WHICH HIGH POWER LOW DOLLAR VINTAGE AMP WOULD YOU USE FOR K-HORNS

KHORNLOVER

I have been using a YAMAHA MX-800 PRE AMP/POWER AMP on my K-Horns for over 20 years..This combo is warm, clear and very punchy. I am pro Bass Player, so I demand a very clean punch..You can pick up a MX 800 for under $500..Which AMP for $1,000 or less do you think will blow away theYamaha/K-Horn combo and still be dependable year after year as mine has been???[^o)]

Thank you for all opinions[Y]

My I ask why it has to be a high power amp? Personally I'd go for a decent 6L6 or EL34 tube amp - may I suggest McIntosh (though not knowing current US prices).

Or a good chip amp (the SMSL SA-50 is rather musical).

Are you into DIY? Some people seem to like the L15D/L25D amp (see ebay seller along1986090). No affiliation of mine - I am only a satisfied customer and so have been many people here at a German audio forum.

Again along DIY lines: as preamp I can highly recommend the Salas version of the Pass B1 buffer - boards can be got at the shop at diyaudio.com. To my ears it can be one of the 'best' preamps money can buy.....of course YMMV.

Wolfram

Are you looking for a newer amp or vintage. A Yamaha M 70, M 80, M 85 or MX 1000 would keep the SQ that you have enjoyed over the years. The guy at Legendary amps may be able to get you a completely restored like new one. http://www.legendaryamps.com/latest.html As you know, one of these with new caps, paint job and other internal parts will be hard to blow away in SQ no matter what direction you go. Even buying a used one and sending it to Legendary amps for partial restoration may be an option.

My Yaqin VK 2100 which is 85 watt can drive the bass in my RF 7's as hard has the M 80 which is 250 watts. Both can drive the speakers to ear ringing levels. The M 80 has more headroom but in my room it is not being used. You may not need more than around 50-100 watts since many K horn owner use a lot less. This will opening up other options for amplification.

For less than $1k you can get a Scott amp (any of the 299's - I happen to have a 299C -actually 2 C's and a 299D) and everybody is blown away by the richness and clarity and depth, along with the width of the soundstage that these amps can produce. Also they seem to work EXTREMELY well with the Klipsch Heritage, like your Klipschorn. I think it's the massive transformers of the Scott that is the secret to the sound. Craig at "NOSVALVES" rebuilt all my amps and in fact I just sent him a Scott 272 amp that I got at a thrift shop for a song. He's that good!

If you are possibly considering an integrated amp, I have a very nice 80's Denon that sounds wonderful. It is a PMA-1080R with 105w/ch of punchy and fast, clean clear neutral mids/high, and has been rock solid reliable during the 4+ years I have used it with fortes or Quartets. I sold my fortes about 1.5 years ago and sold my Quartets a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, that system is sitting lonely with no speakers to drive.

If you would like to head over to Kissimmee and demo it with my Heresys or Heresy II's or take it back with you and test drive it with your Khorns, you are welcome to.

Send me a PM if interested.

Bill

My I ask why it has to be a high power amp? Personally I'd go for a decent 6L6 or EL34 tube amp - may I suggest McIntosh (though not knowing current US prices).

Or a good chip amp (the SMSL SA-50 is rather musical).

Are you into DIY? Some people seem to like the L15D/L25D amp (see ebay seller along1986090). No affiliation of mine - I am only a satisfied customer and so have been many people here at a German audio forum.

Again along DIY lines: as preamp I can highly recommend the Salas version of the Pass B1 buffer - boards can be got at the shop at diyaudio.com. To my ears it can be one of the 'best' preamps money can buy.....of course YMMV.

Wolfram

Please see "chip amps?" thread before purchasing any SMSL amp at this time.