La Scala Finish

Mdud

Hi forum,

New here and looking into the Heritage series speakers. Comparing pics I've found online of lots of La Scala's, I have a question. I notice that the speakers are finished on every surface..except apparently the back panel on the bass bin? As in, the panel you can see looking into the bass bin from the front. Is there any technical reason for this or is it just for cosmetics?

Mdud

Welcome to the Forums!

It's just a pain in the tokhes to get back there. Just takes patience to get back there.

FYI...the lower part of the La Scala, where the woofer is, is call the Doghouse. They actually have La Scala bass bins where there is no top section containing the tweeter and midrange.

Hi, thanks for the reply. So I suppose they build the Doghouse as a box and then mount the woofer and horn baffle? I could see where that would be difficult to get in there and veneer after it was together! Just wondered why they can't or dont do it before the pieces are assembled? Curious mostly..

The bass bins you speak of, does that mean you can have a La Scala with more than one Doghouse? With a woofer in it? Hmmmm :)

There is a picture on these Forums somewhere that shows how the La Scala is put together. There is a door on the bottom of the speaker (some have the door under the midrange) that gives you access to the woofer. Not sure at what point they mount the woofer in there.

I'm pretty sure the wood pieces are prepped with the finish befoer the speakers are built. For many years the finish was raw birch plywood with no finish on them. Later, they received a wood veneer finish.

No. La Scala bass bins are just that...the bottom half of the speaker with a woofer in it. Nothing on top. Well, maybe a plant. [:o]

Depends if your asking about factory done ones or refurbished ones. Factory older ones were sprayed with finish and [or] laquar after being built. When I refurbished mine I veneered 3 outsides and fornt face then just sanded inside and used cherry stain. Birch stains well almost looks the same as the veneered parts. The very back of the dog house is very hard to sand and I did the best I could others put grills in the dog house such as the Belle has which looks cool.

Rick

Hi again, thanks for all the replys. After reading them I realized I should have specified that I was referring to the LaScala ll, not the earller ones. Does anyone know if the factory finishes the back panels on the LaScala ll's ? Thanks

Hi again, thanks for all the replys. After reading them I realized I should have specified that I was referring to the LaScala ll, not the earller ones. Does anyone know if the factory finishes the back panels on the LaScala ll's ? Thanks

WOW! LOL! Totally different question. [:S]

The back panel on the inside of the bass cabinet of the La Scala II is painted flat black. The panel is also painted flat black on the rear of the speaker, and the back of the top cabinet is flat black on the outside, too.

The rest of the panels of the cabinets are covered in wood veneer, and look really good.

Hey, thank you..that's the question I was asking and the answer too. I agree, the veneers look really good on all the Heritage speakers I've seen. I was just wondering about this point. :)

It's hard to see the black paint on the back panel without using a light to see in there, so putting veneer on it would have just increased the price of the speaker without adding any value for the buyer. The overall look of the speaker is a big step up from the original model, especially the early La Scalas with the utility finish.