sub in ceiling.

Taz

Here's the backside of mine prior to completion,CarlPrearSide.jpg

I can picture those on the back side of wakejunkie's cabinet under his screen.

Behind my cabinet is a concrete block wall. Not to mention my masking slides down behind it also.

I think my right side wall is my only option.

I built a 5 sided box and hid it behind the upstair wall when I took in the upstairs. I had 8 Eminence woofers firing inward with a 15 x 15" opening in the wall being pushed with a 150wpc "Paramount" sub amp sold years ago by apexjr.com. It will almost move the couch my wife put in front of it.

You can so same thing just have the opening at bottom.

Or you could built a 20Hz tapped horn (ala "Volvotreter.com') website using a 15" Eminence woofer. I recently built a 20 hz folded horn design for a friend powered by an Infinity 1260W car woofer that measures 16 x 16 x 84". It is heavy and wouldn't be fun to move in attic but you could lay it flat since the opening is at the bottom front. My friend is pushing it with an M&K 250wpc and it vibrates cedar shingles on the side of his house. Good luck.

post-21976-0-63640000-1389136671_thumb.jpost-21976-0-25440000-1389136705_thumb.j

It would be very difficult for me to put over chairs at the wall farthest from the TV. The slope of roof is not very steep and I doubt I would have 12" to work in there. Thus I would have to move it out from the wall. Over the TV is actually in the middle of the room Which is pretty much under the peak of the roof. And that is none to high.

John

This ceiling job has me thinking. Is sub placement in the room really that important with an IB?

It seems to me, with ceiling mounted subs, you will have fewer room mode issues. I was speaking with an engineer at Danley's one day, and he said they had success firing subs downward. Think about it, with subs firing down, the standing waves would be more horizontal rather than vertical.

This ceiling job has me thinking. Is sub placement in the room really that important with an IB?

It seems to me, with ceiling mounted subs, you will have fewer room mode issues. I was speaking with an engineer at Danley's one day, and he said they had success firing subs downward. Think about it, with subs firing down, the standing waves would be more horizontal rather than vertical.

What's the difference between that and having your subs on the floor firing upward?

What's the difference between that and having your subs on the floor firing upward?

You mean IB in the floor?

I suppose you could flip a THT on it's back and see what happens. Wonder if Bill Fitzmaurice ever tried it. The guys at Danley were hanging monster subs over parishioners in one of those big churches. I wouldn't sit under one of those beasts.

I did a little reading of IB subs from the suggestion on the first page of this post.it says for IBs to produce distortion free sound the drivers should be in pairs and installed across from each other in the chamber to cross cancel the cone distortion. That has me wondering if you could just do a clamshell isobaric with them instead and get the same results.

I did a little reading of IB subs from the suggestion on the first page of this post.it says for IBs to produce distortion free sound the drivers should be in pairs and installed across from each other in the chamber to cross cancel the cone distortion. That has me wondering if you could just do a clamshell isobaric with them instead and get the same results.

I always thought it was for cancelling mechanical vibration.

That's ridonculous. Makes an IB install child's play by comparison.

Now that you mentioned it, it makes me wonder why that guy never considered a ib sub. Seems he has lots of space up.

For the price of those drivers, he could have bought a wall full of IB drivers.

Still working on the WAF.

They have one of the highest WAF factors out there. Any type of acoustically transparent material can be used as a cover. You also get better room WAF as there's no sub there anymore. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Yes she is liking the idea of getting rid of the two sub cabinets sitting in the family room. Just not warming up yet to the idea of a large square or rectangular hole in the ceiling covered or not.