New Tube Amp

Guest David H

Guest David H

Earlier this week, Justin Webber of Amps and Sound dropped off one of his new amps for me to road test. - Its a tough job but someone has to do it. :D

First, the amp looks really nice wrapped in walnut, with brushed aluminum top plate. The top plate has a nice layout, with all of the inputs, outputs and IEC connector top mounted behind the Power transformer and Transcendar OT's.

On initial listening, I was less than impressed with the sound stage, is sounded (third row) and shallow. The bass and treble seemed to be well balanced the mids lacking. I thought this lack of soundstage and laid back mids may have been due to the new tubes, so I dug into my tube stash and found some Valve Art KT-88's , a Pair of Svet KT88's , a nice set on McIntosh KT88's (SCD) and a new pair of Electro-Harmonics 6550's. I also have several 6SL7's to try, GE, Vintage Tung Sol black, and New production Tung Sol.

The tubes that came installed in this unit "GE 6SL7 and a Pair of Sovtec 6l6WXT.

Here is the tough part, I am comparing this amp directly with my own build point to point 300B with Mesh-plate tubes, a hard act to follow.

I swapped out tubes for several hours, and found a combination that makes this amp sound top notch. To my surprise, the tubes that work extremely well with this amp are the new production Tung SOL 6SL7 with the Electro Harmonics 6550's. I say I am surprised, because I never cared much for the sound of the 6550's in comparison to the KT-88's, and I was often less than impressed with EH tubes in general. That's not the case today, the EH 6550 tubes in this amp sound divine.

When and if I return this amp to Justin, I will leave this tube compliment in it for him to demo, I think he will find this is a winning combination.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Thanx... Im hoping for the site to go live shortly... Any technical questions happy to answer offline including a pic or 2 of it dressed. In my exp. selling a finished product, the underside shots only serve to provide debating points. I'll say this.. .its 3.5" deep to accommodate its choke... the power supply make use of the depth too :-). Though I don't plan to scream that I use trancendar iron, many good choices, transcnedar is one of the best around. 20-20kz, solid bass, sweet midrange while not being inaccurate.

1st 6L6GC ampsandsound Oct2013

1st 6L6GC ampsandsound Oct2013 (3)

IMG 1251

IMG 1245

Here is a bit of what I've been working toward... Been a few years and 30+ amps in the making :-).

Its the same amps Ive built numerious times but have moved some of the build process to more efficient repeatable means.

Believe it or not, the hardest part of building these amps is the grounding scheme, somewhat complex and used to provide the quite I demaned for use of my La Scala's.

I swear, you could hear a bad preamp tube through the tweeter :-).

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 1