Needs more power???

Dr Morbius

Hi, I'm the one that put in new Atlas PD-5VH mid drivers in my Cornscala's 2 or so weeks ago - originally had K 52H's. It's been a good amount of hours playing time (50-60) and they should be sounding sweet. Instead it sounds like theres a veil hanging between me and the speakers. I mean, it plays well - don't get me wrong but it sounds like the magic is gone, hard to explain kind of - like not quite as sharp as before. Not a big difference, but to me it is noticable. Also for some strange reason when I was listening to my speakers before the breakdown, on certain CD's I had the volume on my Scott 299C amp set at the #4 position and it was just fine volume wise. Now I see for the same volume on the same CD's I have to set the volume a little past 6 which is quite a jump. Anyone familiar with what I'm saying?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest David H

Steve, I believe you have Crites 3636 autoformers on those crossovers, so you should be able to change the attenuation + 1-2db.

I would also remove the bug screens from the K-55's, unless you have bugs...

Dave

Big News!!!!! The Magic is back!!!!!! Yes Dave I removed the screens and the attenuation is only for the tweeter and yes also to CECAA850 for checking polarity. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mess up the polarity but I never said I was perfect (close, maybe.......lalol*) but no, I found the wiring was fine. My last ditch effort to get these Cornscala's right was that I recently picked up a pair of nos K-52H on fleabay from Canada that I could pop in (this was the original driver) I got them for $140 the pair from a Klipsch retailer that was thinning out his inventory. I have them running for the last half hour and they already sound so much better than the Atlas PD-5VH that I'm wondering is it the new Atlas drivers I got from Bob that are a little off or are they simply not compatible with my crossovers? I have to give a Gold star to Bob though because his CT-125 Tweeters are SUPER!!!

Yes, Heaven is back!................................

* lalol - laughing a little out loud

Loalol...i love it! Will obtain for my vocabulary, thank you Dr. Morbius. Did you buy or build your cornscalas? Either way are there anybody building these from Bob Crites diagram and selling? I guess i could talk to Bob yet wanted to ask you. I am going to take your advice soon and jump on board with NOS for sure. I love the i believe, VRD mono blocks. Little pricey but so tasty. I am very hoping he has can get me somthing together a little more reasonably although that is 1 now im trying to pick up info on cornscalas if you could help me here. I wanted to put all chorus 2's in a full system although im looking now into the cornscala center&surrounds all tube maybe 2 cw's in there. Thank you for your help and direction

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

FYI, about 2 years ago I was getting ready to buy the Cornscala kit, I think it was $1800 or $1900 for the pair, I just had a Scott 299C redone by Craig and was in need of speakers, when I saw on the forums here a pair of Cornscala's for sale in good shape for $1300. I decided to go for it (since they were already built and ready to go). Best $1300 I ever spent - man I couldn't believe how these sounded!! The wife even gave me a hard time about getting them, but finally relented and to tell you the truth, she in now a BIG convert - she says when she listens to a remastered CD of Judy Collins and closes her eyes - she can swear Judy is 8 feet in front of her singing away.

The Cornscala is magical, really - you can't go wrong. My Cornscala's are the 3 way type, looks just like a Cornwall till you take off the grill, and then you notice the big midrange horn, must be twice the size of the Cornwalls.

One other thing..... I mentioned this before - I have a friend who has in his showroom a pair of Focal speakers (made in France) that cost $65,000 a pair! Matched up with huge powered McIntosh amps, I forget the model or wattage but it was solid state and he actually thought my $3500 - 28 watt per channel set-up sounded better than his! I love it!!!

One other thing, funny that I went to NOSvalves website many times but didn't notice VRD on it till you mentioned it just now. It should be flashing! I looked and WOW are those kick butt amps - those output transformers are BIG and with that comes BIG sound! If you don't want to deal with old stuff like Scott then brand new VDR mono blocks are really the way to go.

BTW, it doesn't say where your located but if your anywhere near Long Island, NY give me some notice and I'll let you hear heaven in stereo!

• Like 1

I believe every word you said so im onboard here. You answered my next thought about the 3 way cornscala. I also appreciate the invite to hear heaven. I have heard a lot of speakers from the $50k on an over 100lb conrad johnson amp and im totally engulfed in my own radios compared, by a long shot. I have used custom cabs and built custom speakers with my preference of crossover although i know with freinds i have i can obtain very good drivers and build under retail about a $4 or 5k cornscala for way less. I have spent at least $10k out of my pocket in the last year alone on audio so im not afraid to spend more because im going to. I have spent at least $500 with bob crites alone in the last 2 months. I may get in touch with him and build a pair. As i move at the moment...and arrive at my new home by the beginning of the year i am going to put together a 2 ch system and its gotta be different than anything i have ever seen or heard of. I have the conclusion im gathering ideas for the next several months to get to what i want. The cornscala is definately the right direction. And it sure will be tube driven and all derived from this website. Im 36 so it also has to last another 36 yrs i figure. Im aiming to begin in approximately january. Maybe a good idea would be for me to begin a thread here or just go through what i read. I just want to get it right once not after a few tries. Thank you for filling my mind. You have ironically because of my interest in klipsch and the website helped me with the 2 most important aspects of my custom 2ch tube radio build.

