Anyone here blend? (Ninja, Vitamix, etc.)

tigerwoodKhorns

I am looking at a few belnders.

Like everything else, when looking to replace a $16 blender, good replacements are in the hundreds of dollars. But the $16 blender makes lumpy drinks, even when using crushed ice to begin with, so it really isn't worth the $16.

I am looking at a Ninja 2 HP model that has a food processor attachment.

Looking at this system that is sodl at Bed Bath and Beyond:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Ninja-reg-BL771-MEGA-Kitchen-System-trade-1500/3239583?Keyword=ninja

Looks like it does everything and does it well so that instead of having a Kitchen Counter ornmament it may actually get used. It would be nice to make fruit smoothies that are not lumpy.

But reading the reviews, it looks like some people take them back and get the vitamix models (that are hundreds more). I can't help but think that Vitamix as well as other companies have employee's who are paid to write negative reviews. I just want to buy something that is really good and not have to revisit this issue for another 20 years.

So, what are you using?

A 30 year old Sunbeam. I've been wanting a newer model but you just can't kill the darn thing. It blends everything you throw at it. I've made countless gallons of Margaritas and Daiquiris over the years with it. That's not counting the milkshakes it's made. The only complaint I've had with it is that it's a little on the loud side. Actually a lot on the loud side. Still has the original blades, motor, etc.

I recently looked for a new blender - my criteria? That it would not leak, would blend okay and be durable. Ended up with an Oster product for like $30 from Costco. I'm not in any contests or seeking blending nirvana. Grab it, use it, toss in the dishwasher, done. It really does enough of what is needed and if a Volkswagon will do why buy the Ferrari, especially when nobody seriously cares. On the other hand maybe you have snobby neighbors in need of visualizing courtesan level kitchenwares.

Frozen fruit is you're friend . I buy bulk frozen strawberries , blueberries , blackberries and raspberries from Costco . Since I don't like to eat within the first hour of waking I put a mixture of fruit in the blender after I get up and let it thaw for about 90 minutes . Then use just enough almond milk to get things going , along with whey protein powder and unsweetened cocoa . If you need to have it first thing in the morning simply put the frozen mix in the blender and place in the fridge overnight . Comes out perfect , no lumps and a great velvety texture .

Why use ice in a fruit smoothy ?

Oh yeah , 14 year old $20. Kenmore blender used every day .

I recently looked for a new blender - my criteria? That it would not leak, would blend okay and be durable. Ended up with an Oster product for like $30 from Costco. I'm not in any contests or seeking blending nirvana. Grab it, use it, toss in the dishwasher, done. It really does enough of what is needed and if a Volkswagon will do why buy the Ferrari, especially when nobody seriously cares. On the other hand maybe you have snobby neighbors in need of visualizing courtesan level kitchenwares.

Snobby neighbors are not allowed here.

I have a 10 year old blender that does not get used because it does an OK job. So it will last another 40 years because it gets used once a year makign crappy drinks. These new blenders can make snow, which makes a great drink, so it shoudl get used a lot, hence worth the money. They also have food processor attachments, which is soemthing that I was going to buy anyway.

I am not out to impress anyone, but rather like to buy high quality things and then keep them for a really long time. I have a 23 year old set of Kenmore's then top of the line washer dryer set. Still kicking and will not die. Worth every penny. I also have an old Lexus LS400 that is like mint and is the same deal, I will replace it when it breaks down, if it ever does.

So, if anyone here has any experience with these blenders, or anything that is currently available, please let me know.

Frozen fruit is you're friend . I buy bulk frozen strawberries , blueberries , blackberries and raspberries from Costco . Since I don't like to eat within the first hour of waking I put a mixture of fruit in the blender after I get up and let it thaw for about 90 minutes . Then use just enough almond milk to get things going , along with whey protein powder and unsweetened cocoa . If you need to have it first thing in the morning simply put the frozen mix in the blender and place in the fridge overnight . Comes out perfect , no lumps and a great velvety texture .

Why use ice in a fruit smoothy ?

Oh yeah , 14 year old $20. Kenmore blender used every day .

I know, but check out the new blenders. You can throw a whole fruit in there with whole ice cubes, turn it on and get a good smooth drink. They have come a long way. I actually started out looking for a food processor and decided to go this route because we will actually use the blender if it does this good of a job.

Ok, this is getting comical.

If there is a $20 blender that will blend ice and whole vegitables and fruit smoothly, and double as a food processor, sign me up.

