Need help with the arrived Moondogs

Lonestar,

This is where a dealer can be very helpful. I just did a quick bit of poking about and found a place called Ken Bridge's Audio Video, Inc, at 1017 South Staples in Corpus, (361) 883-9008. I'd give them a call, and see if they'ed be willing to let you bring the amps down there, and connect them to something, and see if they work. If not, someone there might be able to help you pinpoint what broke, so you have something to go back to the seller with.

I don't know anything about the dealer, but thought it was worth a shot - can't hurt to ask.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, of course. I should have remember the information from his earlier posts. I was just thinking along the lines of them not putting out any sound. What a doofus I am.

That is interesting about the receptacle being "hot". Maybe a flipped breaker?

f>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Klipsch RF7s - AE-25 DJH - AE-3 DJH - Sony 9000ES

f>s>

Mobile,

I don't know anything about this amps.

Should Mike not be able to take all the tubes out, go to V4 and between ground and at least one of the socket holes read 5V? That looks like the AC input path. That would check the AC plug, switch and fuse.

Danny

That's a good thought, Ray. But I would actually avoid the dealer as almost ALL dealers will be completely fummoxed by something like a SET amp of the Moondog variety. Most would be less than helpful and judging by the many dealers I have visited, most of the tech will have never even seen something of this nature (nor understand it much), this even with HIGH end places.

OF course, there are plenty of exceptions. But I find it more the norm unfortunately. This might be a last ditch effort and then, only after a probing phone call.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-11-2002 at 12:15 PM

Its the missing tube pins, see if you can find any loose tube pins in the packaging and poke them back into the empty holes. All kidding aside, I did not see a response to the question about your AC source. Are you plugging the moondoggies into a wall socket, power strip, or the back of some other component? Are you absolutely confident you are plugging into a hot source? Did you find that slim power switch on the units that was mentioned?

Calm down, don't worry, everything is fixable and all will end up just fine.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

I called Ron Welborne and he suggested as you had Kelly to check the fuses. Ron told me to get 1.5 amp

250v slo-blow fuses. He suggested it could be a variety of problems-tubes,

bad power switches, possibly damaged in shipping or sold an amp in need of repair. I have replaced the fuses. The amps powered up. The left Cornwall has an audible constant hum.

The right amp has 2 tube glowing-1 CV378 & 1 Brimar 6SN7, cant tell about the 2A3 tube. The left amp has no glowing tubes. I let the tubes warm up for 10 minutes & tried to play a cd, no music will play. Thank you all for being so helpful & supportive. Also Ron said the amps are triple boxed from them. I am very frustrated.

Regards, Mike

------------------

This message has been edited by LonestarBlues on 07-11-2002 at 01:00 PM

REally a strange set of circumstances that probably involves a few things going wrong in conjuction.

For a slight hum, listen to the offending speaker and slowly turn the corresponding HUM POT between the transformers of the amp to that speaker. This might reduce the hum to nill or very low. You also sound like some tube trouble in that amp.

Depower and exchange tubes. Let me get this straight. are you saying that once again, THERE IS NOT music coming from either amp?

I have a feeling you might have blown the fuses inadvertently upon first power up. You need to really take care here, especially since this is your first tube component. Retrace everything and try to be logical here. The fact that you are not getting any sound from either monoblock is still puzzling.

Please double check all connections, source selection, preamps outs etc. EVERYTHING. And try not to be so frustrated. This is problem solving 101 and happens all through life whether in Audio, auto, a ceiling fan installation, or left turn where a right turn would have worked....

This is good for your skull contents!

kh

"Practically new condition, 6 months old, very light use. Factory assembled with ultimate parts upgrade (see Welborne site). Sovtek 2A3 tubes. "

Did this seller at least "double box" these for shipping? Did the boxes look like they were handled roughly? I have received many electronic units through a variety of shipping methods and usually they are fine. I only once refused a single boxed amp which had things rattling around. I did not even open the box but refused it and sent it back to the incompetent sender for a refund.

Seems unlikely anyone associated with your Welborne units would have been careless, not for that price range. Were the tubes separately wrapped and packaged so that they could not have conceivably been abused in shipping? They were not shipped while plugged into the sockets, right?

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

C&S, as your self appointed attorney, I advise you to actually read the posts above your own. The last two posts of yours refer to items already answered and explained within preceeding posts.

Still, some good points, regardless.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-11-2002 at 02:09 PM

Through trial & error, the help of y'all & Ron Welborne I am up & running. After changing both fuses I could not get sound. I started swapping tubes between the amps & I got one amp to play music. The other amp would not play. I took the tubes out, disconnected & took the bottom plate off again. The new fuse looked good but I went ahead & replaced it. That worked & both amps are working right now. Something I don't understand. When I had the left channel working on the Cornwalls. I could switch out the 2A3 tubes on the one working amp. One 2A3 tube had good sound, the other tube had constrained sound on the vocals. When I put that 2A3 tube in the the other amp it sounds good. I was playing the Flatlanders new cd Now Again with Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely & Butch Hancock. I have adjusted the hum pots

& have not totally eliminated the hum. The hum is only there when no music is playing but it comes through the woofer, midrange & tweeter. Is this normal? I used to get a very faint white noise from the Mcintosh

MC 7150 amp if you put your ear right next to the tweeter. The amp does have Jensen oil caps. Listening to some Freddie King right now. I love the blues & sounds really good through the Moondogs. Thanks guys.

Regards, Mike

------------------

Turn the hum pots one at a time to attempt to get rid of the remaining hum on each side. This is a 10 second fix for each amp that is WORTH the 10 seconds tenfold.

