K-horns OR RF-7

When the time comes, i was wondering, do the Rf-7s have more bass than the K-horns?

I still have to consider the space, but i recently finished another room here making this a 3 bedroom house!

I know i caint beat the K-horn top end so i might just go with them overall, but im a bass nut also!

Considering the space, i can get RF-7s in about the same space as the chorus! Even less!

Also id be afriad that the kids would ruin the Korean made grilles on the RF-7s!

And damage the woofers as well!

SO

If i get any folded horn system, id prabably be better off!

Dont some people find it hard to have nice things with kids, or do i have to nice of things, to have with kids?

The K-horns are a flat surface front, and about the same price used as the RF-7s, so ill look there first!

Did Klipsch improve the grilles yet, on the new line?

I know they will, thats for sure.

They need to go back to the magnets holding the grilles on, my daughter damaged my KG-5.5 woofer because the grille failed to protect it, thats why im considering against the RF-7s!

They were flimsy!

I could see my baby climbing into a La Scala!

In the bass bin, you caint damage the woofer through the front can you?

And by the way, i still NEVER heard the K-horns EVER!!

So if i buy them, itll be an expierence 2 ways!

1 to listen to them for the first time EVER

2 to own them for the first time!

The question on the La Scalas, if i buy them, i could set my chorus on top of them, and still have enough room!

I very rarely see K-horns around Denver, but im always running into La Scalas!

Last pair was walnut for $1,500.00!

Second Sound on broadway here in Denver.

I have never even seen a set of belles, yet hear them!

They would look great in this room!

Well. were at iodine time, itll be done soon, id better go to work!

Regards Jim

I seriously doubt the bass of the RF7 can hang with the folded horn bass of the K-horn. I'm pretty sure the K-horn would dust it pretty handily.

Where I think you might be wrong is regarding the top end. I really believe the RF7 HF driver has detail in spades and offers a more "refined" sound.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Bi-amplified Klipsch RF7s using

a pair of AE-25 PP triode amps.

A SF-Line 1 loaded with 6922's

and a 9000ES finish the front.

The low bass is supplied by SVS

and Samson. The crossover is HSU.f>s>

Hey Jim,

I'll address what I can here.

If you wanted to put a Chorus on top of a LaScala, it would be able to hold it without a problem. My fraternity owns a pair of LaScalas and people used to dance on top of them. I was one of them and I weigh in at 220 pounds so I dont think a Chorus would be a problem. You might be concerned about the finish, though.

I agree about kids and nice things. My wife bout me a 52" HD RPTV for Christmas and we already have three or four good scratches in the protective screen. The good news here is that you baby would not be eable to get into the bass bin of the LaScala. He/She could easily get some smaller toys back there, though. The baby would not be able to do any damage to the woofer, it is pretty inaccesible.

In any case good luck with getting a pair of K-Horns or LaScalas.

-Scott

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

RC-3 Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Jim

If you already own Chorus speakers, im surprised you are considering RF7's? The chorus is an awesome speaker.

I have owned the Chorus 1 in the past and now have Khorns. The Khorns have a lot more dynamic sounding in both highs and lows compared to the chorus.

As far as kids.... Both the LaScalla and KHorn are pretty kid proof, except for scratching the finish. All my kids have done to my Khorns is throw things on top of them. They are too tall for little ones to climb on. If you are afraid of the kids getting hurt if they fall off a LaScalla, put a kid fence in front of them. And there is not way for them to get at the woofer from the front.

Do yourself a favor, forget the RF7's and go with the Heritage line.

JM

I love "objective" advice.

Really, go for the earbleeders.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

I heard some LaScala's Saturday, and I can say without any question that they are NOT for me. I really thought the sound exhibited had more in common with 'stage' type loudspeakers, than the smoothness and refinement found in most high-end offerings.

Sure, they were clear as a bell, with what I felt was darn good bass -- but there is 'open', and then there is 'OPEN' to the point of obnoxiousness.

They might be great with laid back Jazz, or Classical -- but with rock music, it is just too much of a good thing. I can maybe see why some might like them -- but they are not a set of speakers I would want to live with.

I'll take the richness and texture of an RF7, over the 'bullet into the brain' sound of a LaScala anytime.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Deang:

What type of electronics were being used? One reason I never "got" the Klipsch thing was because I never heard them with the proper electronics. I now have Belles and am driving them with a Wyetech Jade pre-amp/Korneff 45 and Holy $#!T, I can't believe what I'm hearing!!!! I'll be writing more about the Korneff in the near future.

The bottom line is the Klipsch are incredibly resolving, musical speakers, BUT they need the proper electronics to sound right.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Wyetech Onyx monoblock,

Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns to arrive 7/28

It's true, I never get to hear them properly driven or in the ideal setting -- I always seem to hear them with solid state. I realize Heritage would sound much better with tubes -- but I don't care what you drive them with, it's not going to totally transform the sonic signature.

I'm really starting to lean towards this idea that what kind of music you like and listen to should also play a factor in what you find the most appealing in a speaker.

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Deang:

You wrote: <<I'm really starting to lean towards this idea that what kind of music you like and listen to should also play a factor in what you find the most appealing in a speaker>>

Boy are you right! Being an audio hobbyist for 30+ years, a SoundStage! reviewer for 3 1/2 years and part time shop owner for 2 years, I've had a chance to hear a lot of stuff including expensive stuff being driven by expensive electronics. There is no "perfect" speaker despite what some manufacturers claim. If you are a metal head or rock only- get some good solid state. Classical, acoustic, solo vocal, etc., needs tubes, preferably SET, if you're using the Heritage line.

