Strange Caps in this Heresy :(

joseph222

As alluded to in a previous post, I am looking to upgrade the caps in my Heresy IIs. These speakers are 1986 or later (I bought them used in 93) serial #8606196. I was all set to go with info from other posting until I opened the cabinet. This model has the 1" foam, new to many other Heresy owners and I have found, I believe, that they also have different caps. Caps I've seen listed are usually 2uF and 33uFs?

Here is what I have found in my cabinets. The crossover is mounted on the speaker terminal "cups", which are removed externally from the rear baffle. The driver wires are lamp cord.

There is one rather large cap (?) numbered: 68mF 100v 14k T.I.

There are three small flatish caps (?) numbered: 2E155k N Japan B585

I have never seen these mentioned by others.

By the way, my system includes CD & vinyl-Denon 110>Monolithic>Forplay>ST70>Heresy.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade these capacitors? Should all be replaced? If so, can anyone help me with specific suggestions as to type, number and brand so I may order them? Anything to watch for when I install them? Thanks for your time and help.

• 9 years later...

It looks like the Heresy II schematic with the 1.5uf caps ........................ but why no clear designation on the 3 - 2E155k caps and why did a previous poster(mdeneen ) think they were a 2 uf cap?

I'm still a bit puzzled but if that is the only schematic for a Heresy II crossover design, than it seems logical that the caps would ne 1.5uf.

The current designation for caps uses the first two digits as the value and the third is the exponent. Therefore, 155 means 1.5 uF. 156 would be 15 uf; 154 would be .15 uF The K designates 10% tolerance.

I don't know what the 2E means, probably the manufacturer's series number.

Awesome ! After almost 10 yrs from the original post, there is a solution leaving no room wiggle.

Thanks. Now I can complete the project and never have to second guess myself.

Your explanation of capacitor numbering & values will also be very valuable down the line.

• Klipsch Employees

FYI...from testing, as long as the value is the same, there is not much difference in the result in using different caps.

I am not saying don't change them, but $ in will not = change out...you don't get much bang for your buck in changing caps...

the cap in the H II shold be a poly or mylar on the HF

FYI....... from listening to music on quality audio equipment for the last 35 yrs, I can say that the ear becomes the final test. It's not just about what you can qualify using electronic testing equipment. The ear becomes the final and the best test. The existing caps on the Hereys II's are crap compared to the overall design of the speakers. Yes... and the caps do make a difference. Maybe you can't or won't hear it or even refuse to challenge your own self to hear.

I remember 40 yrs ago when the western medical establishment thought that accupuncture was junk science because they could not quantify it using existing science. How that has changed. Now even western science is catching up to the science of accupuncture.

Remember that audio science is fairly new and still at an early stage in development versus the human ear.

• Klipsch Employees

Not saying you can't or wont hear a difference...just that it is dang hard to measure in our 24db noise floor chamber.

The only time Paul Klipsch got upset with me was when I ask him about changeing one of his speakers...I was asking for a forum member...almost got tossed out of the house...

After years of going back and forth on this, I finally threw in the towel and realized I couldn't deny what I was hearing. I've gone back and forth because I wanted to be a scientific, reasonably minded kind of person -- but every time I did it to prove to myself that it was placebo -- the change was just too noticable to put down to wishful thinking. What's disturbing is that sometimes the difference isn't exactly subtle, yet measurements show no difference. Because of this, I've simply concluded that not everything heard can be measured. I will agree that the differences are often overstated. I hear something that can only be described as cleaner and more open -- a subjective improvement.

Dean said: After years of going back and forth on this, I finally threw in the towel and realized I couldn't deny what I was hearing. I've gone back and forth because I wanted to be a scientific, reasonably minded kind of person -- but every time I did it to prove to myself that it was placebo -- the change was just too noticable to put down to wishful thinking. What's disturbing is that sometimes the difference isn't exactly subtle, yet measurements show no difference. Because of this, I've simply concluded that not everything heard can be measured. I will agree that the differences are often overstated. I hear something that can only be described as cleaner and more open -- a subjective improvement.

This may be the best post I ever read concerning changing caps.....and what you get. I completely agree after spending thousands of dollars on high end caps myself. There is a difference in the sound of every one of them. Big differences, small differences. Maybe it is not measurable, but it is heard. It is there. People are not idiots for spending big bucks on caps. There is a difference. If you like what you hear, sally up to the price or make a change.

I'm using an active crossover now. :)

Dean said: After years of going back and forth on this, I finally threw in the towel and realized I couldn't deny what I was hearing. I've gone back and forth because I wanted to be a scientific, reasonably minded kind of person -- but every time I did it to prove to myself that it was placebo -- the change was just too noticable to put down to wishful thinking. What's disturbing is that sometimes the difference isn't exactly subtle, yet measurements show no difference. Because of this, I've simply concluded that not everything heard can be measured. I will agree that the differences are often overstated. "YES, BUT," ....I hear something that can only be described as cleaner and more open "WITH OUT QUESTION"...... a subjective improvement.

This may be the best post I ever read concerning changing caps.....and what you get. I completely agree after spending thousands of dollars on high end caps myself. There is a difference in the sound of every one of them. Big differences, small differences. Maybe it is not measurable, but it is heard. "I AGREE"... It is there. People are not idiots for spending big bucks on caps. There is a difference. If you like what you hear, sally up to the price or make a change.

Doesn't Klipsch use the ear for the final tuning of a product? As in "tilting" a network. ??

I'm using an active crossover now. :)

Outstanding posts Deano and Mark. You hit it right on the button.

tc

• Klipsch Employees

Doesn't Klipsch use the ear for the final tuning of a product? As in "tilting" a network. ??

Well yes, you know we do...however, we dont put $30 caps in to product becaues people will not pay the up charge. We have to stay with in cost.

Active is better than passive, but there is more to do and more to mess up. The one active speaker we built did not sale very well. the XF-48 is a fine speaker in a verry small box.

The real answer is that one should use what sounds best to them. We try to please everyone...you only have to please you. That's a little easier.

Next time your in Indy and want to test what you hear...let me know.

Well yes, you know we do...however, we dont put $30 caps in to product becaues people will not pay the up charge. We have to stay with in cost.

Active is better than passive, but there is more to do and more to mess up. The one active speaker we built did not sale very well. the XF-48 is a fine speaker in a verry small box.

The real answer is that one should use what sounds best to them. We try to please everyone...you only have to please you. That's a little easier.

Next time your in Indy and want to test what you hear...let me know.

Well sure. A manufacturer could price themselves out of their market nitch. Exotic drivers, caps, wire etc. Have to stop some place.

The individual can do those things if he thinks that the upgrade is worth it.

tc