RF 62 II issue

donpachi

hello Klipsch community

This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself first: my name is Arek, i was born in Poland and currently am living in Germany.

now to the problem at hand: I have owned a pair of Klipsch RF 62 II for about two years now. Coupled with marantz pm 7004 amp (new) they produced really nice and clear sound till about recently. Few weeks ago i noticed that one of the speakers didn't reproduce highs the way it used to and should.

This phenomenon would happen randomly for a few seconds or minutes and then just go away by itself, but for the past few days it persists constantly. In the meantime I checked cables and connections, tried another amp, everything to no avail - it points to one speaker being defect. I also connected other bookshelf speakers which work ok and reproduce whole frequency spectrum. As i said this only concerns highs and possibly also upper part of midrange, sounds like snare drums, hi-hats or some vocals come across as muddled and unclear, as if coming from an old AM radio whereas bass seems to be reproduced correctly.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause could be?

With best new year's wishes :)

Arek

are the jumpers connected in the set of binding posts on that particle speaker? i doubt that would be it due to sporadic sound happening but worth a look anyways. and i'd like to tell you its a tweeter since you said highs but snare drum is low enough that it could be a woofer. i guess you would have to start taking things apart to trouble shoot. but actually if you are close to a dealer they should have a 5 year warranty so klipsch should cover it. i think. not sure how international things work. good luck and welcome to the forum

Welcome Arek, it sounds like a bad HF drivers. Something inside the speaker is loose or broke. Scrappydue did mentiion that Klipsch should take care of it. Best of luck with the repair and the New Year. :)

derrick do you really think a snare drum is high enough in the frequency spectrum to come from the tweeter? maybe i'm crazy but i thought for sure that would be a woofer territory

edit: just read that a snare drum can be anywhere from 200-300 in the thump and all the way up to 15k for the sizzle of the snare. crazy had no clue.

either way two year old speakers will be under warranty. take em in and get em fixed for free. gotta love stuff with warranties.

Edited by Scrappydue

I sure have (re)tightened and (re)connected everything dozens of times with no effect whatsoever. Switched cables and connected speakers to opposite speaker terminals on the amplifier - it's always this one speaker that produces inadequate highs/high mids. I will play a little bit more with my setup and see what happens.

It sounds like a loose connection on the INSIDE of the loudspeaker. None of the internal wiring is soldered, just attached using disconnects. This very well could be at at the crossover, which is attached to the rear of the terminal cup (where the binding posts are). You will need a torx bit #20 to remove the screws.

thx DeanG, fortunately i have a set of torx so i guess i will try to get things done this weekend.

also thank you to all who replied, and let me just mention that only by casually browsing this forum i get the impression that somehow Klispch community seems to be the most responsive and also friendliest of all audio-related fora i have ever visited :)

cheers

I think i got it! as DeanG suggested first i opened the crossover section at the back where binding posts are, but everything seemed fine there, connections were tight and stable, then i opened the front of the speaker to check the tweeter and indeed connects were loose and would move easily. I moved them into position and pressed slightly so they were tight. To test if it worked i played some drum loops in a sound editor and the highs in hi-hats and snare drum sounds were back and also in vocals i could hear sibilants again as well. Thx guys, now I can enjoy music again :)

cheers

I think i got it! as DeanG suggested first i opened the crossover section at the back where binding posts are, but everything seemed fine there, connections were tight and stable, then i opened the front of the speaker to check the tweeter and indeed connects were loose and would move easily. I moved them into position and pressed slightly so they were tight. To test if it worked i played some drum loops in a sound editor and the highs in hi-hats and snare drum sounds were back and also in vocals i could hear sibilants again as well. Thx guys, now I can enjoy music again :)

cheers

Congrats :D .

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...