Local theater bankrupt

holtrp

I would love a piece of the AT screen, but I am in California. I would be willing to send PayPal to someone if the could get me some and ship to me in California. Looking for a 100" x 250" of screen material (that way I can make my whole wall a screen).

He did say the weave was pretty large. Maybe you can't use theater screens up close?

If I'd used a chainsaw - you'd be able to see my smile from Russia! :) The rest of those screens are going down with the bulldozer when they demo it. Hopefully some other folks will take advantage! They are pretty healthy perforations - I will be curious to see if it will even be usable in HT or too distracting. May have to go with Wake's Spandex screen idea.

yeah you will probably notice them. Theater screens are designed to sit much further away from. Spandex is where it's at for diy. My screen seems like it's spandex but for 250$ shipped for a 106" I'd rather not have had to build a frame myself or come up with a tension system.

If I'd used a chainsaw - you'd be able to see my smile from Russia! :) The rest of those screens are going down with the bulldozer when they demo it. Hopefully some other folks will take advantage! They are pretty healthy perforations - I will be curious to see if it will even be usable in HT or too distracting. May have to go with Wake's Spandex screen idea.

yeah you will probably notice them. Theater screens are designed to sit much further away from. Spandex is where it's at for diy. My screen seems like it's spandex but for 250$ shipped for a 106" I'd rather not have had to build a frame myself or come up with a tension system.

I never thought about the holes being too big. The problem is if I want to go with Spandex... How wide of a piece can you get? I would like to cover the whole garage door and it is 96" tall and around 250" wide. Can you get Spandex in a single piece that big?

I am out of town, but perhaps Dave can send you a close up picture of the screen material. It is white vinyl with (from memory) 1mm holes every 1/2" or so. In a dark theater at distances at or greater than 10' I believe it will be just fine. I have read online that the main compromise using movie theater screen at home will be roughly ~10% loss of brightness. I would be interested if anyone else has more info. Obviously, this a very DIY, low budget, entry level solution.

Scrappy. Where did you get your screen? Monoprice has a ton of stuff from basic pull down screens starting around $70 up to the in ceiling motorized drop down, 4 layer tab tension units for $1600.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would like to cover the whole garage door and it is 96" tall and around 250" wide. Can you get Spandex in a single piece that big?

You do realize that will be a 267" diagonal.

For comparison, using projector central's Calculator Pro, my projector is recommended for 111" at 14'. For every 7" of diagonal, I need an extra 1' in throw distance. So for me to even get a 267" size, my projector would need to have a 35' throw distance.

You will need a light canon to be able to project an image that large.

• Like 1

I would like to cover the whole garage door and it is 96" tall and around 250" wide. Can you get Spandex in a single piece that big?

You do realize that will be a 267" diagonal.

For comparison, using projector central's Calculator Pro, my projector is recommended for 111" at 14'. For every 7" of diagonal, I need an extra 1' in throw distance. So for me to even get a 267" size, my projector would need to have a 35' throw distance.

You will need a light canon to be able to project an image that large.

Not to mention any AT screen will reduce the brightness even further.

What I want to do is cover the whole door opening with the screen and then get some black Spandex to trim out the screen... This way my LaScalas will have an unobstructed path for the bass bins too. I will be going for a 150"-170" screen size. I noticed that Seymour has a 1.3 gain AT screen so I don't think it will be too bad as I am on a 1.1 gain Jamestown 134" screen now. I have also thought about going with 2 BenQ w1070 projectors stacked for 3D use. I think 2 of them stacked would be way more than I could ever need even with 3D. When we start building the HT room I will put the meter on the screen and see how it looks and then weigh my options to get the big screen as bright as needed.

Edited by ellisr63

Thanks Dave. I literally cut mine out on the way to the airport and didn't have much time to examine it. I initially thought about going with 120" screen but will probably back that off and aim for 100" - 110" depending on what sort of bargain projector I can find. This should be just fine for an entry level experiment. If it doesn't work out, it can easily be thrown out in favor of something better.

Edited by holtrp

Scrappy. Where did you get your screen? Monoprice has a ton of stuff from basic pull down screens starting around $70 up to the in ceiling motorized drop down, 4 layer tab tension units for $1600.

i got my screen from projector people if i remember right. its a great deal. the tension system is kind of a pain but to me you cant beat the price. i dont know if i could diy and make one of the same quality

http://www.projectorpeople.com/AccuScreens-Fixed-Frame-with-SoundScreen/Screen/21793

there ya go!!

Edited by Scrappydue

I just looked and it looks like I can get a Seymour AT screen for the required size and it is not a bad price at all.

seymour is what i will be getting once i move and buy my permanent screen. they will custom make just about anything as well as very nice masking panels if you dont want to make your own or pony up for a masking system.

• Like 1

It's quite porous, here's my attempt at a close up. I figure it's a relatively low cost experiment if it fails. It is vinyl.
keep in mind guys that a spandex is very transparent. these vinyl screens are most likely designed to retain light a little better than say a spandex screen. HOWEVER, cinema speakers are eq'ed from the factory to run the highs 3-4 db higher to compensate for them. so maybe the la scalas will be ok, but with HOLT's rf-83 setup i would worry about having to run the tweeters very hard to maintain through high volumes.

food for thought...

It's quite porous, here's my attempt at a close up. I figure it's a relatively low cost experiment if it fails. It is vinyl.

this is what a seymour screen would look like for comparison. i'm not sure how well that will work out for you guys. i think it will end up running your high end very hot to compensate.

post-52695-0-54100000-1387053769_thumb.j

• Like 1

Scrap - thanks for that feedback! I like the idea of AT primarily for the center channel. I can't help but think this vinyl will be a compromise sound wise even for the 64ii. I may just have to resort to a fixed on wall and put the center below it. At 120"ish I worry the center will sound "off" being below the screen but AT certainly produces some audio and visual trade offs as well... For me I can't build my center into the wall so I'm looking at coming in probably 2 1/2ft or so to accommodate... Decisions, trade offs... Hmmm. I have time though - this is very helpful feedback for me - thanks to all of you!