My $16 blender is a waste of $16 because it never gets used. I used to use it for protein shakes all of the time and it worked ok for that, but it was OK at best.

There are now new blenders that can turn ice cubes into snow where you can actually make a snowball out of it. That will make a good drink. They are spendy, but that is OK.

Here is a video of an $80 blender makign snow (after discount):

I remmeber guys here spending $1000 on coffee makers, too much for me, but hey, enjoy. Non-audio people cannot understand why I have a pair of Palladiums in an extra bedroom gatherng dust (I can't sell them, I'll probably use them some day). We all have our vices.

On a serious note, I do juice. I have a breville juice fountain that works very well. 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' is an excellent documentary.

Breville Juice Fountan - $150!!! I am grasping my chest. Ouch!!!! That is like more than two times 20 bucks (I'm not good at numbers).

That was a good movie. But I don't think that you need to juice and fast to eat veggies. But if that works, it is better than eating the standard American diet.

I just eat the veggies, but would like to make smoothies from fruit every so often.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Vitamix for sure. We got one a couple of years ago to make our girls baby food in and love it. One of the best purchases I have ever made. We make smoothies every morning and nothing compares. Silky smooth. It makes my Waring blender look like Bose ^_^

They are not cheap but you'll never have to buy another. If your only going to use it once or twice a week it's not worth it. They won't juice like a juicer though, don't be mislead by their advertising. You're not going to stick a leaf of kale in there and come out with a smooth drink like you would with an actual juicer.

We got a refurbished one off of the Vitamix website. I got a card in the mail the other day saying they are having a special on them.

They are also pretty simple and very easy to clean, not all these extra parts like some of the gimmicky ones.

Also made in USA if that's important to you. Although I think the motor is French.

On a serious note, I do juice. I have a breville juice fountain that works very well. 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' is an excellent documentary.

Breville Juice Fountan - $150!!! I am grasping my chest. Ouch!!!! That is like more than two times 20 bucks (I'm not good at numbers).

That was a good movie. But I don't think that you need to juice and fast to eat veggies. But if that works, it is better than eating the standard American diet.

I just eat the veggies, but would like to make smoothies from fruit every so often.

I don't do the fasting. I just juice a few times a week.

Last week I won a Ninja blender in a work drawing. IMO the best part is the lack of noise. With our old blender the user would wear shooting ear muffs and everyone else would leave the room. It also makes quick work of frozen anything. Effortless smoothies.

Go for it.

Ninja Supra:

The Ninja Supra Kitchen System offers the professional performance and power to tackle a wide range of kitchen tasks. From juicing, food processing, frozen blending and dough mixing, this versatile 1.5 HP/1200-watt food processor can do it all. Comes equipped with an XL Blender featuring a BPA-free, 72-ounce pitcher with pour spout and six-blade assembly, an XL Food Processor with eight-cup bowl capacity that makes two pounds of dough in 30 seconds, and two BPA-free, 16-ounce Single Serve cups with built-in juicing/blending blades and travel lids. The Supra Kitchen System offers superior full-sized blender performance and one-touch pulsing for maximum control plus quad-blade technology for uniform cutting and ice crushing action.

Ninja Supra Kitchen System:
  • Extra-large, 72-oz professional blender jar
  • Extra-large 8-cup professional food processor bowl
  • Makes 2-pounds of dough in 30 seconds
  • Two 16-oz single serve blending cups for personalized drinks on the go
  • Two travel lids
  • Single serve blades
  • 4-blade and 6-blade assembly
  • Dough blade for mixing and kneading dough
  • Total crushing technology
  • 1.5 HP, 1200W
  • Nutrient and vitamin extraction through whole fruit juicing
  • Frozen blending for creamy fruit smoothies
  • Perfect even chopping performance
  • Pulse feature for controlled, even processing

• 1 month later...

Update - I decided against the Ninja because the blades have to be taken out eact time you use it. I could see me makign margaritas and severign my artery. I came very close to getting a Vitamix, they had rebuilt units on sale in November, but after learning that they are too tall to fit under a kitchen cabinet decided not to go that route.

I wound up buying a Breville Hemisphere blender. This thing is amazing. It will make ice cubes into snow, just put them in and hit a button. The machine pulses to rotate the stuff in it, it does not get stuck. I just liquified an orange. I threw the pieces in there, and a few pulses and it became a smooth liquid.

My wife made a spiced carrot soup and it bleneded is smooth and creamy in 20 seconds.

Great blender, can;t wait until summer to make froozen smoothies.