and im wondering if that will display 4K with the proper Blu-ray Player

I really dont want to have to buy a different tv

thx

If you have a blu ray player that supports 4K playback

will you need to upgrade your TV also??

Yes.

i currently have a Panasonic VT-50 series 55in plasma

and im wondering if that will display 4K with the proper Blu-ray Player

The display will have to support 4K in order to view 4K. Same as a 720p TV can't display a 1080p signal.

I really dont want to have to buy a different tv

IMO, 4K will not be that discernable over 1080P with a TV of your size.

I have a 37inch 1080P Samsung LCD in my bedroom, though it displays a wonderful picture, it is not any better than my 32inch 720P LG LCD on my back porch.

Bill

I'm waiting for 8K! [:)] Why fool around? Why replace equipment over and over every few years while waiting for the home theater industry to get serious? [:@]

All kidding aside, I doubt you would see much of an improvement by going to 4K (or 8K!)
with a 55" screen, unless you were sitting right on top of it, and as
people are saying, you would need to upgrade the display. You can get Sony's 4K projector for ... what ... $20,000.00?

The highest resolution 35 mm entirely photochemical movies of recent times are probably just below 8K, and so are the very highest quality 70 mm films of yesteryear, particularly if you are considering just the original negative which would be used in a scan. They had to use an 8K scan to capture all of the detail in the Lawrence of Arabia original negative, a negative that was made 51 years ago! Of course, all that detail could not get on the Blu-ray, because Blu-ray is not that good. If a new movie goes through a digital stage for color correction, etc., before the theatrical prints are made (common today), and if that digital stage only happens to be 4K or 6K, the resolution is reduced. Some people who saw the 4K theatrical projection of Ben-Hur last year, who had also seen any of the 70 mm photochemical showings in the past often commented that the digital was not nearly as good. Those who had not previously seen a 70 mm print tended to say the digital was good. When a good 70 mm print is shown on one of the original, large, often curved screens in theaters originally designed for 70 mm processes like Todd-AO or D150, with close seating, you need more than 4K, IMHO. On your retina, such an image can be twice the size -- or more -- as normal 35 mm projection. A few other films, like Baraka, were scanned in 8K so they would be scans for all seasons, ready for something like two media upgrades after Blu-ray is dead and buried ..