Anyone listen to 78s?

Tarheel

So if I am getting this right from reading the first page. If I pick up a cart for playing 78s, I all so need a 78 equalizer to go with it. I ask because I should be getting my Dual 1019 back, and which my aunt has some 78s I can have. I thought about giving them a listen, thought it would be fun.

My 78 project has been on hold but I would guess an equalizer is not mandatory. Maybe the other guys will check in later.

Check the offerings on this webpage for turntables, re-equalizers, etc for use in playing back old 78 rpm records. There's lots of very good gear including cartridges designed specifically for early 78s.

http://www.78rpm.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NRC&Category_Code=100

So if I am getting this right from reading the first page. If I pick up a cart for playing 78s, I all so need a 78 equalizer to go with it. I ask because I should be getting my Dual 1019 back, and which my aunt has some 78s I can have. I thought about giving them a listen, thought it would be fun.

My 78 project has been on hold but I would guess an equalizer is not mandatory. Maybe the other guys will check in later.

Check the offerings on this webpage for turntables, re-equalizers, etc for use in playing back old 78 rpm records. There's lots of very good gear including cartridges designed specifically for early 78s.

http://www.78rpm.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NRC&Category_Code=100

Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum....good to see another tarheel here!

Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum....good to see another tarheel here!

You're welcome! Naucks does have great resources and also great auctions for old records. I'm intending to get an archival turntable for 78 rpm playback sometime in the future, but I've been focused on LPs lately. Too little time.

If you ever need some info on reproducers and phonographs, I'm happy to discuss. I've rebuilt some reproducers in the past and also restored some machines. I still occasionally listen to early acoustic 78s on a Victor III phonograph and the sound is really amazing. Most people can't believe the fidelity of these early machines when playing a well-preserved record on a properly set-up machine.

I've used the Technolink TC-778 RIAA Phono Preamp With 78rpm Equalization Switch from here for several years and, for 65 bucks I think it's pretty hard to beat. I have both a Stanton 500AL and a Shure M44 with 2.7 mil styli. The Stanton stylus is usually available on Ebay for 25 bucks, and this outfit has ready to go 78 carts as cheap as 38.00.

Bear in mind that while there is some GREAT music on these old discs, 6 grams or so of tracking force at 78 rpm doesn't really need high compliance or a lot of money to get that music to you. While there are fanatics who throw considerable money at 78 playback I think the ROI to be pretty low compared to LPs.

Dave

I have a box of 78's that I never listen to because I don't have my turntable, that will play 78's, set up.

I do remember that the last 78's that I listened to were recordings of Edward R. Murrow and his series,,,, "I Can Hear It Now."

I inherited a rather large music collection from my friend Tom and thought you may like to see some pictures. There are eighteen albums containing twelve 78s each as well as hundeds of individual albums and a copy of Richard Wagners Der Ring Des Nibelungen box set. I would guess six to eight hundred albums in all. I also have Tom's Revox reel to reel (not in good shape) and a nice Benjamin Miracord turntable with A Shure V15 cartridge. The turntable has a 78 speed so at some point I will hook it up and listen for awhile.....a long while.

Any "Two Black Crows"????