Question about optical outputs.

ChrisF

I have my home theater set up as a 7.1 system and when I use the optical cable coming out of my tv (watching Netflix on my Xbox 360 and Xbox One) the voices come from the FR speaker instead of Center. All of my speaker wires are in the correct channel outputs according to which speaker is where. When I run HDMI through the receiver everything is fine, my issue is just when I run optical.

My setup is this: Yamaha RXV573 receiver, Klipsch SW112 sub, Klipsch F-30 floor standing speakers acting as FR and FL, and Klipsch Quintetv's as Center, R, L, BR, BL. Tv is the Samsung UN55ES8000.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Moderators

That's a strange one Chris. Just curious why you have the Optical coming from your TV? Have you considered running everything (cable box, xbox 360 etc) into the receiver. That way your receiver can act as the hub for both audio and video switching.

Not really following your issue here... If you are watching netflix on Xbox, how does a optical cable running from the TV (to the receiver?) come into the equation? Signal path should move from Xbox HDMI to receiver, then HDMI out off receiver to TV HDMI input. I must be missing something.

I dont know of a way to allow sound to pass through to the receiver to the tv when I only want to use the tv speakers. I dont use my surround sound a lot, mostly just for watching movies with my PS3, which is ran through the receiver with HDMI. My 360, One, and Cable box are all ran to the tv with optical ran back to the receiver.

• Moderators

I agree with Holt. If you run everything into the receiver, then out of the receiver via HDMI to the TV, you can turn down the volume on your receiver for the surround sound and then turn up the volume on the TV for the times that you don't want to use the surround sound. That would solve your channel issues when watching movies.

I believe your HDMI on your receiver would pass through the audio signal to the TV, so as Youthman suggests you could turn down the surround and turn up the speakers on the TV. If your receiver / TV settings or hardware doesn't allow you to do this for whatever reason, try and re-rig your current set up by running all components through your receiver, then optical audio from the receiver to the TV to get an audio signal to the TV that way. And for that matter, why not just go with RCA output from the receiver to the TV for sound? I don't know about new HDTV speakers, but I doubt you are going to lose any sound quality dropping out optical.

It does seem odd that the audio from the current setup is playing through the wrong channels. However, I would strongly advise running all your components through the receiver alone. Too many products these days try and do more than they are honestly capable of and end up not doing a very good job at it IMHO, which could be part of the root problem here.

why don't you just use your HT speakers all of the time? thats a weird one though.

That's what I was thinking. And if you can't use the speakers all the time due to children, wife, neighbors, or something of the sort. Get a pair of cans. I like throwing on headphones every once in awhile and listening to material whether it be music, movie, etc. Is it the same as listening to my system, absolutely not, but I certainly prefer it over listening to TV speakers.

Or try changing from 7.1 to 2.0 stereo listening on that particular source where the issue is occurring and see what happens.

Edited by johnnydrama

Im 8 feet from the tv so I dont mind the tv speakers. Cant use surround all the time because it pisses off my neighbors, mainly the sub. I cannot run optical sound from the reciever to the tv because the tv does not have an optical input, only an output.

I fixed the issue. Swapped the optical cable and it fixed it. Old one must have had a fracture in the glass.

I sell this stuff for a living but I am far from an expert with receivers, I can tell you anything about a tv.

I dont know of a way to allow sound to pass through to the receiver to the tv when I only want to use the tv speakers.

I don't know why you'd ever want to use TV speakers. I never installed mine when I set everything up.

Edited by CECAA850

I use monitor speakers for everything broadcast... your receiver should automatically "pass thru" sound via hdmi UNLESS the receiver is powered on.

the only time I am running my speakers/amp system is during movies or 2 channel.

I go from the cable box via hdmi to the receiver and to the monitor via hdmi.

Edited by Schu

I dont know of a way to allow sound to pass through to the receiver to the tv when I only want to use the tv speakers.

I don't know why you'd ever want to use TV speakers. I never installed mine when I set everything up.

I use my tv speakers probably half the time . I don't feel the need to fire my system up when I'm watching CNN the tv speakers are more than adequate for that .

I would not use the optical out from the tv though . Mine is set up with an hdmi cable straight from my cable box to the tv . I then use an optical cable from the cable box to my pre/pro when I do want surround from broadcast tv . Been doing this for years and it works great for me . Just go into you're cable/sat box settings and make sure the output is set for surround not stereo .