Local theater bankrupt

holtrp

holtrp - I'm in the Valley! I didn't know about this! I'm curious to see/hear what you find as well - please let me know if they have anything you may not want - I would be very interested in some curtains too. I may give him a call too. Thanks for the post! We're holding down the fort with 55mph winds today. Great HT weather! :wacko:

I called him too to see about the curtains - he said make an offer... so... I may have to see about running out there and inspecting them. Great post! Nice to meet fellow Alaskans on this forum!

He also said "if you're doing and HT - you might be interested in a screen..." Welllll that'd be a project - they're huge! He said I'd have to cut out a section and the tension system... don't know if that's worth it - but if he'd let us cut a few yards of material - we could build our own frames.... hmmm - the wheel sare spinning! He did say he has a few projectors (& lots of bulbs!) but didn't know the brands or the connections. He thought they'd fit on a table and possibly usable in HT - thinks they're pre-HDMI. I have no idea, but maybe some steals to be had!

Edited by akdave
  • Like 1

I wondered when you might have gone by - I thought I'd look for some curtain but I wasn't impressed with what they had. I did look in the projector room the only projectors they had we're reel to reel behemoths and three Dukane image pro 8910W xga projectors. No hdmi I'm guessing that's what they ran the premovie ads on. Buuuuuttttt - I DID cut off a section of screen - enough for a 140" AT screen! :-) I owe you lunch since you're local! Brought it home, wiped it down and will re roll as I'm a few months from going here but for $25.00 I don't think I can go wrong! Thanks for the heads up!post-52637-0-53580000-1386918218_thumb.j

I also have to say that was a surprising amount of fun climbing a ladder and running a box knife through a screen in a theater I've seen a lot of movies in - I feel like it's now my own little piece of local history. Here's some of the jbls their boss man was taking home - there were quite a few more but paper woofers... Idk. The specs didn't look that great and I was never moved by the sound there.post-52637-0-56940000-1386918509_thumb.j

All the amps were already poached :( Dave, did you get them?

Any thoughts on jbl 2242hpl 18" subs NIB just the speakers? Lots of 4645c and 3310 speakers too.

Seems like all the at screen and industrial 12 ga 2 pair speaker wire you could ever hope for.

The specs on those subs are impressive. Usable response to 22 Hz (-10 dB, no EQ), flat to 22 Hz (-3 dB) with External EQ. They can handle a lot of power as well at 1600 watts program/3200 max. As for the boxed 2242 drivers, those are the replacement drivers for the subs. Not sure what the TS specs are on them, but if you were going to build a sub enclosure, you could always just use the box measurements and port measurements of the 4645C. If you have access to 1" MDF and you are handy, you could build your own sub enclosures and buy those drivers! The surround speakers don't impress me. I don't like the sensitivity (89db and they are only 75 watt speakers) or the frequency response (100+Hz) with 8" woofers. The smallest Reference RS-41 II specs out better at 91db 50 watt, and 85+Hz with 4" woofers!

All the amps were already poached :( Dave, did you get them?

Any thoughts on jbl 2242hpl 18" subs NIB just the speakers? Lots of 4645c and 3310 speakers too.

Seems like all the at screen and industrial 12 ga 2 pair speaker wire you could ever hope for.

I wouldn't buy drivers unless I had a DIY project suited to their specs.

The JBL 3310 surround could be interesting to use as surrounds, but the low end extension limited to 100 Hz is a worry (means a pretty high crossover point) as is its low 89 dB sensitivity.

The JBL 4645c is interesting, but you would need to but an amp with built-in EQ or a miniDSP (Usable response to 22 Hz (-10 dB, no EQ), flat to 22 Hz (-3 dB) with External EQ). 3200 W peak handling, and 132 dB peak SPL at 1m would have no problem reaching reference in your HT!!

Many cinemas use JBL although I am not familiar with their Cinema Series. My only experience with JBL is I purchased (2) JBL SRX738 Speakers (3-way with 18" woofer) and (2) JBL SRX728S (dual 18" subs) subs for my student ministry room for $2000. They sound great.

how are those 738's? there are a pair on my local CL right now for 1600$

• Moderators

how are those 738's? there are a pair on my local CL right now for 1600$

They are great speakers. We've had them for about 2 years now. Once we built our new worship center, the student ministry moved into the old sanctuary. When I came on staff, the speakers that were mounted from the ceiling were hand made speaker cabinets with generic woofers, horns and tweeters. They sounded horrible.

youth-center-speakers1.jpg

The JBL's were a HUGE upgrade. Much more clarity and a TON more bass as well. The acoustics in our room is hideious. I really need to build some acoustic panels to tame the massive echo. They have no problem filling the room with great sound. I had originally been looking at QSC brand with dual 15" and a horn and they were like $2000 per speaker which was way above my budget.

I happened to browse CL one day and a guy had a pair of SRX738's and a pair of the SRX728S that he had purchased new with intention of renting out the speakers to DJ's but it never took off. He had them in his living room for awhile. LOL.

He ended up selling me the pair of SRX738's, the pair of SRX728S subs and a low end projector for $2000. I told my church financial secretary, "Even if we can't afford it, we need to buy them." So we did. :D I sold the speakers we were replacing for $400 I believe so out of pocket, we paid $1600 for all 4 speakers. With (4) 18" woofers in the subs and (2) 18" in the mains, there's a "Whole lotta shakin goin on!" :lol:

Here is a photo with the old speakers removed from the ceiling, and the 4 JBL speakers in place on the sides of the stage. The room is probably 75' x 25' with 20' ceiling at the peak. They have no problem filling the room. Just a lot of hard surfaces that cause a HUGE echo.

youth-center-speakers2.jpg

I also have to say that was a surprising amount of fun climbing a ladder and running a box knife through a screen in a theater I've seen a lot of movies in - I feel like it's now my own little piece of local history. Here's some of the jbls their boss man was taking home - there were quite a few more but paper woofers... Idk. The specs didn't look that great and I was never moved by the sound there.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm glad you cleared up the part about the boxcutter because I was thinking you did it with a chainsaw. :lol:

Nice score and keep us posted.

Ron

If I'd used a chainsaw - you'd be able to see my smile from Russia! :) The rest of those screens are going down with the bulldozer when they demo it. Hopefully some other folks will take advantage! They are pretty healthy perforations - I will be curious to see if it will even be usable in HT or too distracting. May have to go with Wake's Spandex screen idea.

I would love a piece of the AT screen, but I am in California. I would be willing to send PayPal to someone if the could get me some and ship to me in California. Looking for a 100" x 250" of screen material (that way I can make my whole wall a screen).