SOLD! '72 Cornwalls/Thorens TD124/Scott 299

garymd

Selling off my beach house system....and the house if anyone is interested..

Beautiful vertical '72 CWOs 2K771 & 772 - I give them an 8 out of 10 but with just a little TLC could be a 9.5, no chips, nothing some steel wool or light sanding couldn't fix. Incredible grain. I paid $900 and added Dean's Super B networks at about $375. Asking $750 with stock crossovers, $1k with the new crossovers (throwing in originals). Pickup only.

This is the TD124 I put together a few years ago with the help of forum members Scott Anderson and Allan Songer. It has the SME 3009 Series II (the good one) and a Zu Modded Denon 103R. Sounds terrific. Needs nothing. Completely rebuilt and works perfectly. Probably 20 hours on the table and cart since the rebuild. $1750. Will split arm and cart if necessary but I'd rather sell as a package.

I still have this 299 packed up but Craig finished the full mod package about a year ago. It has the original metal case and is in very nice shape. All lettering, no significant dings that I can remember. Pics coming later. $600.

I won't ship the cornwalls but can ship the others for my cost. If someone makes me an offer I can't refuse on everything (say...$2500) and comes to pick it all up, I might just say yes.

post-11821-13819854808244_thumb.jpg

What version is the Scott. And what all did Craig do to it, as most of his work alone runs close to 500.00 so I would think 600 would be a steal. If I wasnt in the process of rebuilding my scott I would be all over this. Looks to me Gary takes very well care for his gear. Good luck on the sale.

Hi Gary! Good luck with all the sales. This is all beautiful gear and my hope would be that someone could buy it all together. This is probably the best little 2 channel high end vinyl stereo setup I've ever seen. Why is the dust cover 'famous'? I forget. Michael

Plain old 299....my 2nd favorite Scott behind the 299b. And yes, it is a steal...all these are steals. I have a lot into this system and took a long time putting it together. A number of forum members can attest to that!

Duder - I'd have to pull out the list of upgrades but he rebuilt this unit twice...once a long time ago when he was just a rookie then a year ago he updated it with all the things he'd learned over the years.

Hey Michael. Isn't everything Mr. Thebes does considered famous? No other reason in particular. He did help me install the cartridge on that table. How've you been mi amigo?

I do hope someone buys this as a system. Heck, the arm and cart cost me close to $1500 alone. This would be a really nice vinyl system for someone.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Just an FYI on the speakers....

I drove 10 hours roundtrip to and from Syracuse to buy these from the daughter of the original owner who had just passed. It was the first time since 1972 these had been moved from her parent's living room. I sold a pair of '80 birch raw Cornwalls to another forum member who lived close by in Binghamton if memory serves. These were the 4th (and final) pair of speakers I'd had in that system in less than a year. Boomac played a role in the first 2, one of which was a pair of '98 Belles that almost took a couple lives getting to and from my upstairs music room. Those suckers were heavy, the stairs were steep and my back ain't what it used to be! Rplace, LarryC, Thebes and Boomac all came to the eastern shore of DE and helped out at some point.

Gary, dont go pulling the list out for me. I have talked to Craig a couple of times about rebuilding my plain old 299. I hope to get close to something like this some day. I too hope the complete system goes to somrone who would greatly appreciate the deal.