Home theater design/build thread reboot 2018

The Dude

I'm not quite sure where you mounted it but the farther away it is from you the quieter it will be. You can also throw an elbow or two in to help if necessary.

I could only mount it so far, I didn't have many options. One thing I was considering was building a some sort of box around it and maybe dry walling around it with some green glue to see if that help.

A little to update, I have all the can lights in, most of the conduit ran for the low voltage stuff. Hopefully today I will run some 1" conduit for the hdmi cables to the front, center and rear of the room for future tvs. The reason I went with 1" is for the fact that some of the plugs on hdmi cables are a little on the big side and I wan't to insure they would fit through.

As you can see in the last couple of pics I have quite a bit of blocking up. This is for the surround speakers, I wanted to make sure I had some flexibility for mounting them. So lets talk a bit about rear surrounds. I know that a lot of people are going the extreme for the 9.2 or even 11.2, I don't feel any of that is necessary for me, as I am perfectly happy with 5.1. But if you could put some sort of rear surround in would you, I think I might. Here are my options, 1. A pair of in ceiling surround speakers . Or since I am using Gothovers Drift for surround, another option would be a diy project around his Circletrac hf horns(if he still makes those which I don't see on his site so he may not), and have it come out of the ceiling about 15 degrees.

If you look at the last picture you can get a idea what I am talking about when have it hanging out of the ceiling at a 15 degree angel. If I could find some beater kpt-200's that might work then I could build a custom cab to fit inside. I all most want to do it just to build it, as that sounds like fun in general. My total deminsions couldn't be bigger the 12x20x16, then again if built a trapezoid like my Drifts I could build it to a internal deminsion of 10.5" wide by 19" height by 14.5" for width 1 and 16.5" for width 2. Which would give me a internal volume of 1.789 cubic ft, I don't know if that is enough volume for a lot of bass but I don't know if I need a lot for rear surrounds.

Edited by duder1982

• 2 weeks later...

Got pretty much all the line voltage ran today, I just have to wire up 5 more cans to the series of lights, tie into the breaker. Run 2 more runs 1 for my air compressor to the garage, 1 to the exterior of the house for future back yard upgrades. Then its time to nip the plumbing and hvac in the butt, once that's done on to dry wall and oh I all most forgot. As I am dealing with moisture issue do the humidifier(which was turned off today to help). I noticed the insulation that I took down, had gotten wet. So to the trash it goes, as I am not taking any chances with it. So if anyone ever starts were I did and the house has previous insulation, take it down, throw it out. As its not worth the effort to try and salvage.

I will be running a bead of great stuff on top of the framing where the poly mil comes out to help seal it up behind the poly. Then I will continue with the insulation and drywall, but those might have to wait until after this summer. As bonuses will go to out side stuff such as landscaping, etc, etc.. If you look at the last pic I posted, you may notice from previous pics I had redid some of the framing around the window. The reason is, I just wasn't happy with what was done previously. Plus when I went to run the wire I noticed the framing wasn't right with the window. The framing was plumb, but the window isn't. I would rather have everything plumb, but I am not about to tear out the window at this point. So I squared everything up so with the eye you can't tell there is a problem,and I will keep my fingers crossed that there never will be one.

I have some spots to go in and clean on the walls, but for tonight its time for a beer :emotion-22:, maybe next week I will get back on those speakers I have been working on.

Hopefully my wife lands this new job which should pay quite a bit more yearly, but no more bonuses for her. But she will make up with weekly pay, we'll see how that goes Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all but 2 can lights to wire, along with 2 outlets . But other then that, I have the 12 volt trigger wire ran. Along with the data lines. Just waiting on the plumber. Unfortunately I am out of funds for this project for the time being. I did however have some materials to work on another project, that should hold me over for a good couple of weeks, so keep an eye on the Sig for that one.

• Moderators
Unfortunately I am out of funds for this project for the time being.

Been there regularly, that's what brought my dedicated theater to a halt, considering I need to build the room first. :P

It's nice to have the space to do that, your idea for the layout is cool with the seating in the back and a bar, it could be used for a party or get together and just have music playing or concert DVD in the background. :emotion-21:

It's nice to have the space to do that, your idea for the layout is cool with the seating in the back and a bar, it could be used for a party or get together and just have music playing or concert DVD in the background. :emotion-21:

If you swap his bar for a pool table you pretty much have my same layout.

I'm thinking I may have influenced Duder with that beanbag. I can tell you, you will never regret that one. Get as big of one as you can fit. www.comfysacks.com

I have two of the 8Ft sacks in Micro Suede. One in the HT, and one in the living room.

This room is great for parties. We have them regularly. The teens love shooting pool and using spotify like a jukebox. Halo and Call of Duty parties rule the nights until football season when all else pauses for the ultimate sports pad ever. You (and your friends) are going to love it for sports. I have had friends get visibly mad when I invite them to watch a big game and they have already committed to watch at somebody else's house.

• 7 months later...

Well its been a while and just wanted to give a slight update on whats going on. The summer is obviously a busy time for us, or I should say spring, summer, fall. Kids sports keep up pretty busy, and eat up some of our finances. Over the coarse of the last couple of weeks a few things have came up. One of them is a slight flood we had, which was a contractors fault on the main drain. I guess someone didn't close a valve and mud/sewage water came in through main drain in the basement/shower down there. They are paying for everything, which there where no major damages. Just a lot of cleaning, which forced us to move somethings around. Which all so gave me some new different ideas. The wife and I were discussing what to do with the basement. We are kind of getting to the point where we just want it finished so we can enjoy the space. Don't worry the theater concept isn't going anywhere, we may modify the bar area, and not get so crazy with the wood work I had in mind. The wood work could be added down the road, along with the brick wall I want to add.

Another reason the bar idea might change, is my love for playing music as much as listening to music. So once we cleaned out the area where most of the flooding affected, I pulled my band gear out which was stored there. Now I have somewhat set this stuff up in where the bar would go. My thought is how could I include the bar and band gear. If you look at the pictures I have posted, note the location of the liquor cabinet, and audio cabinet. My thought is this, how about I build a Keezer(aka kegorator out of a freezer). This could act as my Bar/Liquor cabinet, as it would be large cabinet with a chest freezer built in. This would be located where the audio cabinet is against the wall. Then I would build a long pub table where the liquor cabinet is now (which has all ways been in the plan). I don't know some ideas are floating. My original plan with the bar was to have my band gear in the back room where it was stored. But my feeling is once its out of sight it will be out of mind, and I may not have the urge to go back and play. This way it would be out in the open, all ways accessible for the kids and I.

23a3fd0ecb555033ede78cc050c56a03.jpg

26cd01505b6750b1d9fd3d7373e80764.jpg

964a2ac7036f41cb107afa3c254266ab.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, there's a glare do to no curtains.

Edited by duder1982

• 1 month later...

Round 2 ready fight

Ok this time around here is the first step. Clean and reorganize this room, so I can clean up the bar area to finish roughing in the bar.

4c0c37127f1e3fe62a7b7b16953a485e.jpg

That area turned into that after the food. Then I will fix the air duct and finish the wiring. My step after all that is to tackle the insulation.

Wish me luck.

I was able to get the storage room cleaned back up, and cleaned up the bar area. Then I took some tape to layout how I want everything. I tell you there can be a lot to properly designing a bar area. I think I will change some wiring around to accommodate for the Keezer.

49d09dae5ba251f2f6139ef4a946a0ab.jpg

One thing I realized after reading some of my previous post. Is that there is some more wiring that needs to be addressed. So for anyone out there thinking of doing something like this, over time. Make sure to document every step so you know where you left off.

Edited by duder1982