MM Cartridge, c. 400.00 or so recommendations wanted!

Mallette

The first record I put on was a 1965 Louis Armstrong and the width and depth of the stage was downright marvelous. The group was spread from mid-LF/LR all around and so perfectly in place you felt you could reach out and touch Louis. While this has been a great sounding disc on anything, here I could really tell just how close Louis was hugging the microphone.

On that Hafler disc, I remain completely amazed. SO much more natural sounding than most multi-channel recordings. Having been re-invigorated with DynaQuad I am now thinking I want to experiment using summing boxes to sum the LF/LR and RF/RR channels during recording with SoundCube. What would be interesting would be to use my Sony R2R at the same time to see if there is really a difference with how DynaQuad reacts to digital sources as opposed to analog.

The Virgil Fox "Fox Touch" was totally over the top yummy, as was the Sheffield "Moscow Sessions."

I'll be doing some serious LP listening for a while.

Dave

Yezzir. When user reviews and mag reviews all line up as well as they did on this cart it's a no brainer. I expected to have to really wade through a lot of options.

While not cheap, price/performance is excellent.

Dave

O, I DO, I DO like the shibata!

BTW, yesterday I dug out my Command Enoch Light compendium. No fan of the music itself, really dated, but these guys were ENGINEERS. At LEAST 50% hotter than the average LP, dead silent with a dab of DBX, impact that blows yer socks right offen yer feet, and separation...OK, too much...but they were heady with power back then. Here's the kicker. I was reading the cover about "Dimension 3" when I'd just been noticing the gaping hole in the middle of the image. Next track, a ghost center appears rock solid to fill in. Since it was a compilation, there was earlier stuff before they discovered panning!

Really extraordinary work and I really enjoyed the "in your face" horns and such. Not that I care for a steady diet...

Dave