RF-83 owner's thread

BlackGTS

I know that there probably aren't a lot of you out there but I feel that this awesome speaker deserves it's own thread so here's my story:

As some of you have seen, I detailed a little about how I came up with these monsters in another thread. So here is THE REST OF THE STORY.

Set the alarm for 6:30 but woke up at 5:30 (go figure). Was on the road at 6:30 and had a really nice drive until I was about 30 minutes from Joe's house. He called to see how far out that I was and then dropped the bombshell: He would drop the price on the RC-64 so that I could buy all 3 speakers. A phone call to my wife resulted in her trying to beat him down another $100 (love this woman). She would agree if he basically cut his original price in half. He respectfully declined and I was cool with buying just the RF-83s that I was making the trip for.

Once I got to Joe's house, I found him to be a great guy. Speaker nut like the rest of us. He gave me a demo of the towers, I looked them over, paid him and we started boxing them up. I can't imagine trying to move these things very far without the boxes. During the time we were loading them, my wife called and asked if Joe had accepted her "offer". I told her no. She then told me to pay him what he was asking. I then looked over the '64 and told Joe that I had to go to Bank of America to get more $$. When I returned, he already had it boxed up so we shoehorned it into my vehicle and I was on my way.

My best friend lives in Boca Raton so I made a detour to visit him and his family. We had a nice lunch and I was once again on my way North. During the day I was in touch with Youthman about the trip and I texted him that I was carrying 3 boxes instead of 2. His reply was "No way". Yep. I had my matching trio.

Total miles travelled: 537 over 12 hours.

Rolled into the driveway at 6:30 pm and sat for a while with my wife. Her first question was "What did I get for my money"? I went outside and showed her a vehicle full of boxes. Not impressed. I then unloaded and unboxed them and her response was "HOLY S#!T, THOSE ARE HUGE!!!". We moved them into the place previously used by the RF-3II's and RC-3II and realized that they had basically swallowed up our room. Our living room is just a temporary spot for them until we have our HT so we will have to live with that setup for a while.

After some mad scrambling with the receiver, we managed to listen to a few songs and then I brought in my sub and we watched the first 30 minutes of "Quantum of Solace". Wow. Just Wow.. Can't really give a review just yet but it will be coming along with some pictures. The room that they are in is NOT good for acoustics. I do NOT have an amp yet to let these fully breathe. I have LOST my setup mic for my receiver. That said, they still sound sweet. Can't imagine once they are in a HT.

Youthman is the only person I know who owns these.

Who else out there has a pair?

Ron

• Like 1

My story isnt near as interesting! I had a Friend put a pair of Cornwalls 3's on hock in a pawn shop so he could go buy a pair of RF-83's. He had them about a month and was unable to secure the $$ to go get his Cornwall 3's back. He sold me the RF-83's for $800 cash + a pair of RF-3's that worked great but needed a little love cosmetically. I too had the "holy sh*t those are huge moment!" After I was finally able to get them about 12ft apart and position them on a wall where they were not near as invasive, the magic ensued! I had a few days of "these are just to big" but now Im used to them and they look average, however, they sound far from average. I have really enjoyed them.

Here are a couple of quick pictures. This is a temporary location until I get the HT for them. Notice the difference between the RC-3II and the RC-64. Also a side by side of the RF-3II and the RF-83. The two towers were placed with the backs even to show the depth difference.

DSC_0033_zps77f12969.jpg

DSC_0038_zps5bdf385e.jpg

DSC_0035_zps48370f14.jpg

Youthman is still working with me on my camera skills. These are a little fuzzy but I am improving.

Ron

I happened to be walking through SoundTrack (a discontinued electronics store in the Denver area) and saw a pair of demo RF-83's. They were $1300 for the pair (black) due to the fact that Klipsch was discontinuing the model. Bought them on the spot. As it turned out, Klipsch continued to sell them for around $2400 (?) for another year or two.

2 channel only.

Squeezebox Touch (analog modded) or I-Pod (Pure i-20)-> Adcom pre -> Class D Audio kit (60 W per channel) -> Morrow Audio bi-wire -> RF-83's.

Love 'um. Sound great even at low volume.

Mike

Pics look great Ron

Congrats!....a lil off topic, but consider one of these mounts for your stand. I did it for my 51 inch plasma and looks great when I can pull it out level with rc64. I think it'd look great with those towers there as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8586&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I happened to be walking through SoundTrack (a discontinued electronics store in the Denver area) and saw a pair of demo RF-83's. They were $1300 for the pair (black) due to the fact that Klipsch was discontinuing the model. Bought them on the spot. As it turned out, Klipsch continued to sell them for around $2400 (?) for another year or two.

2 channel only.

Squeezebox Touch (analog modded) or I-Pod (Pure i-20)-> Adcom pre -> Class D Audio kit (60 W per channel) -> Morrow Audio bi-wire -> RF-83's.

Love 'um. Sound great even at low volume.

Mike

That's a crazy price for a new pair. Nice score. How long have you had them?

Ron

Here are a couple of quick pictures. This is a temporary location until I get the HT for them. Notice the difference between the RC-3II and the RC-64. Also a side by side of the RF-3II and the RF-83. The two towers were placed with the backs even to show the depth difference.

Yes, the RF 83 and RC 64 are some big speakers to say the least. Congrats on the nice score and let the music play!

Pics look great Ron

Congrats!....a lil off topic, but consider one of these mounts for your stand. I did it for my 51 inch plasma and looks great when I can pull it out level with rc64. I think it'd look great with those towers there as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8586&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

That might be an option and you can't beat the price. $39? Wow.

The only problem is that I would then have to get some sort of shelf for the receiver, amp, etc. That may not be a bad idea either. Since the 83s will only temporarily be there, I better not start trying to make them fit. UNLESS I leave them there and just buy another pair when I get my HT.

Ron