AppleTV Versions....Am I Missing Something?

Youthman

I searched my local CL for Apple TV and found most Gen2 are selling between $200 and $300 while the latest Gen3 is selling on Apple.com for $99 with free shipping. Am I missing something here?

I have no idea, that's weird. The latest which is gen 3 is only $99 and it's the only one that is 1080p. The gen 2 was 720p.

Edit: After doing a Google search, I found this: "Some people like the older ones also because they can be hacked and used as linux computers (link) with actual storage and since they can also store things on them, you can take it with you and have videos/music on it and not require internet for streaming your content.

Though the biggest reason is most likely the hack-ability of them, they are tiny computers with a decent amount of power. And since they aren't sold any more and are still sought after, that would explain their above average price."

• Moderators

Thx guys, I figured there must be something different about the Gen2 to make it more expensive. I don't care to jailbreak it as I'm likely only going to use it to stream music from my iPhone and iPad to the 2ch setup in my living room.

Just to be clear the Gen 2 and Gen 3 do not have hard drives and are both the smaller black ones. The Gen 1 is the only one with a hard drive and is the white version that is the same size as an Airport Extreme. Youthman, just go get a Gen 3 and enjoy and as was pointed out earlier the Gen 3 is the only one that is 1080p.

I've got the Gen 3, great little device, especially for $99. It will do everything you're wondering about. I've never had any issues with it streaming my music. The 1080p is nice if you're going to use it for movies...it does have Netflix but doesn't have a lot of the others that a Roku will have, but since I have Apple devices, all of my files are run through iTunes anyway.

It's also incredibly easy to set up and will automatically prompt you when an update is available.

• Moderators

Thx for the info jphilbeck. That was my thought, but I know nothing about the differences between the versions. I have no need for a hard drive. Mainly just want to stream music from my iPhone and iPad. I know the airport will do the same thing but I figure why pay the same price for the airport when I can get the added benefit of the Apple TV for the same price.

Kap, I appreciate you sharing your personal experience with the Gen3.

That will be the one I'll ask my wife for Father's Day. Thanks guys.

• Moderators

You should of given it to your wife for Mother's Day...and slept on the new couch....hehehe

Now that's funny! [:D]

After 15 years of being very happily married, I have only slept on the couch once....and it was by choice when I was having kidney stones. I didn't want to keep her awake all night. [;)]

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Youthman, just go get a Gen 3 and enjoy and as was pointed out earlier the Gen 3 is the only one that is 1080p.

I ended up buying the AppleTV Gen 3 and love it. Works great and I really enjoy the AirPlay feature that allows me to stream media from the iPad through the HT.