La Scala riser's?

Taz

So I got this pair of La Scala's that I was not looking for, and seems I remember some talk about building a riser that influenced the bass. Seems like it had 2 ports coming out the front.

I'm thinking that this is something I can do. If I don't like it I'm only out some plywood and maybe a little plastic pipe. Unless I could put square ports. As long as I can change it back to stock if I want.

I wonder what, if any the difference between round vs rectangular ports might make. This would defiantly have to have WAF with looks as well as sound.

John

• Like 2

LaScalas...cool!

Round look nice. Guessing if the dimensions are near those of the round in size, you should be good to go. Although, thinking there is more to it. Also guessing you did a search and found the most unobtrusive method for the add-on riser.

Whatever works for making it acceptable.

• Like 2

• Moderators
If I don't like it I'm only out some plywood and maybe a little plastic pipe. Unless I could put square ports. As long as I can change it back to stock if I want

Don't you have to cut into the LaScala to do it ? Was thinking you did ?

Not for bass help but the old type angled risers would tilt it upwards to point more to the right direction, like some Heresy's have.

Not for bass help but the old type angled risers would tilt it upwards to point more to the right direction, like some Heresy's have.

I did that recently by modifying these $10 wedges;

MIW-L.jpg

No measurements or Audyssey yet but the 'ear test' indicates a minor improvement. I have to hook up a recently purchased power amp before I use Audyssey to blend 'em in.

post-28997-0-53880000-1392327266_thumb.j

post-28997-0-45560000-1392327279_thumb.j

Edited by iRONic

• Moderators
did that recently by modifying these $10 wedges;

Now that's a cool idea, much better than the wood, you get a nice cushion. It may even help people in apartments to isolate some of the sound going into the floor ?

If I don't like it I'm only out some plywood and maybe a little plastic pipe. Unless I could put square ports. As long as I can change it back to stock if I want

Don't you have to cut into the LaScala to do it ? Was thinking you did ?

Looking for more Bass. But if I have to cut into original speaker, I Just ain't a gonna do it.

• Moderators
What gives you the idea that anything is cut?

It was me that asked that.

Didn't know if was the mod I had seen a good while back, whoever it was cut into the LaScala to add a box on the bottom. I thought it was crazy and couldn't figure out how he worked that out, I would imagine it would be really complex to get that right.

Just asked to make sure it was not that change, I would not try that myself.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

The box is added to the bottom, after the woofer access door is removed. No cutting. For the OLD La Scalas, with the woofer access on the top, enclosing the top is the reversible option.

Ok, thanks I get it now, that is not the one I had seen, that's not a problem to try then. It was a long time ago and it made crazy thinking about doing that.

The box is added to the bottom, after the woofer access door is removed. No cutting. For the OLD La Scalas, with the woofer access on the top, enclosing the top is the reversible option.

Ok, thanks I get it now, that is not the one I had seen, that's not a problem to try then. It was a long time ago and it made crazy thinking about doing that.

There are some great threads on this out there. Unfortunately, the forum search function leaves a lot to be desired.

Dennis has all the info memorized, I'm certain.