New Klipschorn Price is...

Aaaarrrgg!!

Just when I'm saving up to buy a new Chrysler 300M Special the girlfriend comes to me and give the o.k. to buy pair of KHorns.

I saw a set on eBay over the weekend and these had some sort of option that allows them to be placed anywhere in the room and does NOT necessitate corners in the room. That would be awsome since one of the configurations of furniture in our living room does not have the ability to have the right speaker supported be two walls but only one.

Does this factory modification exist??

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 07-03-2002 at 09:49 AM

don't think that is a Klipsch modification unless they were like a commercial version...

We have a 300M, my parents love it. Great pickup and nice ride.

EDIT - We HAD a 300M till it was totaled when some A$$hole ran a stop sign and flipped it two times and broke off the back wheels... good thing my parents had their seatbelts on and airbags. same thing happened about a year later at a different Metro Park-n-Ride.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 07-01-2002 at 11:26 AM

Tom,

I saw the pics of those K-horns. It is not a factory mod and the closed backs are not long enough to finish the bass horn, so deep bass performance will suffer if not placed in a corner. The mod seems well done and it will likely make it easier to achieve full performance in a corner, but it is not enough. A K-horn needs 4' from the apex of the corner out along both walls.

I believe the reason Mr. Paul did not enclose the ear of the k-horn was because of other patents and the fact that it was not necessary since it was to be placed tight in a corner anyway.

John

Thanks John- Glad I didn't bid on 'um. after all.

Justin-

I'm still not sure if I want the Special version or not. I'm almost leaning with "not". Mainly because it can be ordered with the handling and luxury package as an option with the base model. More choices in color options and since the base model comes with the same engine minus 5hp. I do believe I can make up for that +30 or so with only one night in my garage and about $600 in parts-- ala Borla, K&N and a moto tool grinder.cwm11.gif

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 07-01-2002 at 06:11 PM

Tom,

Those Khorns went for $2875 cwm24.gif and are only 5 minutes from my home. They would have matched my wall units perfectly to boot. Unfortunately, I could only go $1800 and knew that wouldn't be enough for them. Like you, I have one wall without a corner and these would have probably worked well enough for my purposes.

Anyway, can't wait to hook my La Scala's up this Sunday! Smile.gif

Mike

"$7500 a pair.

(Tweeter, ETC. Peabody, MA)"

Well, the good news is that used is still an option - since new is wayyyy outta my league. The other good news is that many more years of Klipschorns will be out there for future used salesSmile.gif

Oh, and I'm testing my sig too - it, like my system, takes up lots of space.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

wonder when/if my tweeter is going to have them. they certainly have an audience that could afford them, an audience that could appreciate them, well, did not promise that Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

It's very amusing that Klipsch tries so hard to protect its authorized dealers from the Internet pirates who offer better prices when the authorized dealers won't even stock their flagship products so they can be heard (or even seen). Severely misguided loyalty, and the consumer (that's you) takes it up the kazoo.

quote:

Originally posted by John Warren:

$7500 a pair.

(Tweeter, ETC. Peabody, MA)

Sure makes my oak k-horns, bought new in '98, seem like a steal at $3800 out the door.

But just look at a Stereophile or Absolute Sound, if you want to put k-horn pricing in perspective. You could spend $7500. and not get klipschorns. Imagine that!

------------------

JDM