boiled linseed oil aroma

sasqwatch

I don't think the wax will do anything nor work well with the BLO - its best just to let it dry and the smell will go away. They do make low-odor BLO, you can get that at Home Depot, etc. Also, you don't need to leave it 'wet' on the wood - let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off with a clean cloth and repeat if necessary or desired. When it dries, wipe it down again with the grain to give it a nice polished finish.

Thanks for the reply .I didn't dilute the oil.I saturated a rag wiped them with the grain let sit for couple min.then wiped them with a dry cotton rag.repeated the process.the odor is getting better.it was so strong due to the fact all of the s peaker are in the same room.so it would be a good idea to buff them again with a clean dry cloth?it has been about 5 days.I do have to say they look 10x better . Thanks for the info

I like to cut the boiled linseed oil with some mineral spirits. I think it takes fewer applications this way. Be SURE to wipe them down and then wipe them down again. It seems like some of the blo likes to rise to the surface after a short time. I buff them out until it seems like I've wiped it ALL off. Yep, they stink but after a week I can bring them back inside again and they aren't too offensive. Really, a month in the garage would be better but who can do without for that long?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...