HT Receiver for less than $1000

TheBeast

I had that same set-up for my HT 'till the KG4's came around. I have a Yamaha 2095. It has too many gimmicks to use, but the ones I do use sound great. It has 100X5, but I'm sure the newer models have 100X6 or 7. It also has 2 front effects channels, but I don't use them since I purchased a Parasound 2205AT. HornEd, howver, does use his so you may want to PM him and ask his thoughts. I also have a Denon 3600DTS which performs very musically with my KLF30's. I really think when you compare feature to feature, price to price, the Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, HK, and the rest are very comparable. Unless you spend some big $ on an B&K. I did see a deal on a nice Denon 4800 at Sound Advice for $1100. There are some here who have the Outlaw and love it. A friend of mine has one and loves it. At $499, and a Parasound amp from u-bid could be a lethal combination.

If you are not driven by excess features, take a look at the Technics receivers.

Several on this board, including myself, have either the SA-8 or SA-10 models. For the price, they are a bargain. The SA-8 is a discontinued model, has 100 watts RMS X 5, and can be had through a Technics receiver/DVD player package deal at www.vanns.com, for a very low price (under $150 for the SA-8).

These receivers tend to run a little warm but are very nicely matched to Klipsch.

The Outlaws are also very well-regarded.

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD player

*** modified(by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified Adcom preamp/tuner

*** modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 direct-drive TT with English Mayware arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s

*** 2 Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

I love the outlaw 1050 i have here!

Sometimes i wish it had more power to show off, but i guess thats why i have my pioneer sx 950 set up also LOL!

After all these years im still deciding if 2 channel music is trully better!

Outlaw at 40

pioneer at 1 and a half, and its more power with the pioneer!

Both units just as clear, this pioneer matched my mcintosh to a tee!

Another one of my upgrades is the 750 5 channel amp!

If its still around that is LOL!

Regards Jim

You can get a Harman Kardon AVR 7000 on ebay for under $1000. It's great for HT. Not that great for 2 channel though.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

Denon 3802 is my choice here too. It is clean, has a "warm sound" for the heritage line up compared to the Yamaha. I have had both to A/B them.

I HATE the remote...remember it has to say AMP or you can rule it useless... (This is hidden in the manual later after your really frustrated...LOL.)

BUT, the sound is clean, clear, and fantastic with the 3802. No speaker fatigue just great music. Don't sweat the THX certification...You will not miss it. Besides, you can, (like I have) actually have a left, center, right, right side, right corner,.. behind you right, behind you left, left corner, left center,... (think your local movie theatre... add a sub and you have 10 speakers surrounding you for HT. WOW Or, just use the two up front for music!! Either way it is great!!

Just my 2 cents.

I tried receivers from Denon, Onkyo, HK, Technics, and Yamaha at home with my Scala's. Only two were not harsh, Technics and Yamaha. I kept the Yamaha it had a slightly better sound over the Technics. But more than twice the price of the Technics. But, every room environment is different! Try to audition them all at home and see which you like best.

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

IKF-

Thanks for the thoughts on the 3802. I've got the 4800/5200 combo and love it, but my parents are needing to upgrade from their current Denon Pro Logic receiver to something that can handle DD/DTS work. I was leaning towards the 3802 for them, but we'll just see how their finances decide things, as they need to get a DVD and a sub.