Home Theatre with Cornwalls

hodgesj

I have a set of vintage Cornwalls. I would like to have some recommendations of Klipsch speakers for a good surround system. What center channel speaker, rear surround speakers, and sub will be a good match for my Cornwalls? My receiver is a Denon AVR-3600.

Thanks!

I use Cornwalls as my main speakers and Heresys as my centers and surrounds. It sounds AWESOME Smile.gif If you have the room Cornwalls would be great but Heresys are fine.

I use SVS Woofers in my system and I think they are a great match. The designer of these woofers owns KLF-30's so he knows all about the Klipsch sound.

Take a look at my web page for pics. If you are in the DFW area let me know and we can set up a demo.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 07-05-2002 at 10:00 AM

jh, as far as the more smallish centers that come video

shielded, i use a klf c-7 between my corns which, though not a perfect match, works real well for me.

but from reports here the klipsch academy is the great match in this category, but is rather scarce, i.e. a lil pricey on e-bay & such. C7 are also now discontinued, but more readily available (ubid) & less costly.

but ideally for surrounds or center i'd use corns or heresy, depending on the space. then you may have to video-shield the front center yourself.

for wdst-type surrounds, some use rs-3 or rs-7 w/ heritage. these should easily be borrowed from the local klipsch dealer to try out at home.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Lots of good advice given so far - I'll throw in my two cents.

Center channel preferences:

1. Belle! Yes, a Belle. Since up to 75% of multichannel soundtracks go to the center channel, it should be the best. My current upgrade goal.

1A. Cornwall. Perfect match for what you already have.

2. Heresy. Smaller sized, still Heritage series, so a good timbre match for the Cornwalls.

3. Academy - a smaller, somewhat shielded center channel offering that does a good job in the center, especially for dialogue. Easiest to make room for. Not as robust as the Cornwalls, so if you are looking for high volume, look above, especially at 1 and 1A.

Surrounds: Two approaches...

1. Using monopole speakers, like the Cornwalls or Heresys.

2. Using dipole/WDST speakers for surrounds, such as the RS 3 or 7.

Which way you go here depends on many factors. Your room size, listening habits, and preferences will dictate which way you choose. Do a search in the "home theater" section of the board for "monopole" and you'll see some of the spirited debates that have taken place on this issue recently. No one way works for everyone - I suggest reading up and seeing if it helps you. Trial and error definitely can come into play here.

Here's some threads to keep ya busy for awhile. Then call us in the morningSmile.gif

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Subs: SVS gets great results with many on this forum. Also look at the Klipsch RSW and Velo HGS. Think big output here - you'll need it to keep up with those Cornwalls! What you choose will again depend on your room and listening preferences. There's been several discussions about this in "powered subwoofers".

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 07-05-2002 at 07:57 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Funny that I should find this thread since I was just thinking about finding a center channel for my Corns. However, since it is harder to get matching Heritage speakers as a center, I'd like to know what success people have had running other non-Klipsch centers with their Cornwalls? If anyone has done a DIY center I'd also be interested to hear about that.

Thanks!

Kevin

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

i'm now starting to think that when i get the space maybe i'll just buy another single cornwall, las, or belle for center between my current pair of corns, & use the klf-30 & 2-c7 for surrounds & rear surround.

a cornwall, las or belle center would make for an excellent tv stand too. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-15-2002 at 03:51 PM

I have 5 Cornwalls in my Home Theatre setup, all Cornwall 1s, with one serving as a center channel.

With the exorbitant prices that Academy speakers sell for, my recommendation would be to find a matching single Cornwall as your center channel speaker.

You will not regret that!

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD player

*** modified(by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified Adcom preamp/tuner

*** modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 direct-drive TT with English Mayware arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s

*** 2 Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

VA,

Your system must ROCK.

To be able to find that many Cornwalls and to have the room.

How do you leave the house with that Sh@t eating grin on your face?

You have my dream system for the speakers I want.

Danny

This message has been edited by dbflash on 07-17-2002 at 11:30 AM

While it would be nice to get other heritage speakers as surrounds and center, they're fairly hard to come by here in the Vancouver/Victoria area. I suppose I've seen a few for sale in Seattle and that's only a few hours away but still a hassle. And the cost of shipping cross border something that big is pretty much prohibitive.

Boa, having a Cornwall as a center would be kickass but the only way I could think of using it as a TV stand would be to lay it sideways... I wonder what that would do to the sound.

Anyone here have any experience with the factory direct Axiom speakers at http://www.axiomaudio.com or Omega full range speakers at http://omegaloudspeakers.com. Both seem to offer decent products at very good prices.

Thanks!

Kevin

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

This message has been edited by Thrusti on 07-17-2002 at 01:59 PM