$400 2.0 budget system for my neighbor

Youthman

Thanks for the offer Johnny but I'm going to try and find them a good deal on a pair of small floorstanding speakers (ie RF-3ii, RF-35 etc). I think that will be perfect for their setup.

I think that would be the way to go, also at the same time keep your eye out for RF-5's of course. From experience I would say the Quintet's would very quickly put them on the upgrade path, good speaker for what they are, especially given the prices used.....but.

• Moderators

I agree with you oldenough. That's what I don't want to do. I would rather get them something they can enjoy for many years to come, not just something that will sound "ok". RF-5's would be amazing but I doubt I'll find a pair for $200 - $250.

• Moderators

Compared to my RF-83, RF-7 and RF-7ii, the RF-3 family are pretty small. It's all relative. They are short, cute speakers. 49" high vs 38.5" and they are only 16" deep.

I like the idea of having dual 8" drivers since they will not start off with a sub I want them to be able to have a descent amount of bass so RF-3, RF-3ii, RF-35, RF-82 would all work very well.

• Moderators

RF-5 would be good but don't think the Maple would look right in their room. Black would likely be a better match. Besides, the woofers look pretty beat up and my guess, since they are in a Pawn Shop, the person that pawned them might not have exactly taken very good care of them.

I personally have never been fond of smaller speaker. 4.25" would most definitely require a sub. That's one reason I'm leaning towards 8" drivers.

these icon w's only have three 5.25" woofers and I can't even remember how many times I've left them arge with no sub and watch action movies for a week and not even notice. Easily as much bass as my Svs sub upstairs. As long as I don't go over -15 on main volume the woofers can handle it. So I think 8" woofers and larger aren't a must. A pair of 52's or 62's could be ok with never having a sub. As long as they aren't in a 20x35 room with cathedral ceilings.

I have 2 sets of quintets with subs. the biggest thing I can say about them is it takes the right receiver. Had them on a sony gs900 and they were worse than bad, even after hours of tweaking. This receiver sounded great on my other speakers. The room was also less than ideal. Switched to an audyessy receiver and they were a tiny bit of magic. Great for what they are, but by no means a tower.

(2) sb2 and a sw12 are available in st Augustine right now for 100 if they wanted the bookshelf route

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/ele/4213782274.html

Edited by McMiRA

• Moderators

Got it Bill. Thx.

McMira, thx for your thoughts on the quintets.

Looks like a good price on the Sb2 but my friend has them and they sounded "ok". I've always enjoyed the sound of the Reference Speakers so I'll likely stick with them.

• Moderators

Scrappy, did you have the Icon towers at one time? Ron just showed me a pair of VF36 Floorstanding that are local for $275. Amazon is showing them for $220 each so it seems like a descent price for them. Might be able to get them for $250 which would put me close to my budget, maybe a little over.

I have never heard the Icon series but it says they have (3) 6.5" drivers which "should" provide a descent amount of bass. Anyone ever owned the VF36?