DVR out to Crown XTi 1000

rmlowz

Hello Forum friends,

I have a Denon AVR-891 that has no pre outs for an amplifier. Can I use the DVR out of the AVR and into the Crown amp. I want to have a two channel - home theater for my barn that I had built. I will have 4 mwm-s and the 402-69 horns and a KPT-684 for two channel. I havent figured out what other speakers I will have for the the home theater.

Thanks for you help,

Rich

Guest David H

No, I suspect the DVR out is line level, you would have no control over the volume.

You really need a line out, the only thing close on the AVR-891 is the headphone jack.

Dave

• Moderators

After thinking about it I have to tell you I did switch out the AVR. It is now a DAC with the BR player directly in.

The sound changed completely, MUCH better in every way, more bass and much better highs, just a cleaner sound.

rmlowz,

I still have the 840e. Didn't realize you were in TN now.

If you want to do two channel on the cheap and don't need phono, the Emotiva XDA-2 would plug nicely into the crown amp (if you need balanced outputs.
That would provide excellent sound and work with a variety of sources though you would have to use the digital out of a BD/DVD player vs HDMI.

If you wanted to experiment, a very inexpensive but really great sounding AVR on NewEgg is the Pioneer SC-1222k. Compares very favorable to pre/pro going to my Bel Canto Ref 1000 amps. It has plenty of power (similar to IcePower Amps), can bi-amp and also provides pre-outs. Can be had for around 549 unless you buy the open box which is much cheaper. Careful with the openbox though as you never know what it is packed like. Basically the same as the SC-61 without the 12volt trigger and minus the "Elite" labell. http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver.

Hello forum friends,

I am very sorry about the late response, I have been out of the loop, Thank you all for your help. I have a Emotiva XDA-1 that I could use with the Crown. I was trying to do home theater- two channel,with what I already have without buying more. Glad you are still enjoying the 840e pzannucci. I still can blame you for getting me into this madness. After I bought your 1977 K-horns I have been trying to improve. I am stopping now though being what I call semi retired. LOL I will use the XDA-1 for now.When I get it all up and running forum friends are welcome to come over.

Thanks again,

Rich

Hello again,

I did not answer one question about the crossovers. Bob Crites made me the cross overs they sound awesome. I did use two Crowns with the programs before I got the Crites Crossovers.

Thanks,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

rmlowz,

Just FYI the volume control on the XDA-1 is not like an analog control on a preamp or amp. It actually truncates the number of bits used in the D to A conversion to turn down the volume.

babadono

Very true, I use a XDA-1 also, an easy way to fix this is with the volume knobs on the Crown XTI.

I use a D-75 which also has volume knobs, just set the volume on the XTI so the XDA stays in the very top of it's control.

I set mine so at max volume on the XDA (which is 80) the amp is playing at my loudest preference for volume, this keeps the XDA where it performs best and can easily be changed when you want to get really crazy.

The easy way to set it is turn down the crown volume to 0, turn the XDA to 80 and adjust the Crown to where you would have the volume as loud as your max normal listening setting, adjust the XDA volume down and your set.

Just be sure to get the L & R set the same the same on the Crown.

• 2 weeks later...

After I called Emotiva I figured this out LOL, I took my forum friends advice and bought a Pionner 1222k as a preamp, with the Crown XTi and Bob's cross overs and use the XPA-1 for the DAC. . This is the best sounding speaker system I have had to date.In the 24x 40 barn the speakers really open up. Compared to my 18x16 room in Austin

Thanks again,

Rich