Synergy rules.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Wyetech Onyx monoblock,

Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns to arrive 7/28

Personally, I think tubes do rock GREAT, easily equal or better than the best solid state. I agree with the system synergy comment as this is extremely important. But tubes can serve rock up with far more harmonic richness and depth, and to my ears, better serve the tone of electrified instruments. I first got into hot rodded EL-34 push pull listening to the classic rock and garage bands of the 60s-70s. I loved 50s-60s jazz as well but listening to Hendrix or Cream via a good tube amp brings the TONE to life and is so much more dimensional and life-like, providing a texture and substance to the sound that sometimes leaves solid state in a two dimensional vacuum. Then again, I personally think tubes serve almost ALL music in a better more musical light.

Later I realized that I even preferred the EL-84 run on more efficient speakers with Indie and LO-FI racket. Indeed, cranking the EICO HF-81 via the vintage Alnico Cornwalls was a lesson in GREAT soul and sound, easily outperforming any solid state device I have had pass through my system. This includes some pretty heavy hitters such as Bryston, B&K, Krell, Classe, Exposure, Linn, Naim, and the upper end bipolar shod Adcom (which is not a loving partner to thy horn speaker).

But dean, vintage Klipsch horns and tubes are a definite fine mix. But I do think there are better rock SPEAKERS than Klipsch Heritage series, or at least, easier to match (few will go louder, however). If playing rock, you really have to find suitable amplification. I personally cannot imagine anything from the Klipsch Heritage line on monster solid state, even from very fine makes. AGain, many that value LOUD over quality might not agree. But the Klipsch horns can easily burn a hole between your eyes with improper sources and amplification.

As you know, I have actually settled on my 2A3 Moondogs (with Audio Note Tantalum resistors and Jensen Oils) to drive a good portion of my collection. STrangely enough, the Moondogs can have amazing bass extension, even with more challenging material. IT is not just WATTS but the design of the amp. The Moondogs have a very good power supply and excellent output transformers, probably one of the most important aspects (that is also want makes many of the vintage tube amps outshine the modern counterparts - the iron was GREAT - not to mention the tube rectification).

Unlike what Mike just said, however, I dont think I'll ever to go solid state again, even for rock or noise bands, of which I have a huge collection.

As for the Korneff 45 amp, this appears to be a very musical piece, despite Jeff's use of more pedestrian parts on some of his gear. The 45 tube makes the 2A3 appear to be a powerhouse, but with something like the Khorn or Belles, really does shine. I dont think Jeff has attempted monoblocks yet but I would think this would serve a big improvement in the sonic. I believe he has been making most of his stuff with Electro-Print output tranformers which are pretty nice. Most of the commercial tube amps (besides certain guys like Wavelength etc) dont actually use the best iron made, which is why some of these minor amp makers are putting out better gear. Indeed, Cary is not especially known for their transformers.

I see Mike uses the Wyetech LAbs amps. They have gotten great reviews yet I didnt find them as musical as I would have liked. They did the HIFI dance pretty well but seemed to drop the ball as so many others in the purely musical sense. I found the same to be wrong with the Joule Electra gear. Was wondering what Mike had to say about the Korneff vs the Wyetech.

kh

ps- I have not heard the RF-7, but I held such a disdain for Klipsch speakers until hearing Heritage with tubes, I just have avoided anything Klipsch. Besides, for years, Klipsch really did concentrate on the mass market end of audio. I heard LaScala and Khorn with Phase Linear 400W amplification in the 70s and almost wanted to put myself out of misery....

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-08-2002 at 04:15 PM

It's no secret that I absolutely ADORE the sound of the AE-25 with the RF7's. I have NEVER heard a better combo for Rock & Metal.

My friend Mark bought my previously owned RC7's (remember I took them and twirled the horns, using them as bookshelves on stands), and is running them with Adcom stuff. It's intense to say the least, but I can only handle it for about 20 minutes -- after that, I start curling up into the fetal position.

f> cwm31.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

I understand Dean's point here, the LaScalas are kinda bad sounding. I loved them when I owned them many years ago and then there was a long time when I didn't hear them. A buddy of mine recently bought a pair and they don't sound all that good; overly strong and directional mids, weak bass, poor balance. The things just don't sound near as robust and alive as this guys JBL 3115s which are in the same (large) room. And on vocals, oh my, the JBLs KILL the LSs, much smoother, like butter. My buddy doesn't like the LSs either, but they're only a few years old and he got them for $600, worth a whirl. And they sound bad with several amps; TriPath, Gaincard clone and AudioNote 300Bs. There's no way that I, at this stage of the horn game, could live with LaScalas.

Tom, I was thinking the same thing although I have not heard the LaScalas in YEARS and when I did hear them, they were with solid state and burned a hole in my skull. They sounded LOUD and hollow at the time. Volume galore but not smooth nor pleasing.

Lately, a lot of people have suddenly been turning to them again. They fell out favor for quite awhile.

I would like to sample them again. I might get the chance with your best buddy, Ed Schilling, as he needs a site for your favorite little Horns! Heh.... Ole Ed is surely not a fan of LaScalas and he has four of the beasts. I need to go down there and take some pics and give them a listen with tubes.

kh

ps- Tom, your name is all over this site! I need to add what you are bringing to the Bash!

See here: http://www.diycable.com/horn_bash.htm

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-08-2002 at 08:52 PM