kg 4.2. ....... center channel best match?

Arogers78

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums & Happy New Year!

Another KG 4.2 would be ideal; seems they did make a KG 2.2v designed to be a Center; but, I'd look for a pair of KG 5.2 to use as mains & use one of your 4.2s as Center.

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 1

Thanks for the in put. That seems to be a popular answer. I do have the kg 2.2v but I can barley hear it. I guess I'm on the look out for another kg 4.2. I have ran across a couple good deals on the academy but choose to wait bc most ppl say they r better matched for the fortes. With that being said in the process of building my 5.1 I'm going to have 3 kg 4.2's in the front and 2 kg 4.2's in the rear.

Thanks for the in put. That seems to be a popular answer. I do have the kg 2.2v but I can barley hear it. I guess I'm on the look out for another kg 4.2. I have ran across a couple good deals on the academy but choose to wait bc most ppl say they r better matched for the fortes. With that being said in the process of building my 5.1 I'm going to have 3 kg 4.2's in the front and 2 kg 4.2's in the rear.

Why can't you hear the 2.2?

4.2's all the way around sounds like a very good plan, but the 2.2v is a good center.

I'm not sure... I went in to the settings and turned the center channel all the way up. I could not hear much of any difference. I even used the mic to my yamaha to calibrate and still no real difference. I have 2 kg 4.2's as my 2 front channels and 4 yamaha's as my rear. (I want to replace the rears w/ 2 kg 4.2's)

4.2 will make a nice center. As previously ask... Whats wrong with your current center. Have you checked all settings? Positioning issue? Do you have audyessy or a similar eq? In my synergy room I had a huge issue with the center, had it below the tv on the tv stand. Moved it above the tv and it came to life. I think I was getting a reflection off my coffee table and by moving it changed the reflection point.

Thnx for the input guys...to answer your questions yes I have checked the settings.... Although I do have my 2.2 sitting on the floor because it will not fit on the shelf of my TV Stand. Although I have ordered a new componet shelves that I will then set the center channel which will be at eye level when sitting on the couch! Thank again for the info.

I have kgs in my theater room, when I first started building it I had a km-c center( kv-2 rebadged for military) on the floor due to a similar issue. No matter what I did the sound from it was non existent. Once it was brought up to ear level it was fine. I wanted more so I ended up retiring it and replacing it with a double kg5.5 center. Once I find the spare parts I will build a single kg5.5 center out of a spare cabinet I have and move the others to the rear.

• Like 1

Thnx for the input guys...to answer your questions yes I have checked the settings.... Although I do have my 2.2 sitting on the floor because it will not fit on the shelf of my TV Stand. Although I have ordered a new componet shelves that I will then set the center channel which will be at eye level when sitting on the couch! Thank again for the info.

My center is directly under my TV. I have my center angled up using a 2 ring binder beneath. That way the speaker is facing you (on-axis). It makes a big difference.

If it is flat on the floor that would be an issue, angle it up if it is not already. Anything between you and the 2.2? Table?

All the drivers working? Both woofs and the tweet?

There is only 2 dB diff between it and the 4.2's

Even angled the better solution is no more than 2 feet above or below the mains

A KV-3 offers the same 95 dB rating as the 4.2's, but maybe hard to find

Today new the KC-25 would be a good match and offer 98 dB, but you still need it off the floor even a foot would help

I used a KG 2.2v between two KG 5.2's and it sounded great. My in-laws have one between two K.G 3.2's, which also sounds great. Seems like something is holding it back (likely the floor placement). Just my humble $.02.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Looking for opinions on what center channel best matches my kg 4.2's. FYI my family and I watch a lot of movies and when the wife and kids are gone I listen to everything from rap, rock n roll, to hippie music from the 70's

while you can use what ever centre channel speaker you like remember that the centre channel speaker in a HT is responsibel for more than 60% of the sound track that you hear. The centre channel should be the best speaker in the system you should match the other speakers to the centre channel not the other way around. A full set of identical loudspeakers is the best option but not always practical. Best regards Moray James.

Thnx a lot guys I raised my center channel and WOW! I got that feeling like I just got a new speaker and in a sense I did. Although it took me hanging my TV on the wall and buying a componet rack just to have my center channel at ear level. Some may say that's too much work for placement of 1 speaker... I say do what makes you happy!

And yes I'm happy I absolutely love my KG 4.2's - KG 3.5's - KG 2.2v

• Like 2