Home theater design/build thread reboot 2018

The Dude

Redid the insulation as I didn't like how I had done it first. I have learned a few things. This I do know, before framing install rigid foam board. Then frame then insulation. All so I will only use Roxul from here on out. You will see 2 types, only as I wanted to use what I had. But I will see how this method holds up through the next several months when it comes to moisture issues.

99945a16ffd60a5ac78e2cb0fc205187.jpg

Next is to wrap up some electrical, and the air duct. Then hopefully my bar plumbing. Then I should be ready to finish insulation, then drywall.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well obviously i didn't get the bonus i was hoping for. But the good news is i will be receiving the funds to get all the insulation, along with most if not all the drywall.

There are a few things i need to button up before i drywall. Once drywall is done things hopefully will go a bit quicker, especially since my wife wants the upstairs redone. Fortunately for me she knows the basement needs finished first.

Anyways here is something i pick up yesterday.

5f388b3cfea4a699b34df2b5e0e9a9bb.jpg

I also purchased a Marantz Sr 5004 to get me by. Once the drywall is done, i will finish the second Jamboree along with the th spud clone. Those will keep my family and i content until the rest is finished and the projector and screen are up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Redid the insulation as I didn't like how I had done it first. I have learned a few things. This I do know, before framing install rigid foam board. Then frame then insulation. All so I will only use Roxul from here on out. You will see 2 types, only as I wanted to use what I had. But I will see how this method holds up through the next several months when it comes to moisture issues.

Next is to wrap up some electrical, and the air duct. Then hopefully my bar plumbing. Then I should be ready to finish insulation, then drywall.

On this note there was minimal moisture which dissipated through the insulation like is should and dry up. I will check with a local supplier to see if they offer a better vapor retarder that helps control the vapor better.

But this method is the most promising at this point.

• Like 1

It is nice to see you are still plugging and chugging away at the HT.  This is a lot of work, lol.  But, It will be well worth all the work!  Thanks for the update. :)  Big Ten football is almost here!!!  We will see how Nebraska does against my Buckeyes this year. :P

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Well the deal on the Mara fell through, so i ended up scoring an Integra dtr 40.2 for $100.00 more. This unit has all the features I want including a phono input. Should see it by Thursday.

• Like 1

On this note there was minimal moisture which dissipated through the insulation like is should and dry up. I will check with a local supplier to see if they offer a better vapor retarder that helps control the vapor better.

But this method is the most promising at this point.

If I was building my room now, knowing what i know... I would use Roxul in the walls too.

• Like 1

Wow, can't believe its been 3 years since I have worked on this.  I guess that was right about the time I started my Associates degree.  Well I have started back up as I never made it past the last photo.   This time I told the wife (as long as funds will allow) I am finishing this thing (plus its the only way I would consider new flooring and paint upstairs).  I have decided to do things correctly, as it stands, I have pulled a permit,  and cleaned the basement out.  I will start jack hammering the floor for the wet bar, as I will need to run a drain from the bar to the other side of the room.  I will add a photo here shortly of the it cleaned out.  I really don't have much more to do, as I had a majority of the wiring done, I have some odds and ends I want to add, but for the most part, we are talking a days worth of wiring.  Once drain is installed, holes are sealed (as per code), I will start insulation.  It may still take a majority of the year, as we are heading into baseball and camping season, but I planned to be down with dry wall by time winter hits.  Please feel free to critique, as I don't want to leave out important stuff. 

Stay tuned.

looks like I have to resize some photos. 

• 4 weeks later...

just a couple of updates. 

the election stopped by and reconfigured some three/four way switches to just 3 way, as the 4 way was not needed.   

jack hammering of the concrete is complete and I have started the digging process.   I have sealed the framing at the top, any holes, and every 10 feet as required by code.  

i am hoping to have more if not all dug out by Monday.  then i just need to seal the ceiling under the stairs and i should be ready for inspection.  

20180506_121229.jpg

its a lot of work for a wet bar, but we don't plan on moving so this will be used regularly. 

weird,  the photo I am attempting to upload is only 1.89 mb, but it still wont let me.  I for the life of me wish there was a setting on my phone that would automatically reduce the file size.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, dtr20 said:

I use tapatalk to upload pictures to the forum. It resizes the photos in the process.

I used to use tapatalk, thinking I should go back.  how do you resize as you go?