Glad you are up and running. Listen, it should not just merely "sound great"... it should be a complete transformation nee revelation! That is just how different they should be properly functioning and warmed up. Since it has the Black Gate caps, you should leave them on for as long as possible. Also, you are going to get a change in sound going with different input/driver tubes. Did he give you the stock 6SN7 tubes?

When you get your new preamp and some quality wire, the sound will LITERALLY take a huge leap. Despite what others say here, many who have not heard SET in a properly functioning or setup system, this is going to make a BIG change. The love of MAC runs deep, and I understand that love. But the sonics are going to be a surprise when you opt for an alternate solution.

Let the beasts warm up and keep playing.. You will notice improvements as the day wears on.

kh

Mike,

Mobile replied before I did.

I wish I could explain it like Mobile does.

Leave them on 24x7. When you listen to them Friday afternoon they are going to sound so much better.

I was listening to Little Charlie and the Nightcats (That's Big) and I thought I was in a club. It just sounds so life like.

I'm getting this sound and my tubes are at least 3 years old.

This is the first time I've been able to sit back and enjoy the music and not wonder if I changed the speaker wire would this improve or if I changed the IC would this sound difference.

At least you got to trouble shoot your system, fix it yourself and not cost an arm and a leg.

Danny

Congratulations on getting them running Mike. I agree with the others, leave them running for long periods of time. I usually turn mine on at least Friday morning and leave them on all weekend, if I am going to be doing much listening during the next week I just leave them on all week.

I don't think he has stock 6SN7's as he said one that was glowing was a Brimar. Are all your 6SN7s Brimars?

Anywho give us another listening report after they have been running a couple of hours!

Hello Danny. I am listening to The Best Of Freddie King-The Shelter Records Years. I like the new Flatlanders of course I am probably prejudiced since I am a Texan. I lived In Lubbock, Texas from

Dec. of 1988 to Aug. of 1994 back when I was in the oil & gas industry

working for Amoco Production Co. Joe

Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Butch Hancock lived in Lubbock back in the

early 70's & cut an album that did not sale very well. Rounder Records rereleased it in 1990 & renamed it More A Legend Than A Band. All of us South Texans that were tranferred out to West Texas did not care very much

for West Texas. West Texas is ugly, dry & flat. You have cotton, cattle & oil & gas as your main industries. There is not a whole lot to do out there. That is why Lubbock has produced alot of good musicians. Texas Tech University is located there, population is around 195,000.

Listening to some Al Dimeola-Electric Anthology right now. Ed the 6SN7 tubes are all Brimar, the CV378 tubes are Valve Electronic & Sovtek 2A3 tubes. He did not have the stock 6SN7 tubes.

Regards, Mike

------------------

This message has been edited by LonestarBlues on 07-11-2002 at 06:11 PM

I don't listen much to that there "country" music, but I saw Jimmie Dale Gilmore once in concert and was really taken by his lyrical wit. My favorite song, which I still remember about 5 years later was called "My mind has a mind of it's own." I don't know if he wrote it, but it was a great tune.

And I am SOOOO glad your amps are working!!!!

I need to add that you really need to get your front end as good as it can possibly get. Also, get your Cornwalls setup in the basic equilateral triangle if you can with nothing in between you and the speakers such as chairs, couches, lazyboys, oversize coffee tables, human bodies, knickknackpaddiwacks etc.

To hell with Audiophile this or that. I dont like the connotations that ride along with this word, a word that usually denotes equipment before music and someone into the hobby aspect without the music side. But the truth is, paying attention to the subtle details makes an amazing difference in the sonics and how well your system will perform.

Take the distance you have the speakers apart and add a bit to your distance away from the centerline. Position your chair directly inbetween. I prefer the CW out from the wall/corners although I cant do it here as much as I would like currently. Bringing them out from the wall cleans up imaging greatly. I see people here with the speakers against the wall and pointing straight ahead with objects between speakers and inbetween the listening chair and speakers and know that the soundstage and that amazing illusion is not working totally. Many dont care and enjoy the music regardless. That's fine. But there is a certain magic that arrives when these details are met that leaves you dumbfounded. It can be a chilling revaltion, especially in conjuction with excellent tube components mated with these excellent speakers. Once you lock into this, you will know what I am referring to.

As for music, play the music that you love the most. Remember, however, that Klipsch Heritage speakers mated with really revealing amplification can be ruthless with bad recordings, especially those poorly recorded with electronic instruments. I have to come clean in saying I prefer jazz and classical on Klipsch Heritage and SET. I play my heavier recordings on the Moondog setup as well but if I am honest with myself, I think I actually prefer the vintage EICO for heavier material, depending on what it is. If you are heavily into more electronic jazz, the quality of the recording can sometimes play a huge role. Well recorded analog LPs are amazing on this type of system, easily outpacing digital. Although the Rega is one of he least offensive of the players.

Let us now how things are progressing.

kh

Once again I ditto what kh said about your listening area. If you can get stuff out of the way between you and the speakers it makes a huge difference!

I used to have a little 'ole pool table between the sweet spot and the K-horns. Once I took it down the improvement was amazing! LOL!

In the new listening room I have only a pair of Ekornes® Stressless chairs between the K-horns and the listening position. My wife started looking at coffee tables, fancy end tables, lamps etc. but I nixed that idea real quick. A small end table by each chair will be OK so I can place my beverage of choice (and remote) within easy reach.

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-11-2002 at 06:40 PM