• Like 3

Im in ft wayne indiana. were moving close to indy around noblesville in anderson. You are also more than welcome here. I will pay your your hotel...were 5 minutes from the airport here and must say I really own and use everything listed in my system profile. I have lazers and mixers as well as recording equipment as well i must ad which is some of the $10k i have spent on audio in the past years time...i know from guitar center alone im at about $4000 in 10 months....Anyhow I got to thinking and i just sent my daughter to ny with some freinds of ours who are originally from nyc. anyhow they went to the phantom of the opera showing and my fiance now who is 25 has never been to nyc area nor a broadway performance...what im getting at here is i may take you up on a visit in the next few months for a hear of your cornscalas. I would definately prefer waiting til you get your amp back from nos. I really have been picturing a getaway rolling through your area and once again ironic you allow me to hear heaven. My fiance and i in the past 2 months have been to wv, tenn, chicago and mich multiple times buying audio equipment. I would love to find something in your area i could pic up off clist or you could show me a great audio store. The local stores here are lame. Classic stereo and well ya walk in there he'll hook up some up to date paradigms with a new crazy priced bassdriver and it honestly sounds absolutely horrible. i might be over inviting ourselves for a listen and hope not...i really appreciate the guidence from a forum member who has been down the path im on now..

• Like 3

Mark , I agree it's best to wait till I get my "Big" Scott amp. I can't help you with the Audio stores cause there really aren't any near me, but I know theres a couple of good ones in NYC. I'm also pretty sure they DON'T carry Klipsch products ( I have no idea why?) But they do have high end stuff. Me, I'm more into getting value for my money which is why if I would ever trade my Cornscala's for someone's $60,000 Focal Utopia speakers, I would sell the Focals and buy a few Klipschorns and another Cornscala pair to make up for the one I traded.

• Like 1

Weird, I broke this up into 4 paragraphs, but when I submitted it bunched it into 1 giant paragraph? Oh well.

I have same problem. I have found that by using < then hit enter, then > it seperates the paragraphs. Looks kinda Hokey, but it works for me.<

>...................................Taz

Big News!!!!! The Magic is back!!!!!!

Excellent.! Glad you figured it out. There's nothing more frustrating than to put time, energy and money into a project and then not meet your expectations. The flip side is, as you've discovered, is the sense of relief once it's straightened out. I've had many of both moments.

Yeah wow...i never used it when i was with my ex wife although her middle name was diana lol dont tell my beautiful fiance though cause im not in my ex what so ever...im originally a buckeye whos supposed to have eyes on all the bucks, money or 8 pointer its an ohio mans choice, and a pot leaf heading up the state...so now im living with all the hillbillies that didnt have enough money to get to michigan, a hoosier...at least thats what i was told haha.

Hey beeker, welcome to Indiana. But, you can't say I live In diana which is under your avatar, lol. Which Diana, he he.

• Like 3

I'v had a couple heathkit tube amps as well as others and a scott sounds like the ticket. "Big" scott amp means i have no choice i have to visit. I would like to wait a few months then try to buy your amp lol maybe you will be ready to try somthing new christmas time or for the new year. I love big cities at christmas time and havnt seen new york in years in the winter. man, i have had some focal speakers at 1 time. they must not be the real focal. maybe focul lol idk. I have ran through infinitys, jbls, boston acoustics, dcm, advents and too many other flagship speakers im sure you and everybody knows the drill...till i met a true 3rd generation audiophile who told me straight up get all klipsch and i wasnt new to klisch although not to anything other than kg.5's basically and they were what i always resorted back to. now i understand...i have to say with the klipsch design there has to be an amazing aftermarket monitor built off this forum that grows on the ear...The cornscala 3 way. A Scott amp is what i need. the guy that pushed me into klipsch had 2 crown tube monoblocks rated 175watts each. iv been trying to figure out what they were. I might have to dig out my old phone to ask him personally. he was running stock chorus 2's

Mark , I agree it's best to wait till I get my "Big" Scott amp. I can't help you with the Audio stores cause there really aren't any near me, but I know theres a couple of good ones in NYC. I'm also pretty sure they DON'T carry Klipsch products ( I have no idea why?) But they do have high end stuff. Me, I'm more into getting value for my money which is why if I would ever trade my Cornscala's for someone's $60,000 Focal Utopia speakers, I would sell the Focals and buy a few Klipschorns and another Cornscala pair to make up for the one I traded.

• Like 3