Autoformer Attenuation

Deang

FWIW, I'm using V-Trac horns and BMS4592ND drivers in my Khorns with John Warren's networks, mid resistors at -10db.

Greg

These are the same drivers that come with the Oris Horns that I just ordered. They have the tweeter also, correct? What kind of crossover are you using for these drivers? What Freq?, Slope? etc...

FWIW, I'm using V-Trac horns and BMS4592ND drivers in my Khorns with John Warren's networks, mid resistors at -10db.

Greg

These are the same drivers that come with the Oris Horns that I just ordered. They have the tweeter also, correct? What kind of crossover are you using for these drivers? What Freq?, Slope? etc...

Yes, mine are the coax version of the 4592, but I'm not using the tweeter. Not only do my horns not disperse well above 6K, but the tweeter unit in the BMS coax is just not my cup of tea.

The networks I'm currently using are the ones John designed for the Volti upgrades - the KV1 http://www.klipschupgrades.com/NREKV1KV2.shtml

The Oris horns are nice - you're replacing the Altec's?

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, Dean - I'm hoping the holidays have been pleasant for you!

On that hearing issue to which you referred, I, as was my wife, was surprised to learn that a comprehensive hearing exam indicated above average acuity for my age. Particulalrly surprising was that HF hearing ability was as good as is was. 'Selectivity' was described as perhaps being associated with certain mid-range frequencies (my description) primarily in the region of human voice. This may in part have to do with the amount of 'chatter' or 'noise' in that frequency region I am constantly around as a teacher....and thus sort of automatically and unconsciously 'filter' a bit when I come home. The occasional repercussion of that being the fact that my ever-patient wife finds herself repaeating things multiple times before I realize she's talking to me. We had perceived that as an indication of a possible hearing deficit, of which there was absolutely no trend or indication of such on my test response plot. High frequency hearing loss is common on the paternal side, however this was an area where my hearing was described as still very good and above average for my age group.

And so, once again, I submit this with a heartfelt ☺ (or, to better suit the obsessive nature of this hobby ), I will maintain that I am in fact able to discern differences among certain passive parts, such as multi-tapped choke v.s. resistor-based means of attenuation, as well as have distinct preferences for types of capacitors in the signal chain. I am also acutely aware of my inclination for circuits that are designed in a way, and when possible, to exclude as many caps as permissable. For example, several years ago I built a single-ended triode amp that does not use a single capacitor between the input and ouptut stages of the amplifier. This might be a good place to mention, too, that the fact that the autoformer as an attenuator permits the use of smaller amounts of capacitive reactannce is not necessarily a positve or negative aspect of the application (meaning: better or worse). It reflects a need to use the amount of capacitance associated with the reflected impedance. In other words, it has not been my experience that using a cap (which might consist of a cluster of smaller value capacitors in parallel) with a value two times greater than another one will subsequently be prone to greater losses. If you like the autoformer, by all means continue to use it!!! Such things are permitted and encouraged in this country! :)

"but the tweeter unit in the BMS coax is just not my cup of tea."

It requires attenuation (it's louder than the midrange) and response shaping.

I can send the network schematics from RCA fan (Bill Woods, horn designed for Yorkville sound) to those that want it.

The tweeter could use a tiny amount of time delay, so there is no perfect solution.

I can send the network schematics from RCA fan (Bill Woods, horn designed for Yorkville sound) to those that want it.

The tweeter could use a tiny amount of time delay, so there is no perfect solution.

Yes, the Oris Horn Designer also makes some modifications to this Driver, as well as his own passive crossover between the Coaxial Drivers.

Yeah. I heard it without attenuation and it is HOT. Once you level it out it is real nice.

Since launching the Crossover Roadshow several months ago, many have noticed a difference between the attenuation chart I use and the one found in the original manual for the Universal Type A. After going through my files, I realized that I actually had two different charts as well.

After getting another email about this today, I contacted Al for thoughts. What we have is a best guess which basically amounts to this: one is right and one is wrong.

In the attached, we have the values from the original manual on the left, and the correct values in the handwritten chart on the right. If you are using an older version of the Universal, the chart on the right supersedes all other charts.

The chart is not applicable to the new Universal, which uses a different autotransformer, is wired differently, and provides attenuation in 1dB increments.

post-1106-0-82860000-1388737043_thumb.pn

Edited by DeanG

I thought this was already settled back in September when we talked about it. It is nice to have more tap settings. There are still many more possible combinations... do these just start to repeat the same amounts of attenuation or are there some other fine tuning possibilities? I'd like to play around with some settings a little higher and lower than 12.0 and 9.8.

Here are the settings I used:

- / + dB

X – 1 22.7 (quietest)

1 – 2 19.7

2 – 3 16.7

0 – x 15.0

3 – 4 13.7

0 – 1 12.0 (Lascala w' Eliptracs and BMS 4592)

X – 3 9.8 (Cornwalls with Fastrac horns)

0 – 2 9.0

1 – 4 6.8

0 – 3 6.0 (default)

X – 4 5.5

2 – 5 3.8

0 – 4 3.0

1 – 5 2.5

X – 5 1.7

edit: wow... that formating really got messed up... trying again..

Edited by muel