Autotransformer Data Call

Deang

This is for those who have modified their Heritage loudspeakers or are using some version of the "CornScala". For anyone who is up to it, the following information would be helpful to me and probably others as well:

1) The model of your loudspeaker, 2) the horns you are using, 3) the drivers you are using, 4) your crossover type, 5) autotransformer model #, 6) and the level of attenuation that you are using for the midrange and tweeter.

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of Tangent-400's that I have modified in the following ways. I know your question is specific to the Heritage models but I also have Forte 1's that I plan similar mods when time allows.

The horns are stock but I damped the outside with modeling clay.

The tweeter was changed from the k74 to a k75(forte tweeter) and added titanium diaphragms.

The mid-drivers (k53) were upgraded with titanium.

The woofers(k24 6 ohm dcr) were changed to a k23 also from a Forte.

I built the crossover with all new parts following the stock schematic for the Forte 1.

Solen 400v fast caps, 10 ga air core inductors for the woofer and 14 ga in the tweeter circuit.

I purchased autotransformers from Germany. They are quite a bit bigger than stock. The level of attenuation is 9.33 db. It is connected to the midrange only.

The stock transformer T2A has 9.5 db atten. with tap #2

I added bracing to the cabinets,stuffed the upper portion with fiberglass and put them of 7" risers with spikes. Currently I am experimenting with different port configurations.

I could here differences with each change and believe all were beneficial.

here a pix on my CornScala Crites XO CS500/4500 you can see the taps

horn PH800

driver is the Atlas replacement PD-5VH

tweet CT-125

woofer the 15" Crites AL cast hope that helps

I'm swapping this all out for a Eliptrac-400 B&C DE750TN-16 mid combo

& ALK AP12-500 in a 2 way , I'll keep the woofs the taps there are @ "0" & "1" ATM

post-41965-13819858828506_thumb.jpg

1) Khorns

2) Volti Audio V-Trac

3) BMS 4592nd-MID and Selenium D220Ti

4) ALK ES5800T (new bi-amp version of ES5800)

5) ALK's 3619-ET

6) BMS drivers attenuated -6 db, but still experimenting [:D]

First post on this forum, although I bought the Khorns new in 1986. Bi-amping using Marchand XM9's crossing from the K-33's to the ES5800T's at 300 Hz, 24 db slope. Two stereo Decware Zen amp kits. Incredible imaging!

Mike

Hey Dean,

By your first post I was not sure if you want data on any modified heritage or just Cornscalas. But since someone jumped in with their KHorn mods I'll do the same.

1) KHorns

2) Fastlane Audio Eliptrac squawker lens and Contrac tweeter lens.

3) BMS 4592MID on squawker, B and C DE38 on tweeter.

4) ALK ES KHorn set-- ES400 and ES5800

5) I think it is a 3619 in the ES KHorn set.

6) I've got the mids dialed back -13.7dB and the highs -7dB

I also have a pair of Lascala with ALK ES500 and ES5800 crossover but I'm only using the bass bin on those because the tophat of the modified KHorn is just so sweet and powerful. Any more mids and highs is too much. At least in my room to my ears.

babadono

Dean here ya go brother.

KHorns with Vtrac 2" horns and BMS 4592 mid only drivers, APT 200 tweeters.

Custom made Xovers using ALK Universal values crossed at 400hz and 6000hz.

Dave Slagle custom made autoformers.

Recently went from -11db to -10db on the mids much improved, no attenuation to tweeter.

Jay