KPT-100's restored and ready to ship

mustang guy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FedX brought me a big box of Klipsch from Craig today. An easy deal working with him. Bomb-proof package, each part (hardware, mounts, speakers) intact as it was shipped.

I'll post some pics after I have them hanging on my deck.

Thanks, Craig!

Thanks!

No actual duties, but brokerage is involved in spite of that. This will be much easier and cheaper! The speakers will fall within my 48-hour purchase allowance.

I'm glad Craig doesn't lock his 'For Sale' threads. We can leave our feedback in them.

Hmmmmmm...

Wow! Not affraid of weather, are you!

Good point. These aren't technicaly "damp proof". I have mine mounted similarly but the patio has a very deep cover so direct rain never hits them. They haven't been affected by the 90+% humitity that we have here.

post-15193-13819858198748_thumb.jpg

Wow! Not affraid of weather, are you!

Not afraid, just aware. The soffit kept those Promedias bone dry for almost ten years, 365 days per.

Late this fall I'll remove the KPT's, cut ~inch off the brackets (to tuck them closer to the wall), powder coat them, and put a SS pip pin in place of the mount bolt.

I will bring the speakers in every winter though.

I cut my brackets too. It looks better when they're snugged up a little closer to the wall.

Right on. I also put some frog tape over the binding post cups to prevent wasp home building.

I considered a horizontal mount like you did but that wall isn't wide enough.

Interesting about cutting the mounts... I wasn't even thinking of using them because of their length and was thinking of ways to flush-mount them on the wall. It helps that I have rear access to the wall behind them (and the access doesn't need to look good; it's a utility room).

I was thinking of securing some plywood between studs behind the sheetrock where the speaker is to be wall-mounted, drilling the hole pattern through sheetrock and plywood, and securing the speaker with bolts into their back through the plywood. Another way, using the mounts: I could attach the metal mount to the back of the speaker and make a square hole through the drywall and through a similar gap made using 2x4s behind the drywall, drop the speaker into the hole (there's a slight downward angle) and secure with a nut&bolt so it won't come out.

EDIT: The second way would make it a one-man job to install a speaker, but would make it difficult to get it perfectly level. I am thinking of doing the 1st route.

I was thinking of securing some plywood between studs behind the sheetrock where the speaker is to be wall-mounted, drilling the hole pattern through sheetrock and plywood, and securing the speaker with bolts into their back through the plywood.

That should work well. I'm asuming you can get to the back somehow. Adjacent room?

It would be cool to move the terminal cup to the back as well. No exposed wiring.

I was thinking of securing some plywood between studs behind the sheetrock where the speaker is to be wall-mounted, drilling the hole pattern through sheetrock and plywood, and securing the speaker with bolts into their back through the plywood.

That should work well. I'm asuming you can get to the back somehow. Adjacent room?

It would be cool to move the terminal cup to the back as well. No exposed wiring.

Yeah, unfinished utility room. [Y]

Moving the terminal cup would be cool, but...

As for weatherproofing these speakers, I am going to perform an experiment. I purchased a

to treat the front and back of the cone and the network. I am also going to paint the interior of the speaker walls. The screws may be subject to rust, so they will also get a light coat of spray paint like I used to restore the grilles. It should be an interesting experiment for anybody who wants to use any paper cone bass-reflex speaker. I will let you all know how it turns out, and post a few pics. I still haven't opened the neverWet. Just got it today...