Splits go 2 way.

justinsweber

Here is my casual listening 2 way J. I built a 3 way with the help of my biasness partner and Dave Harris several months ago to use to demo bins and tube amps we are building. The 3 way uses Dave’s special sauce. An eliptical horn/ cheap 2” driver, contrac tweeter/ D220ti driver and DIY ALK universal with tweeter attenuator. The combo is truly 1 of my top 3 speakers I’ve built/owner. My horn reference uses Apt12/ES5800 crossovers and I think I prefer the cornscalawal… I’d take either any day! That said, my Apt12/ES5800 allows for 2way/3way operation. After lots of listening, I knew that 2ways are pretty magical. I had owned a pair of original cornwals Dave converted 2 ways, but sold them to pay for a VPI classic. I set out to build a new set of bass bins. The 3way top hat came first for some reason, but the goal was to get the 2ways up and running. The 3 ways require a very tall top hat. The 2 ways can be short and squat… yet my wife still will not allow in the living room. Yesterday I wired up the ALK APT-12s and make use. The horns are a Dave Harris Sp. edition and are Fing bad ***. The sound is exactly what I wanted and the cab is splits and short… J. (Not sure Ive put this out there before, but any Klipsch forum member who wants to hear is always welcome. Im in south OC (close to Irvine, Ca). Many thanks to ALK and Dave Harris. I only need a 20x30 room to let them breath now! BTW they are playing so well with my Darling amp. The 1626 tube with .75 SE watts is magical. Incredibly sweet sound.

post-39161-13819860803266_thumb.jpg

I have 3 sets of top hats.

1 Dave made everything... APT12/ES5800 Eliptrac 400/FaitalHF200 Contrac/D220ti with 2way/3way switch... love it... its the reference that others are measured against.

1 3 way I made... DIY Universal/tweeter attenuator eliptrac 400/ Pyle PDB952 Contact/D220ti... much much less expensive to build and goes toe to toe with the bigger brother.

1 2way made with APT12 Eliptrac 400/DE85.

I had a 2 way just like the one I made but in a original cab and loved it... I sold it and wanted a replacement.

The 3 ways were for demoing and showing what cab done.

The 2ways are for 98% of my listening... I just need to get my wife to let me put them down stairs in the living room. Not to stiff up a hornets nest, but the Universal/tweeter attenuator (cornscalawal) is simply incredible. If it was available when I did my 1st pair I would have gone that route... super musical, but maybe less modern sounding. The APT12/ES5800 turns the cornscala into a super studio monitor... very true to source. The 2ways may not be 100% true to source, but they have coherence and relaxed presentation that makes listening for hours super easy.

I thought the idea behind the plywood horns was the added beauty of the wood , why then would you put a grill over the horn ?

a MDF horn would be more cost effective as some would want to have that plywood horn on display .

I myself like that plywood horn but not that color I would want it stained to match the other wood in my room .

I have done 9 of the MDF horns & know that sanding that plywood horn would be a chore .

For myself the added beauty for a wood horn is a very desired look but the added expense to buy out right &/or the work I would had to do to sand then finish the plywood horns is not in my budget . The painted horn is better for me as that extra $$$ , time/work is best applied esle where .