Cosmetic repairs?

Hoosier1

i think tigerwoodkhorns has given some good advice here. better value to purchase in the condition you want.

I've given some TLC to vintage Klipsch and other wooden objects and it's fun. I couldn't afford to pay someone what their time is worth, though.

one exception to buying mint would be if you want to pay someone for doing fine veneer work. It's relatively expensive, but you could end up with some near one of a kind beauties.

Pay extra and find mint condition speakers. You will be way ahead in the long run.

[Y] By the time you pay someone to repair the cabinets it would be cheaper to buy a pair in good shape. On the other hand if you don't pay much for a beater pair you can have a good time leaning to fix them up and not be too concerned with mistakes. They are worthwhile skills to have.

Pay extra and find mint condition speakers. You will be way ahead in the long run.

[Y] By the time you pay someone to repair the cabinets it would be cheaper to buy a pair in good shape. On the other hand if you don't pay much for a beater pair you can have a good time leaning to fix them up and not be too concerned with mistakes. They are worthwhile skills to have.

I re-did a pair of K-Horns and glad I did was alot of work my first veneer job turned out good. Then I re-did my Scalas that I bought new and needed to be fixed up...and my kids will know dad did these. But even at 10.00 an hour it would have been to much for me to spend so I got Ks I would never been able to afford. Rick

I agree you can go either way depending on your wants. Where are they going to be used, for what purpose, etc. could weigh on your decision. The finish matters also. For example a black paint pair should be pretty easy to make look nice again. An oiled or laquered wood finish will require more expertise.

I re-did a pair of K-Horns and glad I did was alot of work my first veneer job turned out good. Then I re-did my Scalas that I bought new and needed to be fixed up...and my kids will know dad did these. But even at 10.00 an hour it would have been to much for me to spend so I got Ks I would never been able to afford. Rick

I do not necessairily follow my advice. I have a pair of K Horns and Scalas in storage waiting for me to restore. Problem is too many projects ahead of them. But do not do this to save money, it is not worth it. If you enjoy planning the project and doing the work, it is another story.

But the OP asked about a third party to restore, which means quite a bit of money to lay out for the job.