speakers with two systems?

SonicSeeker

Yes, if I understand the question correctly. I ran my RF 7's off my Pioneer SC 35 for HT and aslo use them with my Yaqin integrated tube amp for 2 channel. You need an amplifier switcher. The Niles amplifier DSP 1 speaker selector A-B will do the trick. It is $89.00 at Amazon but, sign up for a Amazon credit card and get it for around $39.00. Then keep or get rid of the credit card.[;)]

You need an amplifier switcher. The Niles amplifier DSP 1 speaker selector A-B will do the trick. It is $89.00 at Amazon

Derrick,

I know I have suggested these Niles switchers numerous times on the forums but I actually have no personal experience with them. Now that you are using one, how well do they work? Any noticeable degrade in sound quality to either HT or music systems?

Even though I am very pleased with the way my NAD T175HD pre-pro/Acurus A200 stereo amp combo drives my RF-63's in 2-channel, I have considered more than once incorporating a stereo integrated amp.

Bill

Derrick,

I know I have suggested these Niles switchers numerous times on the forums but I actually have no personal experience with them. Now that you are using one, how well do they work? Any noticeable degrade in sound quality to either HT or music systems?

That would be my main concern, I would not want to sacrifice any sound quality.

I use a Pioneer VSX 1121K as my HT receiver. It has preamp outs for all channels in addition to about 100 WPC on all channels built in. I send the two front left and right preamp outs to a Carver C-1 preamp on "Aux 2" and send that to a Carver M 1.0t amp and send the amp to the two fronts, which are Chorus II.

If I want to listen to stereo, I send my CD player preamp out to the "Aux 1 in" on the C-1. Rotate knob to Aux 1 and listen to CD. I use the volume knob on the C-1 to control volume.

When I watch movies, I rotate the C-1 to "Aux 2" and put volume at 12:00 on the Carver C-1. I let the Pioneer MCAAC do all the adjustments. Just have to remember to set the volume to 12:00 on the Carver C-1.

I also have a Samsung Blueray player with a HDMI connected to the Pioneer. I can play a cd in there and the power comes from the Carver M1.0t. When I do this I have to change the speaker selection on the Pioneer to stereo I think. I forget what I do unless I am standing right there.

I use the built in FM tuner on the Pioneer at night for music. I just hit the tuner button on the remote.

I can also use a cable and hook up an Ipod or Iphone or an MP3 player to listen to stereo, using a front port on the Pioneer. Power comes from the Carver M 1.0t.

There is a way to also have my Lab 12 tapped horn sub play at the same time when I listen to music.

The Carver never gets turned off, It is on 24/7. Unless I am at work, the Pioneer is always on too.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Bill

That would be my main concern, I would not want to sacrifice any sound quality.

Henry,

I did not mean to scare you with my question. I have read numerous testimonies how well these switchers perform, I just have not had a chance to hear personal feedback from someone I know here on the forums.

Bill

I don't know if you are against using the tube amp at all times but another option is adding a stereo preamp to your equipment that has a home theater bypass. This takes the preouts from your theater processor and uses that signal and runs directly through the stereo preamp without changing the sound. Then when you want to listen to music it switches over to the processing of the stereo preamp.

Emotiva has a couple from $450-$900

Emotiva usp1

Emotiva xsp-1

Marantz has a few integrate ones from $1000-5000

Marantz PM 8004

Marantz PM11s3

I'm sure there are plenty more out there, these are the only ones I have been looking at. Now this is nowhere near as economical as a speaker switch but if you were wanting a dedicated 2 ch and home theater and only had one room and set of speakers to do it with this would make sense. The stereo pre amp operates normally when your listening to music. All your audio only sources run through it. When you want to watch a movie it bypasses its own audio setting and volume controls and uses the signal from your a/v preamp and passes it directly through. Or in the case of the marantz units is simply just an amplifier when in bypass. I'm considering the pm8004 to run on my wides since my integrated a/v only has 7 channels of amplification but outputs for 11.

There is another method to do this, which I have used for years now for my second amp. I simply have a set of speaker wires running from my processor and another running from my second amp. both terminated with banana plugs. When I want to listen to my tube amp or now my little Topping sp-30, I just swap the wires at the speaker terminals. The back of my speakers are easy to get to and only takes a minute.

I actually have 2 of the Niles DPS-1 amp switches sitting on a shelf. I used it to switch back and forth between a tube amp and a SS receiver (didn't want the kids messing with my tubes). I didn't think that the Niles affected the sound at all. I need to unload some stuff so if you are interested I will sell you one for $40. Don't see myself really needing 2 in the future. PM me if interested.

Bill, many thanks to you for suggesting the Niles switcher. It works great and no loss in SQ IMO. The thing is small. does not need a power supply and works with the push of one button. This is by far the easiest way to use multiple amp that I have seen. For $39 it is one of my cheapest, he he and best gear purchases.

Currently I am using it to switch my 2 ch system between the MAC 1700 and the Yaqin VK 2100. I think I am over amped but, it is fun playing with them.[<:o)]

Guest Teresa Wright

Hey Bill, I have a posted a question on this same subject. I have a Pioneer 1120k and a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp and would like to do the same thing with my Cornwall II's for music through the Kenwood and HT through the Pioneer. The Kenwood has a high level AUX input, other than phono, tape, and tuner inputs. So, would the high level Aux input work from the pre-out front channel on the Pioneer???

Hey Bill, I have a posted a question on this same subject. I have a Pioneer 1120k and a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp and would like to do the same thing with my Cornwall II's for music through the Kenwood and HT through the Pioneer. The Kenwood has a high level AUX input, other than phono, tape, and tuner inputs. So, would the high level Aux input work from the pre-out front channel on the Pioneer???

I'm sorry, I really do not have the knowledge to answer your question.

Bill

Teresa if you are using the Kenwood just for music and not as an additional power amp for HT, this should work. I run a set of speaker wires from the Niles to the speakers. Then I run another set of speaker wires to each amp from the switcher. My MAC is an interated amp circa 1970 with no modern connectivity. I only use digital media so I have rca from the BDP to the MAC aux input. I have HDMI out of the Pioneer to the TV: this way I have the same digital media via the BDP to use with either the MAC or Pioneer and can see everything on the TV display for easy navigation. I paid good money for my subs so I like to listen to music from the Pioneer also, lol. I like 2 ch but I alos like 2.X. I hope this info is helpful.

The Niles unit come with complete instructions that are no longer than one paragrahp. It is simple one you have the unit in hand.

Guest Teresa Wright

Sorry, I thought Snailtrax was also Bill. Just hooked up the Kenwood to a cd player and my rb-51's-not bad for just checking it out. Just posted in 2-ch.