Klipschorns roar back to life...

Mallette

Had a nice chat with Sheltie Dave last night regarding some Speakerlab K's a friend of his was looking at in Dallas. SD didn't recall I 'd moved to Houston, so I could really help much. Passed on a couple of names up there. However, it spurred me to dig up an amp and get my 'horns tested. They've been sitting up for over 2 years awaiting the clearing of my daughter's room to become the new music room. I've been "making do" with Frazier Elevens (tough job, but somebody has to do it) in the old music room, now library.

Last weekend, I recapped them with a Crite's Sonicap kit. So, I got a long excessed Sony HT reciever out of the audio closet and my Oppo and hooked it up. Dropped on "Crown Imperial" Reference HDCD with Jerry Junkin, Dallas Winds, and Mary Preston at the Fisk Opus 100 organ.

Gents, the tears rolled, and I do not mean just a few. Blubbering mess. I've heard speakers that made me laugh, dance around, and all sorts of emotions, but only the Klipschorn can reduce me to a puddle. And that is even though the Sony, while quite highly regarded, exhibited the typical "clinical" verging on harsh sounds of SS when the brass really peaked. Looking forward to getting the Stereo 70 and Van Alstine Super PAS4 preamp in there, which will fix that problem. Of course, the Cinema 6 massive horn loaded sub Carl and Ron provided such expert help in building is sitting in the garage awaiting Formica covering and driver installation, and that will make for a seriously full range system when I get it up there. Still a long way to go, but am going to really take it slow and get it all the way I want it.

Dave

Went through a few more, but imaging totally popped on the Brian Carpenter Ghost Train Orchestra, which I reviewed here a year or so ago. Outstanding stage and with closed eyes, the image of the band and vocalist is killer. I've well over another foot in width in this room, about 143/4" corner to corner. Imaging was good in the other room, much better than it should have been, but this is a definite improvement.

So, I'm thinking on layout for equipment and such. That sub is about as big as anything you can get into a house. 5"X2-1/2"X1-1/2" While the primary purpose of the system is 2 channel, I'll still put the Cornwall center in there and rears for use with video as well as certain surround stuff. Setting the system up to switch from the Van Alstine/ST-70 to one of my surround Class D Panny's is a chore in itself, and to make matter worse, I'd really like to put a Hafler DynaQuad in line with the VA/ST-70 as I love what that circuit does with certain LPs. Sheesh, never satisfied. Anyway, I'm thinking the sub may wind up infront of the sofa as a table. Of course, that means some wires across the floor. May use one of those rubber things with wire channels made for office use, or may just run the wires under the carpet. I believe the PAW intends to replace it before we sell anyway. I'll mount a video monitor on the wall above the Cornie and put some wall mounted shelves on one or both sides for equipment. I have the dual TT stand the Paw and I built with the nice marble top for my Empire (78s) and VPI Scout, which will fit in this room better than the old one where it was smack up against a 'horn on one side and the Cornie on the other.

Having the Frazier setup helps keep me from rushing, but hearing the 'horns today certainly got me thinking...

Dave

PS - May need to dust off Sketchup and model this. Probably minimize errors.