Anyone listen to 78s?

Tarheel

I inherited a rather large music collection from my friend Tom and thought you may like to see some pictures. There are eighteen albums containing twelve 78s each as well as hundeds of individual albums and a copy of Richard Wagners Der Ring Des Nibelungen box set. I would guess six to eight hundred albums in all. I also have Tom's Revox reel to reel (not in good shape) and a nice Benjamin Miracord turntable with A Shure V15 cartridge. The turntable has a 78 speed so at some point I will hook it up and listen for awhile.....a long while.

post-19473-13819859890272_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a collection. You should have some fun giving those albums a (fast) spin.

Also, nice looking rug on a hard wood floor. Yes

Thanks Boxx! It took two trips in the Volvo wagon to get them home. Though Tom had some hearing impairment he loved music as his collection indicates. I can see him now sitting at his desk, baton in hand, conducting the orchestra.

Would either of these help with the EQ?

Technolink TC-778 RIAA Phono PreampWith 78rpm Equalization Switch and Input

This is what I use and it's excellent. I dropped a needle on a Duke Ellington "Take the A Train" last night and it was awesome. At 65.00, a bargain. There are several 78 rpm cartridges in the "reasonable" range, with one of the cheapest and best being the Shure M78S which can be had for 55.00 at B& H Photo.

Dave

PS - The "78" curve here is a compromise but very well chosen and a big improvement over playing most with the RIAA setting (which is included, and useful for some of the last, post 1954, 78s). The only way to get a fully accurate playback is with a continously variable 78 preamp, i.e., $$$$ unless you can build it yourself.

Thanks for the link Dave. A great site and affordable gear!

See my edit with cartridge info. Actually, I'd recommend phonopreamps.com for anybody wanting to get into records without a big investment. There stuff is awesome at the price. Don't know anywhere else you could buy an MC preamp with variable controls for a bit over 70 bucks. They don't have a lot of stuff, but what they do have is pretty cool.

Dave

Nice looking collection there. I don't have 78's, but I do have music transcribed from 78s onto LP

Perhaps you've found better, but every 78 to LP or CD issue I've ever heard ranged from barely tolerable to awful compared to the "real thing." Often it's the attempt to reduce noise and such. My first transfers I used every concievable setting on Sound Forge's process extensions to improve things...and eventually decided the cure was much worse than the problem. My brain does a first rate job of filtering the surface or other noise without help.

Recently, I've heard a few online by amateurs that were amazingly good. Don't have a link at the moment but will post if I recall where they were.

Dave

Nice looking collection there. I don't have 78's, but I do have music transcribed from 78s onto LP

Perhaps you've found better, but every 78 to LP or CD issue I've ever heard ranged from barely tolerable to awful compared to the "real thing." Often it's the attempt to reduce noise and such. My first transfers I used every concievable setting on Sound Forge's process extensions to improve things...and eventually decided the cure was much worse than the problem. My brain does a first rate job of filtering the surface or other noise without help.

Recently, I've heard a few online by amateurs that were amazingly good. Don't have a link at the moment but will post if I recall where they were.

Dave

According to an archivist I spoke to briefly. He would treat the 78s for several days in some fluid and then right before recording he would do it again recording almost wet. These were recordings of Raymond Scott 78 acetates which went to CD and LP.