$400 2.0 budget system for my neighbor

Youthman

• Moderators

My neighbor wanted to purchase a soundbar for her husband (see previous thread) but I have convinced her to let me find her a much better budget system that she can expand and grow down the road.

I'm looking for something like the RB-61, RB-35 or RB-3 or even better, a pair of RF-3ii (or equivalent). Her original budget was around $200. I think she would be willing to spend $400 - $500 if it was a significant improvement over a soundbar.

Her main requirements for receiver is a few HDMI (PS3 is all she has right now) and Airplay. I found a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 which is 5.1 with 100/ch, HD Audio support, and Airplay for $100 - $175. That just might fit the bill very well for them. Interestingly enough, when I search Ebay Ended Auctions for Airplay Receiver, there really isn't a lot that's available but fortunately, they are very budget friendly and all under $200.

Denon 1613
Harman Kardon AVR 1700
Pioneer VSX-1022

Pioneer VSX-822

Even looking at searching for current Airplay Receivers on Ebay, not much of a selection and only a few are over her budget.

Of course I'm partial to HK but has anyone had experience with any of these other three?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

this one gets my vote. same as mine buy the 1713 has the upgraded odyssey xt. my brother has the 822 pioneer and i guess its just cause i have never owned one but the menus weren't layed out as well, and i just didn't care for it.

Edited by Scrappydue

• Moderators

Thx Scrappy, I was just looking on Accessories4less since they are local. I saw that Denon but it seems it would be less a receiver than the HK.

Local pair of Like New RB-61ii for $325. Just texted to see what's the lowest he will take. They've been listed for at least 29 days.

One thing I like about the RB-61's is they have a surprisingly amount of bass for a bookshelf speaker. Would be great until they can get a subwoofer.

what about the raliegh pair? shipping would be dirt cheap probably. not very far from you? I've owned the harmon 1700 for a short time. and it was completely japanese to me. lol way worse than the pioneer. but i learned my way around after a little while. i hate how obnoxiously big the remote is for it. probably the worst remote I've ever held. terrible button layout and everything. i do like the solid black look and the volume knob on the newer harmon kardons. they are definitely slick looking.

• Moderators

It's a possibility.

I've never heard the quintets or the HD 500 but these would definitely fit her budget.

This Quintet, 12"sub and Yamaha receiver would give them a complete system for $400.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/4208861353.html

But my gut says hold off and get them a better system. Most comments I have read is that most who own them end up upgrading them. I guess I want her husband to be impressed with the system.

Thoughts?

Don't forget everyone isn't like us. I've had friends over when I had the rf-42ii home theater and that bic sub and they were completely blown away. It was when my big system was packed up. I told them It was my baby home theater. Almost all of them said at one point in their lives they hoped to own something that nice. So others aren't so expecting. You just can't let them hear your big setup

• Moderators

Don't forget everyone isn't like us. I've had friends over when I had the rf-42ii home theater and that bic sub and they were completely blown away. It was when my big system was packed up. I told them It was my baby home theater. Almost all of them said at one point in their lives they hoped to own something that nice. So others aren't so expecting. You just can't let them hear your big setup

Yeah, that's the balance I'm trying to have with this. I realize not everyone has a desire to own RF-83's or RF-7ii systems but I guess I'm just trying to get something that is budget friendly that will really impress them for the money they invest in their system. That's why I'm leaning towards the RF-3ii speakers. I think they would perform very well for them and would probably rock their world.

When you say hd500 "it's not a bad set", that tells me "keep looking" lol

• Moderators

I agree that even the HD500 should be a step up from the soundbars. The only negative about the HD500 is they will not be able to use the surround speakers as they have no side walls to mount them on and no rears because that is the kitchen. They will need to go with in-ceiling speakers for surrounds.

I've got a 5 speaker set of the quintet iii, sw-350 8" sub, and Onkyo TX-SR608 I've been trying to sell locally on Craigslist for a couple of weeks. If this is a route your considering, maybe we can strike a deal. However shipping everything may make it difficult for it to make sense for us all dollar wise. I have original boxes for all but shipping all three components will probably run in the ball park of $100.