you, you'll need to swap out the cooling fan (easy). If you put it in the outside room by the drivers you won't have to worry about it. Personally, I like it where I can get to the gain knobs.